•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion ST80 is back

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#176 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:42 AM

Anyone know what size rings the ST80 needs?  I have around 3.5" ID rings for my 90mm Orion and wonder if they are the same size.

Chas:

They should fit. ST-80s use 90mm rings as do most 90 mm scopes. 3.5 inches = 88.9 mm, I suspect what you have are 90 mm rings anyway.

Jon

• Rock22 likes this

#177 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:55 AM

Chas:

They should fit. ST-80s use 90mm rings as do most 90 mm scopes. 3.5 inches = 88.9 mm, I suspect what you have are 90 mm rings anyway.

Jon

The 90mm tube looks the same OD as most 80mm scopes do.  If i ever get my ST80 i will know. Been stuck in GA for three days so may have been lost.

#178 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 12 December 2020 - 10:55 AM

I had an Orion ST80 about twenty years ago. It was a good sample because it was a wonderful little scope. I used it so much because it was so convenient. Then about eight or ten years ago I foolishly let it go. I missed it so much, I made one. This one has even sharper optics. (I managed to get an older Vixen 80mm x 400mm objective for it.) it’s all CNC cut and anodized. Heavy little sucker tho, it weighs six pounds. It’s on a Bogen 3040 tripod with a Baader Vixen-style clamping saddle and an ADM Vixen-style short rails which allows for better balancing as the focuser is heavy. The tube, drawtube, and dew shield are flocked.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7377BB62-3966-4424-9D81-70D76B467011.jpeg
  • C3FA812D-BC23-4ED7-A650-6929E524749C.jpeg

• Joe Bergeron, Jon Isaacs, Sarkikos and 6 others like this

#179 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 12 December 2020 - 10:56 AM

It’s quite compact in its travel case:

Attached Thumbnails

• 7C22E0EA-AF27-42D6-A27D-C275FC68CB29.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 12 December 2020 - 10:58 AM.

• Joe Bergeron, paul, Sarkikos and 5 others like this

#180 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 12 December 2020 - 11:01 AM

I had an Orion ST80 about twenty years ago. It was a good sample because it was a wonderful little scope. I used it so much because it was so convenient. Then about eight or ten years ago I foolishly let it go. I missed it so much, I made one. This one has even sharper optics. (I managed to get an older Vixen 80mm x 400mm objective for it.) it’s all CNC cut and anodized. Heavy little sucker tho, it weighs six pounds. It’s on a Bogen 3040 tripod with a Baader Vixen-style clamping saddle and an ADM Vixen-style short rails which allows for better balancing as the focuser is heavy. The tube, drawtube, and dew shield are flocked.

That scope is like Absolut Vodka, its about as good as you can get ! Clear absolut skies !   PS:  Its my favorite !

Edited by LDW47, 12 December 2020 - 11:04 AM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#181 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 12 December 2020 - 11:16 AM

That scope is like Absolut Vodka, its about as good as you can get ! Clear absolut skies !   PS:  Its my favorite !

Thanks! I enjoy it a lot. It’s currently my Jupiter/Saturn conjunction observing scope. It’s great with a 28mm Edmund RKE eyepiece. I also love my Meade Series 4000 18mm and 13.8mm SWAs and my Ultima 2X triplet shorty barlow is I want to punch it up. And yes, I love Absolut Vodka too!

Attached Thumbnails

• FDB673A0-6490-4067-B66D-713D99A65B66.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 12 December 2020 - 11:42 AM.

• Joe Bergeron, Sarkikos, Don Taylor and 4 others like this

#182 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 40°28'36.8"N 75°12'30.5"W

Posted 12 December 2020 - 12:13 PM

Thanks! I enjoy it a lot. It’s currently my Jupiter/Saturn conjunction observing scope. It’s great with a 28mm Edmund RKE eyepiece. I also love my Meade Series 4000 18mm and 13.8mm SWAs and my Ultima 2X triplet shorty barlow is I want to punch it up. And yes, I love Absolut Vodka too!

50707773667_b824a98efc_k.jpg 

That's what I'm using my ST80 for also.  With a 9mm Expanse clone, it showed both planets well.

My 24mm 68* ES eyepiece is what lives in it the most when not doing something vaguely planetary.

Edited by BlueTrane2028, 12 December 2020 - 12:13 PM.

• Terra Nova, SpaceConqueror3 and James1996 like this

#183 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Ranger 4

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:07 PM

You can also suspend that bottle of Jack Daniels from the tripod for less vibrations as you 'up' the magnification.  Although I suspect it will become less effective as the night wears on.  At least it would if it were hanging on my tripod.

• Terra Nova likes this

#184 Andynator

Andynator

Vostok 1

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 12 December 2020 - 02:50 PM

Anyone know what size rings the ST80 needs? I have around 3.5" ID rings for my 90mm Orion and wonder if they are the same size.

3.5 inches / 90mm is exactly right.
  • SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#185 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 December 2020 - 07:45 PM

You can also suspend that bottle of Jack Daniels from the tripod for less vibrations as you 'up' the magnification.  Although I suspect it will become less effective as the night wears on.  At least it would if it were hanging on my tripod.

I’ll tell you one thing though as the Jack becomes less affective you will start seeing a lot more through the scope when you gaze skyward, lol ! The sky will be crammed full of pink stars and maybe even the odd elephant, happens to me every time, lol !

• Terra Nova likes this

#186 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Ranger 4

Posted 12 December 2020 - 09:17 PM

I’ll tell you one thing though as the Jack becomes less affective you will start seeing a lot more through the scope when you gaze skyward, lol ! The sky will be crammed full of pink stars and maybe even the odd elephant, happens to me every time, lol !

Exactly!  And constellations you never knew existed!  And your wife yelling out the back door "What the hell are you doing out there? The neighbors are threatening to call the police!" 

And the next morning when you discover your first supernova ... only to realize that it's exploding inside your head.  And when you're finally able to focus again and write - 'Note to self: next time use a bucket with sand in it.' 

• LDW47, Terra Nova, James1996 and 1 other like this

#187 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:10 AM

Exactly!  And constellations you never knew existed!  And your wife yelling out the back door "What the hell are you doing out there? The neighbors are threatening to call the police!" 

And the next morning when you discover your first supernova ... only to realize that it's exploding inside your head.  And when you're finally able to focus again and write - 'Note to self: next time use a bucket with sand in it.' 

LOL !

#188 Cajunchuck

Cajunchuck

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lafayette, La

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:21 AM

My ST 80-A is supposed to be delivered Tuesday.  I have the GSO 2-speed focuser in my cart at Agena right now. Do I click the "buy" button or not?  So tempting and I know it will be a worthwhile upgrade but sheesh.  I don't even have the darn scope in my hands yet!  Help me decide folks.

#189 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:30 AM

My ST80 has the original focuser. I did change out the focus wheels with nice alum ones, bought wheels in classifieds. I use my ES68 24mm eyepiece, which gives me 4 degrees, 17x, and 4.8 exit pupil. Of course you can get wider fields with the 2” focuser. 

My focuser is fine, it came stock excellent. I was tempted several times to upgrade focuser but in the end am very happy with original focuser and alum wheels . Of course many upgrade here. Christmas is coming and that would make a great treat. Good luck deciding.

#190 Cajunchuck

Cajunchuck

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

Thanks!  went ahead and ordered it, along with a 2" diagonal.  I figure since I plan for this to be my most often used scope (most nights I'm beat after work and want a really quick grab and go setup) I might as well spend the cash to get the most out of it.

• BFaucett likes this

#191 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 13 December 2020 - 12:44 PM

Canjunchuck,

Great. You will be so happy with upgrades. I have other scopes with 2” , dual speed focusers and like them. You will be getting some really wide views. If you don’t have this calculator try it out,

I use it often. A most useful tool.

https://skyandtelesc...ope-calculator/

#192 Cajunchuck

Cajunchuck

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:08 PM

I suppose now I am going to be searching for a cheap alt-az mount as I don't think my little photo tripod will handle the additional weight of the aftermarket focuser/diagonal/eyepiece too well.  It never ends, does it?undecided.gif

#193 Cajunchuck

Cajunchuck

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:39 PM

I would assume these are newly manufactured, but exact same specs? Mostly concerned with focuser replacement. 

I am curious as well and I do not see where this has been answered.  https://agenaastro.c...patibility.html  This link to the focuser compatibility page at Agena might suggest otherwise.  Scroll down to near the bottom and there is a comment from someone stating that the new ST 80's hole spacing is different and they may now be using sheet metal screws instead of M4s.  Hmmm...  I wonder if he may be referring to the cheaper CT80?  I hope so.  In any event it should be a quick fix.

#194 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:39 PM

No it never ends. Fun of hobby and empty pockets.   Popular mount Orion VersaGo II Altazimuth Telescope Mount.

I have the Skywatcher version which came with   1 3/4”  ST. ST. legs, mine had nice metal ball bearings on-altitude.  Don’t know what the VersaGo II has for Alt. bearings, of course it has aluminum  legs, in my experience stainless are sturdier.

A lot of people like Orion VersaGo  II , I like mine ( Skywatcher version) feels like the interface disappears as I scan  the Milky Way, Nebula, Clusters,  etc. I’m sure you will get lots of advise from others on mounts. 
Perfect for the ST80 and more.

https://www.telescop...unt/p/10105.uts

Happy hunting.

#195 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 13 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

I'm as open to spending money on this hobby as anyone out there... but objectively, is there anything that an ST80 or clone does that a OneSky 130mm reflector can't?

Certainly a few things:

You can use it for terrestrial observing.

It can work on a very heavy photo tripod.

It can be a guide scope.

#196 Voyager1

Voyager1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 13 December 2020 - 02:49 PM

So an alt az mount without slo mo controls is ok with the ST80 because its forte is wide field scanning not high power?   

Would a photo tripod like a Bogen professional (30XX) series would work with a regular head? Or would it need to be a pan head? 

#197 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 13 December 2020 - 04:30 PM

No it never ends. Fun of hobby and empty pockets.   Popular mount Orion VersaGo II Altazimuth Telescope Mount.

I have the Skywatcher version which came with   1 3/4”  ST. ST. legs, mine had nice metal ball bearings on-altitude.  Don’t know what the VersaGo II has for Alt. bearings, of course it has aluminum  legs, in my experience stainless are sturdier.

A lot of people like Orion VersaGo  II , I like mine ( Skywatcher version) feels like the interface disappears as I scan  the Milky Way, Nebula, Clusters,  etc. I’m sure you will get lots of advise from others on mounts. 
Perfect for the ST80 and more.

https://www.telescop...unt/p/10105.uts

Happy hunting.

+1 on the VersaGo II  mount.  If you want lighter you can go with a Stellarvue M1 mount head on a photo tripod 

#198 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 13 December 2020 - 04:40 PM

So an alt az mount without slo mo controls is ok with the ST80 because its forte is wide field scanning not high power?   

Would a photo tripod like a Bogen professional (30XX) series would work with a regular head? Or would it need to be a pan head? 

You definitely don't need slow motion controls with a wide field scope.

Even for high power views you don't need the slow motion controls.  You guide with simple movement of the diagonal.   Keep in mind that all the high end alt-az mounts don't have slow motion controls. Discmount DM6 and DM4, the Losmandy AZ8, Stellervue M2C, and Explore Scientific Twilight II for example don't have slow motion controls 

• Sarkikos, Far-Out and Voyager1 like this

#199 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 December 2020 - 05:29 PM

Even for high power views you don't need the slow motion controls.  You guide with simple movement of the diagonal.   Keep in mind that all the high end alt-az mounts don't have slow motion controls. Discmount DM6 and DM4, the Losmandy AZ8, Stellervue M2C, and Explore Scientific Twilight II for example don't have slow motion controls 

Then how do you view at 500x?

#200 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 13 December 2020 - 06:37 PM

Even for high power views you don't need the slow motion controls. You guide with simple movement of the diagonal. Keep in mind that all the high end alt-az mounts don't have slow motion controls. Discmount DM6 and DM4, the Losmandy AZ8, Stellervue M2C, and Explore Scientific Twilight II for example don't have slow motion controls

Well the Discmount is a unique design that apparantly don't need slow motion controls due to the design/size of the discs.

But I would not say "all" of the high end alt-azimuth mounts lack slow motion controls. Rowan and AYO are certainly high end alt-azimuth mounts and they do come with slow motion control knobs.

But you're right that its not needed for a wide field scope. I have my ST-80 clone on a fluid head video tripod.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 13 December 2020 - 06:39 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics