•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

mini Shoot-out: Pentax vs. Canon... shocking results!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

Stan:

Thanks. Short eye relief tends to be a problem for me on cool nights as the eye lenses generally fog up quickly. I attribute this to moisture from my eye. Hand holding the 20x60s would be my hope. 

Anyway, I did say that I dislike being a party pooper and I think it's time to get back to Nate and his reasoned and enjoyable review/comparison.  Realistically, I'm not investing in any IS binos, too much moolah, too much whizbang. The most sophisticated electronics I use on my scopes/binos is a Telrad.

If I want stable views without taking frequent breaks to give my arms a rest, I'll need to follow Nate examples. 

Looking at Nate's photos, I think I could make my parallalogram mount work in its present modified form.  

I should be out in the high desert on Monday for as week or two so I'll get a chance to give it a try and modify it if needed.

Jon

#27 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:15 AM

Jon,

I use to hand hold mine from a sitting position.

Stan

Jon..be careful as you interpret this sentence.  Stan is a man who routinely scans skies with 30x80s hand held.  He, Sir,  is not one of us.

• Jon Isaacs and hallelujah like this

#28 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 07 November 2020 - 09:23 AM

Nate - thanks for the review.  

Although I have only looked through the 20x pentax once, the experience solidly concurs with yours,.

For me Binoculars serve two important roles.

Two eyed viewing, which is very comforting and relaxing to me; and for its particular magnification - very engaging.  The second issue for me is,when I am comfortable and relaxed - my body slumps as all my muscles relax..even holding my posture (let alone equipment) becomes a chore.  Thus while viewing, I prefer sitting over standing, and laying back over sitting.

I use a Denk Binoviewer on a variety of scopes for the right object, and will certainly put up with a 12 inch dob on appropriate targets. 

But viewing through mounted binoculars when laying back on a comfortable chair occupies a very special place in my viewing habits.

I always thought 20x to be much too close to 15x.  I most frequently use 15x70 BA8s on orion moster p mount/ zero G chair.  At one point I had the occasion of putting the pentax 20x60 on the same mount.  The overall presnetation was quite stunning - from the contrast to the quality of the view (allowing for exit pupil/mag differences).I really enjoyed my two hours on that combination.

I have come to think of binoculars as eyepieces - rather than trying to have one that does all, its better to have several that each does something different .  In this view of mine, mounted pentax 20x60  are truly special.

just my 2(0,000--cost of pentax 20x) cents

• hallelujah and Nate1701 like this

#29 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:33 AM

Jon..be careful as you interpret this sentence.

Stan is a man who routinely scans skies with 30x80s hand held. 

He, Sir,  is not one of us.

Kumar,

As old age crept in, I'm not the man I use to be. gramps.gif

SaberScorpX is my hero,

who gave me the idea of hand holding 30x80's from my Video Rocker chair.

(just for scanning purposes only)

https://www.cloudyni...80/#entry828548

Once upon a time I tried hand holding a Garrett Optical 25x100 WP, but it was too big & bulky.

Now a days I do very little with my high magnification binoculars.

I have officially graduated to the level of a lazy, retired Senior Citizen. shakecane.gif

My Fujinon 12x60 HB  roof has become my stargazing tool of choice.

Stan

• Jon Isaacs, eklf, WALL.E and 1 other like this

#30 litesong

litesong

Ranger 4

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:36 PM

Well....might as well chime in. Got my Pentax 20x60’s on Ebay for $40. Don’t fit my eyes well, so I don’t use them much. But I worked them hard once, observing a five or six foot American flag, two and a third miles away. Fine tuned the focus and occasionally could see the field of stars on the flag. Always remembered that, but I always remembered the difficulties, too. The 20x60’s have always been difficult to work with.

Edited by litesong, 16 November 2020 - 11:44 PM.

#31 litesong

litesong

Ranger 4

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:49 AM

Kumar,

Once upon a time I tried hand holding a Garrett Optical 25x100 WP, but it was too big & bulky.

Stan

Once upon a time I was in a New York musical store that only sold recorders. I was used to the small soprano and alto recorders and even saw the tiny sopranino recorders. The tenor and Bass recorders were wonderful to see. The store owner said, “See the Great Bass”. I looked around the corner but saw no Great Bass recorder. I looked around the store post, but still saw no Great Bass recorder. I told the owner, “I don’t see it”. He said, “Its in front of you”. Then I realized the Great Bass WAS the store “post’ which extended from the tabletop all the way to the ceiling.shocked.gif

Edited by litesong, 17 November 2020 - 12:51 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#32 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:14 AM

Well....might as well chime in. Got my Pentax 20x60’s on Ebay for $40. Don’t fit my eyes well, so I don’t use them much. But I worked them hard once, observing a five or six foot American flag, two and a third miles away. Fine tuned the focus and occasionally could see the field of stars on the flag. Always remembered that, but I always remembered the difficulties, too. The 20x60’s have always been difficult to work with.

Yes, eye placement is critical.

Graham

#33 litesong

litesong

Ranger 4

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

Yes, eye placement is critical.

Graham

Problems are more than “eye placement”. Pentax eyepieces are wide & don’t fit my eyes The black outs make astronomy viewing even more difficult.

#34 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:38 AM

Problems are more than “eye placement”. Pentax eyepieces are wide & don’t fit my eyes The black outs make astronomy viewing even more difficult.

What is your IPD?

Graham

#35 litesong

litesong

Ranger 4

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:58 AM

What is your IPD?

Graham

I’m narrow. But the Pentax’s still accommodate my eyes. The wide eyepieces are a bad design.

Edited by litesong, 17 November 2020 - 11:10 PM.

#36 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:04 AM

I’m narrow But the Pentax’s still accommodate my eyes But the wide eyepieces are a bad design.

It's a bit strange that binos with a 44 degree AFoV would have wide eyepieces..

Jon

#37 litesong

litesong

Ranger 4

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:33 AM

It's a bit strange that binos with a 44 degree AFoV would have wide eyepieces..

Jon

I  agree. But if you move your eyes close it feels you can get full advantage.......of only 44degree FOV.lol.gif lol.gif

Anyhow, talking in this thread, I’m going to use the Pentax 20x60’s more often.

Ooorrr..... maybe I’ll use my old Penncrest 7-15x35mm binoculars more. Or my old Sears 10x50mm binoculars. Or my two 20x50mm spotting scopes. Or my........etc.

Aren’t astronomy optics.....& other optics cool......

Edited by litesong, 17 November 2020 - 09:44 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics