•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My best Mars view ever.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sg80

sg80

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

I have a 80mm f11/4 refractor only scope I ever owned looked at Mars before and have not seen much.I have owned the scope since 1996 and have seen a polar cap.tonight at 130 mag with a 7 mm eyepiece. and 144 mag with a 6.3 mm eyepiece. I saw a cap and dark markings even though Mars was the size of a small orange aspirin.I enjoyed myself.the seeing was very good.

Edited by sg80, 08 November 2020 - 09:08 PM.

• payner, M Schnittker, E_Look and 3 others like this

#2 shortonjr

shortonjr

Explorer 1

• Loc: south carolina

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Mars is a sight to behold. I hope you see more of all that is up there!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

#3 E_Look

E_Look

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: near New York

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, Mars is pretty good this Mars season.  For me it'd be even better if the seeing was good.

I'm glad you got good seeing.  I recall many years back, on a night of exceptional seeing, I was able to get some high magnifications on it.

Look for the north polar cap; it's tiny!  It's like a little white dot.

EDIT: SOUTH polar cap!  (Oops.)

Edited by E_Look, 10 November 2020 - 06:32 PM.

#4 rowdy388

rowdy388

Skylab

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, Mars is pretty good this Mars season.  For me it'd be even better if the seeing was good.

I'm glad you got good seeing.  I recall many years back, on a night of exceptional seeing, I was able to get some high magnifications on it.

Look for the north polar cap; it's tiny!  It's like a little white dot.

Last night was one of those rare good seeing nights and Mars looked great for a change! That's the south

polar cap that's visible.....it just looks north in our reflectors. Tiny white dot is right but bright and easy to see.

#5 E_Look

E_Look

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: near New York

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:32 PM

Ah yes!  You got it right, my apologies.  I'll edit it now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics