•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flooring for observatory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:00 PM

As I'm getting close to finishing my roll off roof observatory, I'm wondering about flooring.  I'd like to put down some cushion flooring for the inevitable mishaps that occur with dropped eyepieces, etc.

Any issues with the foam tiles that are everywhere transmitting vibrations to the pier if I cut them to close up the hole around my pier?  I'd like to be able to close up that hole to help keep the critters out (squirrels, mice, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

#2 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 08 November 2020 - 11:10 PM

When I picked up my 12", (on a massive mount) the hole around the pier was two pieces of Teflon with a hole cut for the pier. The pieces are about 3' diameter, so I would think rubber padding would be ok.

• tjay likes this

#3 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:36 AM

I found a remnant carpet at a sale, double pile loop, easy to clean ..   cost me whole DOLLAR! 

That's cheap.. and the padding ( foam) was tossed in .. 

I Cut to fit, with a hole for the pier.  Tacked down at doorway.  

Stevegeo 

• tjay likes this

#4 John Carlini

John Carlini

Messenger

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:36 PM

I use rubber horse stall mats. They are thick, provide shock/sound dampening, insulate the cold floor and don't damage easily by rodents, etc.

• tim53, tjay, PeteM and 3 others like this

#5 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:00 AM

I use rubber horse stall mats. They are thick, provide shock/sound dampening, insulate the cold floor and don't damage easily by rodents, etc.

Link?  Or pics of your floor?

-Tim.

#6 techmgr

techmgr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:24 PM

In my first ROR I used this rubber flooring from Home Depot.  It was plenty durable, and the holes allowed air circulation to allow any dew to evaporate instead of being trapped under it.  It was a bit of a pain to keep clean (shop vac worked okay, though).  The panels interlock on two of the sides, so it stays pretty much in place when you put it down.  It's also pretty heavy.  I had it down for about 10 years and it pretty much looked new when I sold the house (and ROR).

https://www.homedepo...1-12/301560336?

• jcj380 likes this

#7 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

I put two coats of paint on my wood flooring as the observatory is off the ground. It’s was also to protect the flooring while the build was underway in case it rain.

Home Depot, I got ocean blue indoor/outdoor carpet. It is really cheap cost wise ($2 foot) but really nice and thick close loop pile. I just stapled it down every two to three feet. It’s work really well and still looks new a year later. Dew will happen even in the Texas Hill country and having an ‘outdoor’ carpet is a requirement. It is thick enough that a few drop items does not get damage, yeah, not that I drop stuff, yeah. Bad back so it is soft to stand on. Cleans up quick with a vacuum. Nice to lay down too and look up at the stars. Shoes off (myself and visitors) if the shoes are dirty as I keep my floor clean. Although I did just make a 250 foot raised (2” base and 2” of small granite on top) six foot wide pathway to the observatory, just to keep access when or if it ever rains again. 

I figure in 8-10 years I can pull it up and put the same stuff down and it will look new again. 

Jess

#8 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Viking 1

• Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

Cheap indoor/outdoor carpet.  Works great.  Beats walking on plywood.  I have a little shopvac in the observatory for sporadic cleanups.  Works fine.

#9 ssa2294

ssa2294

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:16 AM

Just throwing this out there, but Ikea has outdoor floor tiles with artificial turf or wood. The wood tiles do not last, but the turf ones are actually really nice. Easy to cut. Not the cheapest route, but would give your ROR the mood of being outdoors. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics