•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neck strap screws for Bell & Howell 8x40 binoculars

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:06 AM

crop 7770.jpg I have two pairs of B&H 8x40 binoculars that have no attachments for a neck strap.  Apparently, the attachment is a swivel ring with a threaded stud that is fastened into the metal wall of the binoculars.  I've looked in many stores and the closest I could find are "eyebolts with nuts", but they are too big for the binocs and I can't find smaller ones. I attached a photo of where the attachment for the neck strap would go and the hole is threaded.  I went to a good hardware store and they did not have the correct screws, and nothing that size with eyelets.  I then bought smaller stainless steel screws and nuts and fabricated a temporary solution that is unacceptable because I had no eyelet or hole for the strap, and the nut would not stay tight.  Does anyone have a source for something that will be sturdy and work for attaching a neckstrap?   The hole is slightly under 2 mm in diameter so perhaps a nominal  2-mm diameter screw of the correct thread would work.  Alternatively, a 1.5-mm screw with nut and lock washer (and nylon flat washers to prevent galling) that has an eyelet might be better than 2 mm. Thanks, DrJ1

#2 litesong

litesong

Ranger 4

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

DrJ1......Me, too! My Kanto 7x35mm binoculars(down-sized from the B&H) DO have intact strap & attachments. But, my B&H 8x40mm binoculars don’t.

Edited by litesong, 10 November 2020 - 11:45 AM.

#3 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:43 AM

A possible solution may entail ball-post swivel D-rings.  Try a search for 'ball post swivel d-rings'.  The trick for such screw-nut d-rings would be accessing the "backside" (interior) at the screw holes.

I have a pair of B&H 8x40s, and I can review the strap stud swivel d-rings (actually "triangle" rings) and see about getting good measurements for you.  Perhaps a few pics, as well.  I'll try and check them out today.

I have dismantled a pair, but that was decades ago, and I'm not certain how the d-ring screws attached (whether simple screw or screw-plus-nut).

Hang in there.

Best wishes.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 10 November 2020 - 11:58 AM.

#4 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:37 AM

I took mine and measured about M3-0.5 x 4.5mm . Maybe you can find 'ball post swivel d-ring with that size screw.

#5 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:29 PM

I took mine and measured about M3-0.5 x 4.5mm . Maybe you can find 'ball post swivel d-ring with that size screw.

Thanks Harbinger.  I used your words and found some options on ebay.  However,  I remeasured the hole im my binocular body with a digital caliper and got 2.4 mm.  It is difficult to measure, but my earlier   measurement with a machinist ruler of just under 2mm appears to be wrong.  I think I'll try M2, M2.5 and M3 screws in the hardware store before I buy the ball post swivel D ring. Here is one option on ebay with M3. Thanks again.

https://www.ebay.com...CLK|clp:2334524

#6 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

A possible solution may entail ball-post swivel D-rings.  Try a search for 'ball post swivel d-rings'.  The trick for such screw-nut d-rings would be accessing the "backside" (interior) at the screw holes.

I have a pair of B&H 8x40s, and I can review the strap stud swivel d-rings (actually "triangle" rings) and see about getting good measurements for you.  Perhaps a few pics, as well.  I'll try and check them out today.

I have dismantled a pair, but that was decades ago, and I'm not certain how the d-ring screws attached (whether simple screw or screw-plus-nut).

Hang in there.

Best wishes.

Dan

Thanks Dan.  From my response to Harbinger you can see that I'm making progress. Joe

DrJ1......Me, too! My Kanto 7x35mm binoculars(down-sized from the B&H) DO have intact strap & attachments. But, my B&H 8x40mm binoculars don’t.

Harbinger and MisterDan are helping us both!

#7 litesong

litesong

Ranger 4

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:15 PM

I have a 2nd pair of out-of-collimation B&H 8x40mm with intact strap & attachment swivels. Always wanted to transfer them to my better B&H. But, I thot I could easily screw them up, so I wouldn’t have any working swivels. I’m glad I waited.

My good B&H’s have some damage to the swivel hole(maybe even stripped). So I’m still not sure my intact strap & swivels will transfer and work properly.

Anyhow I have the finest Chrome-end looking eyepiece and objective lens caps I’ve ever seen(w/B&H embossments, transferred from the out-of-collimation pair).

Edited by litesong, 12 November 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#8 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:28 PM

Earlier today, I checked my 8x40s and began backing out one of the swivel screws and then ran into some resistance (as if encountering some thread lock material, or perhaps a lock nut), so I stopped.  I then tried the other swivel screw and got the same resistance (and stopped).

I do not recall such resistance when I dismantled my first pair, 40-plus years ago.  However, it's entirely possible that said resistance was there, that first time, and I simply don't recall it, now.  I would dismantle those same 8x40s another two times (for cleaning) in later years, so my recall is likely based on those later sessions (with no swivel screw resistance), and not the first.

Regardless, here is an image of an original B&H swiveling strap anchor screw:

https://ebth-com-pro...0&fit=max&crop=

Note that the knurled collar is what threads into the anchor hole.  The swiveling/rotating anchor post is captive and swivels within the "collar screw."  It's worth clarifying/reiterating:  the anchor hole in the binocular body is threaded, so keep that in mind if you're forging ahead with a ball-post swivel d-ring solution.

I do not recall any sort of lock nut or stop nut on the other end of the knurled "collar screw" (i.e. inside the binocular body).  This is likely the very reason why many of the B&H (aka Century Mark IV) 8x40 straps and swivel anchors wind up missing in action.  There may be, however,  some sort of thread "stop" material (solder? internal-tooth lock washer?) which is not too difficult to "break through" whilst unscrewing the anchor firmly/strongly.

I've not yet found any similar swivel/rotatable post strap d-ring anchors out there in "Searchland," but I'm still trying.  If I hit the jackpot, I'll let everyone know.

Best wishes, all.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 12 November 2020 - 07:31 PM.

#9 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:41 PM

Ya know - it's possible that some camera strap "lugs" or anchors (although most do not rotate/swivel) may utilize the same thread size...  Hmmm...

Probably not.

Edited by MisterDan, 12 November 2020 - 08:16 PM.

#10 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:55 PM

Earlier today, I checked my 8x40s and began backing out one of the swivel screws and then ran into some resistance (as if encountering some thread lock material, or perhaps a lock nut), so I stopped.  I then tried the other swivel screw and got the same resistance (and stopped).

I do not recall such resistance when I dismantled my first pair, 40-plus years ago.  However, it's entirely possible that said resistance was there, that first time, and I simply don't recall it, now.  I would dismantle those same 8x40s another two times (for cleaning) in later years, so my recall is likely based on those later sessions (with no swivel screw resistance), and not the first.

Regardless, here is an image of an original B&H swiveling strap anchor screw:

https://ebth-com-pro...0&fit=max&crop=

Note that the knurled collar is what threads into the anchor hole.  The swiveling/rotating anchor post is captive and swivels within the "collar screw."  It's worth clarifying/reiterating:  the anchor hole in the binocular body is threaded, so keep that in mind if you're forging ahead with a ball-post swivel d-ring solution.

I do not recall any sort of lock nut or stop nut on the other end of the knurled "collar screw" (i.e. inside the binocular body).  This is likely the very reason why many of the B&H (aka Century Mark IV) 8x40 straps and swivel anchors wind up missing in action.  There may be, however,  some sort of thread "stop" material (solder? internal-tooth lock washer?) which is not too difficult to "break through" whilst unscrewing the anchor firmly/strongly.

I've not yet found any similar swivel/rotatable post strap d-ring anchors out there in "Searchland," but I'm still trying.  If I hit the jackpot, I'll let everyone know.

Best wishes, all.

Dan

Dan:  Thanks for the thoughtful comments.  I hope to get to a good hardware store tomorrow and see exactly which thread the hole takes.  I may consider a temporary solution of putting a screw in the hole and using high strength nylon cord tied to the screw as a neck strap.  (I think my reflexes are still fast enough to catch the binocs before they hit the ground if the cord comes off!)  DrJ1

#11 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:01 AM

Hi

I think there are at least two different types of lug straps for B&H 8x40

IMG-7545-194.jpg

Regards

Ant1

#12 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

Thanks Ant1.  I suspected such production variations. DrJ1

#13 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 03:58 PM

I went to a great hardware store and the hole does indeed take an M3 screw.  I just implemented my temporary solution using a phillips head M3 screw with two oversized washers. I didn't need a nut on the inside of the binocular wall.  I bought high strength thin nylon cord and fabricated a loop that I compressed between the two washers on each side.  I then connected the loop to an old, sturdy boot lace.  I fully deserve "Rube Goldberg" jokes but it functions well for now.  I'll now look into buying M3 ball post swivel D rings.  I attach several photos for others who seek inexpensive or temporaty solutions for missing swivels. Thanks to all.  You are a great community.  Sincerely, DrJ1

Attached Thumbnails

• 4G8B9132.JPG
  • 4G8B9135.JPG

#14 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:01 PM

Here is one more photo that was too big to add to the last post. DrJ1

Attached Thumbnails

• mega crop 9127.jpg

#15 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:27 PM

waytogo.gif Nice work, DrJ1.

Now we know, for sure - M3 screw thread... at least for the knurled/eyelet-style lugs, anyway.

There's always these guys, too...

http://ecx.images-am...owL._SY300_.jpg

-but they'd likely scratch away the black paint finish around the screws.  Of course, that may not be a concern, if they're "knockabout" binoculars.

Cheers and thanks.

Dan

#16 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

Dan:  "There's always these guys, too..."   I'd gladly buy several of them to store away for future projects.  Where did you buy them?  Thanks, Joe

#17 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:48 PM

Actually, I have not bought any of them, separately.  They're often installed on picture and mirror frames (check yours at home!), and they are often included in "picture hanger" hardware variety packs.

Some are larger (~20mm long), but others are closer to the original B&H hardware.  Some of them even have a nylon/poly "sleeve" which might help prevent abrasion and scratching.

https://www.amazon.c...TQKY6DH6Q17EBZC

https://www.homedepo...50377/202341252

Most come with wood screws, so separate M3s will be needed.

Any hardware store should stock them.  Ask (or search online) for "d-ring picture hangers" or "triangle ring picture hangers."

Best wishes.

Dan

#18 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:11 PM

Thanks MisterDan. I found some picture frame holders that look like the right size.  It made sense to buy 50 so I suspect I'll have a lifetime supply! The delivery may take a month.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics