•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar 1 Complete!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Orion92

Orion92

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Florida

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:32 PM

Hi all,

Last week I wrapped up the Astronomical League’s Lunar 1 program. Today when I got home from work my girlfriend told me I had gotten something really cool in the mail. Lo and behold, my certificate and pin for Lunar 1! This is my first AL program I have completed and I really enjoyed it. The program has given me a new interest in the Moon and lunar observation as a whole while also acquainting me with many lunar features. I will be working on the Lunar 2 program next. Lunar 1 took me approximately 30 observing hours over the past year and a half. The binocular targets I found were the most difficult, due to the small image scale using my 8x40’s. Lunar 2 will require me to sketch... uh oh, LOL. 

Clear and steady skies for all!

Kyle

Attached Thumbnails

• 29C30295-6B89-4654-BDBF-E86B6E619708.jpeg

• Dave Mitsky, frank5817, elwaine and 11 others like this

#2 Diomedes

Diomedes

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:34 PM

Congratulations !!! grin.gif  

#3 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:39 PM

That's really nice.

#4 jrkirkham

jrkirkham

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:29 AM

Congratulations! I find the AL programs to be a big boost to my observing. I remember doing the Lunar I program. It was one of the first that I did. It added much to my appreciation of the moon that has never gone away. I've not attempted the Lunar II program yet. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it. I am currently working on the Solar System program.

Just out of curiosity, where there any particular observations that stood out as favorites?

• flt158 likes this

#5 Orion92

Orion92

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Florida

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:00 AM

Congratulations! I find the AL programs to be a big boost to my observing. I remember doing the Lunar I program. It was one of the first that I did. It added much to my appreciation of the moon that has never gone away. I've not attempted the Lunar II program yet. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it. I am currently working on the Solar System program.

Just out of curiosity, where there any particular observations that stood out as favorites?

Some of my favorites were the lunar mountains, Montes Alpes (with Vallis Alpes) and Appeninus. During high Sun angle, it can be difficult to tell that there are really mountain ranges on the Moon, but at sunrise, these features are just incredible. Individual craters that I also enjoyed to name some were Eratosthenes, Clavius and craterlets, Copernicus (incredible at sunrise for shadows and full Moon for ray system), and Petavius to name a handful. Rupes Recta (the Straight Wall) and Dorsa Lister and Dorsa Smirnov were also non-crater favorites. I made a post a month or so ago about Lister and Smirnov. 

Another thing that I did during this program that was very worthwhile was investigate the Latin meaning of many of the geological features of the Moon. For this, my Rukl Atlas of the Moon was indispensable. 

Looking forward to revisiting some of the Lunar 1 targets in Lunar 2 but with more detailed observations in the future.

• jrkirkham and flt158 like this

#6 jrkirkham

jrkirkham

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

Good luck on Lunar II. It looks like you have learned to take your time and enjoy every moment of the process.

#7 jlcop

jlcop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:58 AM

Well done. I finished Lunar 1 as my first A.L. observing program last July as well. I am trying to finish the Constellation Hunter program now and the Beyond Polaris when the pandemic subsides ( Some of the tasks require an audience). Good Luck!

John

#8 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• Loc: NE Indiana

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:29 AM

Kyle, 

Congratulations!

I completed the Solar Observing program earlier this year and I'm about 2/3s though the Lunar I program now. I've had an interest in the moon and the program has added and grown my interest. I will take a look a Lunar II. Given the find work I've seen in this and the Sketching forum, the thought of sketching features and craters is intimidating.

The book on sketching from the Solar program is Astronomical Sketching by Handy, Moody, etal., Springer Science, has a good section on sketching the moon. You should take a look at it.

Again, congratulations and good luck with Lunar II.

Joe

#9 Shane1200

Shane1200

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:11 AM

Congrats on finishing the Lunar I program.  I enjoyed  it so much that I started doing the Lunar II program. I've been working on it the last two years. I need a couple of more craters to sketch so I can finish, but of course it always clouds up or rains when they are in the best viewing position in the Lunar cycle.  The Lunar II objects are best viewed on certain days of lunar cycle so that you can the bottom of the craters in more detail. 

I found a  free logbook online where the developer breaks down which day is the best day of the cycle to get the most detail of each object. He has been right on most of the objects, so for. If you have the right software you can make logbook pdf into a writeable pdf so it's easier to type your notes.   He also has pdf logbooks for  a number of the other observing programs that can be printed.

https://10minuteastr..._ii_logbook.pdf

#10 Shane1200

Shane1200

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:19 AM

I almost forgot. Here is a link to a article on sketching the moon.  It contains enough information to help you get started. 

https://www.rasc.ca/...-tutorials-moon

I have the "Sketching the Moon: An Astronomical Artist's Guide (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)"  book but I purchased it when was on sale on the  Sky and Telescope store and cheaper than the current Amazon price.

#11 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:36 PM

Congratulations, Orion92!

I completed the Lunar Observing Program just a "few" years ago.

https://www.astrolea...eur Astronomers

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics