•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss Asiola Objective Glue Concern

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:58 PM

So I just received a very nice Asiola with a Zeiss Jena 10mm Ortho, the leather case, and the alt-az connection to the mount.  If anyone has the mount part, or know what I can use, please let me know.

It’s in really nice shape.  No dents or dings.  The objective looks nice, and when I put the 10mm in it and focused on a porch light tonight, the image looked very sharp.  No issues I could see.  The objective is also a #1 quality.

My concern is the glue in the objective.  I’m pretty sure they use the same glue as Telementors and Telematers (sp.?).  Is there a concern about that?  Did ZEISS use Canadium Balsam?

Also what can be done with the exterior covering?  It’s in decent shape, but I would like to return it to it’s original condition.  Is it leather?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Edited by SandyHouTex, 10 November 2020 - 10:02 PM.

#2 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:48 AM

Asiola kit:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/193730366776

Asiola, tripod only:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/114507257415

I think asiola is older than telementor/telemator when they started using the cemented cells.

It is leather, yes.

#3 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:59 AM

Asiola kit:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/193730366776

Asiola, tripod only:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/114507257415

I think asiola is older than telementor/telemator when they started using the cemented cells.

It is leather, yes.

Thanks.

#4 RichA

RichA

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 November 2020 - 09:21 PM

So I just received a very nice Asiola with a Zeiss Jena 10mm Ortho, the leather case, and the alt-az connection to the mount.  If anyone has the mount part, or know what I can use, please let me know.

It’s in really nice shape.  No dents or dings.  The objective looks nice, and when I put the 10mm in it and focused on a porch light tonight, the image looked very sharp.  No issues I could see.  The objective is also a #1 quality.

My concern is the glue in the objective.  I’m pretty sure they use the same glue as Telementors and Telematers (sp.?).  Is there a concern about that?  Did ZEISS use Canadium Balsam?

Also what can be done with the exterior covering?  It’s in decent shape, but I would like to return it to it’s original condition.  Is it leather?

Thanks,

Zeiss microscope objectives from back when are rife with problems like delamination. 

#5 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:40 PM

Zeiss microscope objectives from back when are rife with problems like delamination. 

Are Telementors also rife with the problem?  I have not heard of any Telementor issues.

#6 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:55 AM

I have a (type 1 ?) Telementor that was diagnosed here on CN years ago as having separation anxiety as the marks seem to be between the elements. The tube at the objective end is slightly out of round suggesting quite a smack occurred in the past. If you have a Telementor you know how thick the tube is! I suspect a hard knock may have affected the balsam. Looking through this instrument there is no suggestion of a problem though. Because of the out of roundness, removing the lens to re-cement or even clean it is impossible for me to do as the lens cell must be removed through the damaged tube with very little clearance frown.gif   

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010262 (1).jpg

#7 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 01:46 AM

If you have a Telementor you know how thick the tube is!

I think it's interesting that they use same standards in many applications. I saw an ad of  CZJ telescope which they use for flak cannons.. and it uses a CZJ orth x17 eyepiece. As I know it's a microscope eyepiece. It is definitely a tank.

Have you tried removing it? It should slides out https://www.cloudyni...move-lens-cell/

But at least with telementors, the lens cells are readily available now and then, there's one in amart right now. So it's possible to get a new cell. But I've never seen asiola's spares, it's much more uncommon.

#8 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:37 AM

I'm pretty sure there isn't enough clearance to slide the cell out. It is quite well deformed!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010266.jpg

#9 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:53 AM

I'm pretty sure there isn't enough clearance to slide the cell out. It is quite well deformed!

I wonder if the cell actually floats or there's a narrowed part or ledge that the lens sits on inside? If the tube is empty maybe you can push it to the other side from the front?

#10 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:21 AM

I’ve had two Telementor’s, a very early T1, and also a T2. Both of course, like all the others had C-type objectives, meaning they were cemented. I would assume Canadian Balsam was the cementing agent. They also had deep blue MgFcoatings. Neither had any issues whatsoever with either the cementing or the coatings.

#11 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:11 AM

I’ve had two Telementor’s, a very early T1, and also a T2. Both of course, like all the others had C-type objectives, meaning they were cemented. I would assume Canadian Balsam was the cementing agent. They also had deep blue MgFcoatings. Neither had any issues whatsoever with either the cementing or the coatings.

Thanks Terra.  That’s reassuring.

• Terra Nova likes this

#12 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 12 November 2020 - 11:10 AM

Having had about 6 telementors and still having a few I have never seen an issue with the objective glue seperating.   

• SandyHouTex likes this

#13 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:22 PM

you  might be able to round out the tube with a pipe expander

https://shop.advance...m=pipe expander

• bremms likes this

#14 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:25 PM

Thanks,

I would buy the tripod on Ebay.  The chances of finding another one is slim.   I have a few of these scopes and feel blessed I have all the parts.  

#15 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:50 PM

I would buy the tripod on Ebay.  The chances of finding another one is slim.   I have a few of these scopes and feel blessed I have all the parts.  

There’s one in Germany, but he won’t ship to the US.  

Does the Telementor use the same tripod?

#16 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:54 AM

There’s one in Germany, but he won’t ship to the US.  

Does the Telementor use the same tripod?

Telementor, Asiola and CZJ theodolites share the same tripod. If you look for the CZJ surveyor tripods, they are usually priced lower (despite being the same).

Regards

Carlos

• SandyHouTex and Terra Nova like this

#17 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:54 AM

Telementor, Asiola and CZJ theodolites share the same tripod. If you look for the CZJ surveyor tripods, they are usually priced lower (despite being the same).

Regards

Carlos

The tripod might look the same it is actually what goes on top of the tripod that makes the difference.  Without that part for the mount to slide on top of the tripod is useless.  There are also other differences that make it rather hard to interchange parts from different years.  Been there done that.

• SandyHouTex and Bowlerhat like this

#18 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

The tripod might look the same it is actually what goes on top of the tripod that makes the difference.  Without that part for the mount to slide on top of the tripod is useless.  There are also other differences that make it rather hard to interchange parts from different years.  Been there done that.

You are right.

The spigot is not an element of the theodlite tripod. 

#19 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:39 AM

Asiola tripod not interchangeable with Telementor/Telemator. It is more lightweight and doesn`t come with spreaders.

Zeiss Asiola Aussichtsfernrohr 63mm auf 420mm_01red.jpg

• Corcaroli78, SandyHouTex, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#20 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:20 AM

you  might be able to round out the tube with a pipe expander

https://shop.advance...m=pipe expander

That looks like a nice one. My previous experience was with using a Harbor Freight expander on a much thinner walled telescope which removed the dent just as it pleated the outside of the tube. Might be worth a try. I've been adhering to "do no harm" on the Zeiss.

• Piggyback likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics