•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Handheld 'microscope' for kids?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zleonis

zleonis

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

We'd like to get our 5-year old daughter a handheld microscope for looking at leaves, minerals, different surfaces, etc. I was thinking something along the lines of this product on Amazon (I had something similar growing up that I liked), since the stakes would be low if it meets an untimely end at her hands. That said, if there's a similar product in the <$50 range that would be a step up in durability or optical quality, I'd be open to suggestions. Thanks!

• cmooney91 likes this

#2 cmooney91

cmooney91

Messenger

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:16 AM

I have 4 different Carson pocket scope models. That blue 20X-60X is my favorite. 

The models with higher magnification are less practical for hand held use.

Optically the 20-60 is  decent, no noticeable CA,  sharp flat field to the outer 10% FOV. 

Ergonomically its downside is a short 7-10mm eye relief, a narrow 35-50 AFOV, and inverted view .For a 5 year old you will need to coach them on focusing and magnification adjustment. 

I think it is definitely a great value for little money A curious kid would have a ball with it, and completely overlook the eye relief and AFOV.  A 7x or 10X Carson loupe would also be a good addition for wider view to augment the pocket scope. 

As a curious adult I also have a ball with it. Its tiny size and weight allow me to bring it on hikes. It's neat to explore things in situ, like the  bark of a tree bustling with mites, various fungi on a rotting log, lichens and moss with resident invertebrates,  or neat mineral exposures in exposed bedrock.

Edited by cmooney91, 12 November 2020 - 10:29 AM.

• zleonis likes this

#3 zleonis

zleonis

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the helpful notes on the product. It sounds like this Carson model will be a great way for my daughter to get a closer look at things she comes across in the woods, etc. for a modest investment. Her dad will probably check it out too :)

#4 Rapidray

Rapidray

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia - Florida

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:27 PM

I bought 3 of them, 2 for the grandkids and one for me lol.gif

• zleonis likes this

#5 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:35 AM

I have one and its amazing how good it is.  You can carry it with you on walks and hikes.

• zleonis likes this

#6 camvan

camvan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: British Columbia

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

it may be more than you want to spend, but look at the Pentax Papilio binoculars. they literally are a walking microscope my dad loves his and uses them all the time when he goes on hit walks.

• zleonis likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics