•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI2600 MC issues

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 WB91

WB91

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:25 PM

Guys,

I wanted to share this with you in case you have experienced the same thing with this or other ZWO CMOS cameras.  When imaging the other night, I noticed marks at the top of the image, so I removed the camera and see what looks to be a separation happening at the sensor glass.  It almost looks like a liquid is seeping through the sensor but it has not gotten wet.  The following day I ran the camera again and it seems to be getting worse. My guess is some sort of delamination maybe??  The camera is still under warranty but will take weeks to get that sorted out. ZWO is not responding to me or the vendor I purchased it from. Anyhow, have any of you seen this before and can this be fixed?  Could this be caused by using the dew heater?

Regards,

Bill

P.S.   this is actually my second warranty replacement with this camera, the first time it failed was due to cooling system not working, so I had it replaced and now back in the same boat trying to get another replacement.  Hopefully this is not a flawed product line from ZWO, not that impressed with quality so far. 

Attached Thumbnails

• image3.png

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Skylab

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:49 PM

I am sorry to read your post & the difficulties you have faced with all the issues.

I use the ASI6200 mono camera and it has been superb- I guess your having a run of really bad luck.

I would continue to put pressure on the dealer. It is their responsibility to get things moving and in the circumstances I would very strongly suggest that the dealer and ZWO pick up the freight return charges- it is not on to have 2 major faults and you picking up the return shipping costs.

Good luck with your attempts to get this sorted and I do have a lot of empathy with you. A couple of years back I sent £7000.00 worth of camera back to the OEM as it was not fit for purpose- it causes so much pain & anguish to go through these processes.

Edited by pyrasanth, 11 November 2020 - 01:51 PM.

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:20 PM

Protect your warranty rights and save your emails. I realize ZWO is in China, but I might send them a Fedex/UPS/DHL letter pak so you have a signature acknowledging receipt of your complaint.

ZWO is a reputable company and word of mouth complaints go far in impacting sales - so start yelling.

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Skylab

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

Protect your warranty rights and save your emails. I realize ZWO is in China, but I might send them a Fedex/UPS/DHL letter pak so you have a signature acknowledging receipt of your complaint.

ZWO is a reputable company and word of mouth complaints go far in impacting sales - so start yelling.

I would still pursue the dealer initially as they have the responsibility to the consumer and have entered into a commitment with ZWO. Let them do all the work- they make a small profit so its good to let them earn the trust of both consumer and manufacturer.

Edited by pyrasanth, 11 November 2020 - 02:50 PM.

• Miguelo likes this

#5 MJB87

MJB87

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:05 PM

Who is the dealer?  I'm going to be placing an order for this camera shortly, once supplies are again available.

Feel free to respond via PM if you don't want to make the information public in this forum.

#6 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:32 AM

Bill

I had this issue with my ASI2600MC last week.  I spoke to ZWO directly.  This is silicon grease from underneath the sensor moving onto the glass.  The grease sits between the peltier coooler and the sensor.  I had similar issues to this when I built a Cookbook camera in the 1990s.  I was worried it was something to do with the sensor cover, a film on it peeling off or the sensor itself. 

The above is much easier to deal with as it can be cleaned easily with pure alcohol by following instructions here:  https://astronomy-im...e_desiccant.pdf

Your dealer could help clean the camera but mine was in China so I decided to do it myself!  It took a few passes of a cotton bud soaked in alcohol to clean and plenty of care not to bring in new dust onto the sensor before closing the enclosure.  I have been able to test the camera since and the issue has disappeared.   I actually only noticed it as a darker shadow in the images being downloaded from the camera once I completed a mosaic project I was working on (fortunately).  My camera is permanently mounted and I don't tend to look at the sensor often.  It could have been calibrated out with flats since the grease is quite sticky and does not "flow" but I preferred to deal with it before the longer nights of winter.

I was surprised by this leak happening some 6-9 months after the purchase of my camera.  Temperatures have actually been going down here and I would have expected for this to manifest in the warmer months.

See the picture I sent to ZWO here:  https://zwo-common-e...1344434831.jpeg

HTH

Roberto

PS - I have had 8 ZWO cameras since their first ones came out for planetary.  They are "budget" cameras.  I am actually very impressed by how much they have progressed over the years.  I do agree this is disappointing but their response to my enquiry was immediate.

Edited by R Botero, 12 November 2020 - 04:39 AM.

#7 WB91

WB91

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the response guys!   The dealer I purchased from was Agena Astro Products and my experience with them has been really good so far.   I sent them the camera and they are sending it to ZWO, but unfortunately they said it could take 6 weeks to get it back, which sucks with all the cool targets coming up right now.  They haven't shipped it to china yet, so I could ask them to send it back and I could clean it per the instructions Roberto advised, but would hate to void the warranty if I do it myself.  Will contact them now and see what my options are now that we know what the problem is.     Thanks again!

#8 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the information. I’m glad I was forwarded this thread. I had my ASI2600 stored inside, on its side, in a container with desiccant packaging. I just took it out to swap cameras and noticed an oily substance running down the sensor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 73A5E80F-193A-4B78-9977-8A9078149764.jpeg

#9 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Skylab

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

I'm quite horrified that this can happen to multiple people. ZWO really do need to look at their QA processes- this is a real no no & should never happen with a device of that value.

#10 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:21 PM

Well, this really sucks.

Appears someone on the assembly line is quite heavy handed with the grease.

Big trouble for ZWO.

#11 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Ranger 4

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:42 PM

That was a simple 5 minute cleanup. It was definitely an oil. When I wiped it up, it smeared across the sensor. I used PEC PAD non-abrasive wipes and Eclipse Optic Cleaning Fluid. It cleaned up nicely and looks like new again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8D1B5FFB-DD08-40B3-947C-F3A24BEF0905.jpeg
  • 625887C6-C5D7-44CC-9EF4-FE3BF036B614.jpeg
  • 610E1CEA-78C1-45BC-A936-48133BAC5D6B.jpeg

• R Botero, Woodbridge_Dave, jdupton and 2 others like this

#12 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the response guys!   The dealer I purchased from was Agena Astro Products and my experience with them has been really good so far.   I sent them the camera and they are sending it to ZWO, but unfortunately they said it could take 6 weeks to get it back, which sucks with all the cool targets coming up right now.  They haven't shipped it to china yet, so I could ask them to send it back and I could clean it per the instructions Roberto advised, but would hate to void the warranty if I do it myself.  Will contact them now and see what my options are now that we know what the problem is.     Thanks again!

I doubt you would void your warranty.  ZWO told me to clean it myself instead of sending it.  I would be more worried about a dealer that cannot even clean a camera in store...

My camera has been clean for over two weeks now and I'm back to imaging with it, no problems so far.

Roberto

Edited by R Botero, 20 November 2020 - 04:01 AM.

• Woodbridge_Dave likes this

#13 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Ranger 4

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:51 PM

I verified with flats the cleaning was a success. No dust or smudges. Just like new.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9D2DA35C-532F-4206-8AC5-90B140B10671.jpeg

• R Botero, Woodbridge_Dave and StevenBellavia like this

#14 WB91

WB91

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2020 - 04:08 PM

Guys,

I wanted to give you all an update on my Camera.   After reporting the issue to Agena, Agena contacted ZWO and asked them if they could clean the sensor for me at Agena and if ZWO would maintain the product warranty if they did.   ZWO advised they would continue to cover the warranty, so I shipped it back to Agena and within a day they cleaned it and had it on its way be to me.  Very good support here!   So it does appear, depending on who you buy it from, it can be cleaned at home, by Agena or sent back to ZWO (6 week lead time) to have it fixed.   

Bill

• R Botero, Raginar and bobzeq25 like this

#15 WB91

WB91

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:33 PM

Update, apparently this will be a reoccurring issue with these ASI2600 cameras, it happened again, ugh.   This time I will clean myself and figure out where this oil is coming from to prevent it from happening again.

Bill 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2600 pic.jpg

• R Botero and StevenBellavia like this

#16 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:08 PM

Yikes - just ordered this camera last night from Agena. It arrives Tuesday. Now I'm nervous.

#17 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado City Colorado

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:19 PM

I have yet seen this on my Camera.

• Poynting likes this

#18 Roger123456

Roger123456

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Good to know this can happen and to keep an eye out for it by taking a look at stretched debayered flats.  At least it is simple enough to fix using standard sensor cleaning wipes.

#19 Jvtucke

Jvtucke

Explorer 1

• Loc: The Woodlands, TX

Posted 01 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

I have a now discontinued 1600MC Cooled and in  the 3 years since purchasing this camera had now had to clean my sensor four times; forget about trying to get ZWO clean up a problem from manufacturing.  I will NEVER buy another ZWO camera.  Paid $1100 for the camera new and disgusted with such sloppy manufacturing processes.

#20 Vigo79

Vigo79

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Winkerling, GER

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:12 AM

Is that an actual problem or is it solved by ZWO? Does anyone know that?

#21 Lucca V

Lucca V

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:49 AM

I feel nervous about this problem...

#22 lasvideo

lasvideo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:33 PM

Me, too. Mine arrives Tuesday.  shocked.gif

#23 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:03 PM

Mine's been good since purchased mid last year.  YMMV...

• R Botero likes this

#24 nathanwhitsett

nathanwhitsett

Lift Off

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:50 PM

03/10/21
Q: I have seen that there have been some issues with oil leaking onto the sensor with the ZWO ASI 2600mc pro. Has that issue been resolved?

A: Response from ZWO: "We already improved our production. We will clean the oil on the thermal pad before use it so it won't happen again."

• R Botero likes this

#25 Oscar Szentirmai

Oscar Szentirmai

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: London - UK

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:41 AM

A while back when I was considering buying this camera, I started a thread to get some feedback and consensus on the issues with oil, but received very little response:

https://www.cloudyni...-needed-please/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics