•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Blues for a Red Telescope

classic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fernandina Beach, Florida

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:27 PM

Sigh. 

I've been after an Edmund's 3" f/6 for years.

I fell in love with this little Newt during my days as a science educator. We had a couple of them on site, and I used them for lifestreaming lunar events, such as eclipses. They were unmounted, so I'd use a pier mount to allow them to track. 

Anyway, whenever they pop-up on the various sites, they tend to be a bit pricey. One finally popped up on eBay, so I decided to place a bid, even though I believed I was really overpaying for just the OTA.

And wouldn't you know it, I won!

Well, sort of. 

The seller contacted me today, after a week of waiting for the telescope to arrive, to inform me that the telescope had been dropped and the focuser damaged. They promptly refunded me before asking if I was still interested. 

Have these little telescopes really become so rare? It's not as if I need one, heavens no. But I love those wee little instruments. 

/ sigh.

#2 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 November 2020 - 03:52 PM

Which ones for sure?  3" refractor?  They made a small red reflector but still 4" or a hair over.  

#3 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gaston, Oregon, United States

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

I can't help with your telescope question, but the "Blues for a Red Planet" reference made my day a little better.

• The_Vagabond likes this

#4 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

Which ones for sure?  3" refractor?  They made a small red reflector but still 4" or a hair over.  

They made a little 3" f/6 Newt. Was originally a kit, then they packaged it up as a small RFT with an interesting yoke mount. The ones we had where I worked were unmounted, though. 

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#5 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

I can't help with your telescope question, but the "Blues for a Red Planet" reference made my day a little better.

I live to serve. And confound. Mostly confound. 

• Bomber Bob and Arcamigo like this

#6 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:04 AM

I live to serve. And confound. Mostly confound. 

LOL! Don't we all!

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:39 AM

They made a little 3" f/6 Newt. Was originally a kit, then they packaged it up as a small RFT with an interesting yoke mount. The ones we had where I worked were unmounted, though. 

I used to have one! I used to love to use it handheld with an Edmund 28mm RKE eyepiece. As a very portable little RFT it was great fun. The only reason I sold it was that it just wasn’t getting much use after I build my homebrew 80mm F5 refractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• AF1FAA65-5046-46D8-B651-74E42A2A949C.jpeg

• The_Vagabond and Bomber Bob like this

#8 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

I used to have one! I used to love to use it handheld with an Edmund 28mm RKE eyepiece. As a very portable little RFT it was great fun. The only reason I sold it was that it just wasn’t getting much use after I build my homebrew 80mm F5 refractor.

Sigh. 
Ay, that be the wee beastie. 
Still hain't heard from the original seller after I contacted them to let them know I was still interested as I'm no stranger to epoxy. 

Silence. Not a peep. 

Which is making me very suspicious. 

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#9 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 12 November 2020 - 05:59 PM

Fear not, they periodically pop up here in the CN Classifieds. Better yet, put your own want ad in them. You might have one sooner rather than later.

#10 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:12 PM

He may have changed his mind, and decided to keep it, and using the broken part as an excuse?

#11 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

He may have changed his mind, and decided to keep it, and using the broken part as an excuse?

They actually contacted me a short time ago and described the damage and stated that they were hesitant to ship because they were concerned about negative feedback. Said they were going to repair the focuser tube, which they say was bent (?). They'd get back in contact with me when the telescope was available. 

Which is... odd. Peculiar. Troubling. 

In the meantime, I found the mirror from a Steven Newtonian, which was the final version of the old Harmonic Reed Starmaster. Optically, not a bad 75mm aspheric. Bought two of these back in the 90's, dismantled one... but that is a story for another time. Going to take Terra's advice for now. 

#12 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:48 PM

Actually, going to hold on posting the "Wanted" for now. I'm moving at month's end (tragic story, really), so I don't want to muck things up in the process. I'll wait until I'm in my new digs. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#13 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:58 PM

Okay.

After a few days of waiting for him to get back to me regarding the baby Newt, I've heard nothing. This strikes me as peculiar. Now, even if he does get back to me, I'm going to be hesitant to deal with him. Something doesn't seem... right. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics