•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Antique Bausch & Lomb from Ship

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Maryjo C

Maryjo C

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 01:47 PM

Can anyone give me any information on this Bausch & Lomb Style II. I was told it was from a ship. It is almost 6 ft long and has a 4" lens which is broken. I am interested in purchasing it and would like to get it repaired, but I cannot find anyone local who does this kind of repair.  Any suggestions?  How much do you think it is worth if I do not repair it?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7680.JPG
  • IMG_7686.JPG
  • IMG_7684.JPG
  • IMG_7682.JPG

• Bomber Bob and TSSClay like this

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:01 PM

It is quite possible that it is an old style "harbour master" type telescope. They typically came mounted on al-taz mounted for viewing the harbour to keep track of which ships were coming and going. They would not make very good astronomical telescopes because they were not equatorial mounts nor were they built for viewing above a certain altitude. The optics were generally very good for air-spaced achromats and you could change eyepieces to change magnification. It looks like you just have the OTA so you can mount it on an equatorial mount.

Clear skies and good luck!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Maryjo C likes this

#3 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:35 PM

Contact Texas Nautical, https://www.landseaskyco.com/

Jim

• Maryjo C likes this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 12 November 2020 - 05:45 PM

It sounds like it’s a 4” F16 given the length you estimate. Put an ad in the CN Classifieds for a Jaegers replacement objective lens. There are a number of them floating around in the ATM community. Folks here will coach you through the replacement. It’s usually not hard.

• JamesMStephens and Maryjo C like this

#5 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:20 PM

Terra,

Do you think it's likely that a replacement lens (like a Jaegers objective) will fit the existing lens cell?  I suspect a machine shop job would be required.  Certainlt well worth it, but I'll bet it's a factor.

Jim

• Terra Nova likes this

#6 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:18 PM

I use a family-owned machine shop.  They do great work, and their prices are reasonable.  I give them pix of the restored scopes that they've contributed to; but, unlike my powder-coat guy, they don't put them on display in the office...

• tim53, photiost and JamesMStephens like this

#7 Ken Launie

Ken Launie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:51 PM

Hello Maryjo,

Where in the US are you located? Is it possible to upload larger versions of the photos you posted?

Thanks,

--Ken

• tim53 likes this

#8 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:10 PM

Terra,

Do you think it's likely that a replacement lens (like a Jaegers objective) will fit the existing lens cell?  I suspect a machine shop job would be required.  Certainlt well worth it, but I'll bet it's a factor.

Jim

Could be. Ya never know till ya try. It’s often very minor if you get lenses of close to the same dimensions.

• JamesMStephens likes this

#9 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:17 PM

Crawmach use to be a machine shop that worked exclusively on telescopes. That would be a good one to get, but I think he must have retired, because I can not find his business anymore. Maybe someone on CN would know how to find him and whether he is still in business. He has done a lot of quality work on telescopes.

#10 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:43 PM

Crawmach use to be a machine shop that worked exclusively on telescopes. That would be a good one to get, but I think he must have retired, because I can not find his business anymore. Maybe someone on CN would know how to find him and whether he is still in business. He has done a lot of quality work on telescopes.

He’s unfortunately nolonger in business. Danny provided a very useful service back in the day. He’s been done about five years or so.

#11 dan77

dan77

Vendor- Crawford Machine

• Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:31 PM

He’s unfortunately nolonger in business. Danny provided a very useful service back in the day. He’s been done about five years or so.

Hey miss Terra, I'm still around just hidin in the woods lol. No really I kinda got out of the astronomy side of it except for an occasional order for a good friend across the pond.

I have to admit I kinda miss it though..

Dan 

• steve t, catboat, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:32 PM

Hi Dan. I’m glad to hear from you! And I still use the rings you made for my little Mayflower scope all the time.

Attached Thumbnails

• B09D31DF-3A88-4A5D-97FA-0F47A15FD15C.jpeg

• steve t, Bomber Bob and JamesMStephens like this

#13 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:45 PM

Please, back to the topic.  Thank you.

#14 dan77

dan77

Vendor- Crawford Machine

• Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:00 AM

Please, back to the topic.  Thank you.

Sorry!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics