•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Older Wetzler 7x50 binos.....any info

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:14 PM

Hi all,

I am about to buy an older pair of binos for around au 50 dollars..

The text on left housing in  WETZLER in caps and that spelling

7x50

fov

372ft at 1000yds

Has Japan on them...

Has a number   74454

Anyone know anything of such an animal?

I only want it for general use on property....

#2 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

l have a 7x50 leitz

well worth it

#3 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

There is a LOT of difference between a 7x50 Leitz and a 7x50 Wetzler! Some importers of Japanese binoculars would put German sounding names on their binoculars to make them sound higher quality. 'Wetzler' is a place in Germany where IIRC both Leitz and Zeiss are made!  Some Wetzler are of reasonable, but lower quality, but make sure they have central focusing if you are using them for watching nature. 

• Foss and Gumball like this

#4 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:52 PM

I have seen Japan-made "Zeiss Wetzler" models, as well.

Neither was made by Leitz Wetzlar, of course, and neither was made by Carl Zeiss (or Jena, or Winkel, or...).

They don't qualify as "counterfeit," per se, but I'm sure their original market lifespan was quite short, due to likely trademark infringement and legal action.

They still may be fine binoculars, regardless of their trademark "heritage."

Let's hope some other folks have had actual hands-on (and eyes-on) experiences that they can share...

Best wishes.

Dan

• Foss likes this

#5 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:25 PM

there probably a average made Japan binocular

• Foss likes this

#6 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:27 PM

There is no trademark on Wetzlar since it is a geographic area. Guess they could have skipped the mispelling.

Reports I have read were negative.

Edited by markb, 13 November 2020 - 01:42 PM.

#7 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:35 PM

l would get a 7x50 leitz Wetzlar spend the xtra money though

have the real thing

#8 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:09 AM

Yes I had several 'Carl Wetzler' binoculars over the years. [As others have noted they used a German sounding name basically to impress buyers and increase sales.] Nothing remarkable about them. Typical post war 1960 to 1980 Japanese Porros. Coated lens only so they give limited light transmission and contrast, plus secondary ghosting on brighter images. They do have central focusing. They are not WP so they can suffer from internal deterioration and mildew esp. if not stored correctly. 7.1 degree FOV which is typical of most 7x50s. They are not 'rugged' type binoculars again which is typical of binos of that era.  Prior to buying them make sure there is no internal deterioration, look 'backwards down the main lens for any mildew / dust on the internal lens / prisms if there is avoid them as to clean them professionally is not worth it. Also check for any double images when viewing, again avoid if you see double images or the focus unit is not smooth. These are 50 year old binoculars so don't expect viewing excellence and more modern binos with better MC of FMC coatings give superior images. Still if they are clean inside and collimated well they will give you a workable image esp. if they are just for general use. 

Chris

Edited by chris charen, 13 November 2020 - 05:29 AM.

• markb likes this

#9 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:48 AM

I am prob a bit under the pump....I offered to buy them, I wont see them first, I understand what can happen as I have lots of Canon glass :)

The spelling is    WETZLER    on these ones......    I too suspect a German sounding name when Jap was on rise after ww2

The thing is, I have some cheap Chinese ones, and boy are they crapola.....as blury as except for centre.....we have some fences about 200 yards away, and it can be hard to workout what your looking at or what a person may be doing.....

My thinking was, I am hoping the older glass may kill the real cheap Chinese garbage on flea bay

I will be out 50AU dollars, or about 30 US posted to my place.

I should post a photo perhaps ?  I wont be star gazing with them, I remember family had a 20x50 of german made, very clear I remember, but hard to hold still enough....lol...

#10 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:53 AM

I am thinking of this pair to just hang around near back door.

A cheap pair of 8x or 10 x in a compact rugged form, so it can be toted around the place etc, must be able to easy focus...

And maybe a 20x50  or a spotting scope, for use when doing target work and really needing to zoom in on something, I had a spotter somewhere, cannot find atm....I sometimes use a 4-16 rifle scope, it also works as a scope to look closely at some things....and a good one is less than 150 here...

Not sure what spotting scopes or binos of 20 or more magnification for 50 to 100 US are around....

• Gumball likes this

#11 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:59 AM

https://www.gumtree....adId=1261156915

#12 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:17 AM

l would get a more rugged binocular with armour on it for your work

something more like a marine binocular

if you are looiking at your fence one with cross hairs to measure things on the fence if you need

Edited by lit, 13 November 2020 - 09:31 AM.

#13 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

They appear to be in very good shape! waytogo.gif

50AU for a good, clear, collimated, mechanically sound binocular is an excellent bargain.  Let's hope they check off those boxes.

Do let us know how they "behave," when you "get behind the wheel."  I look forward to it.

Best wishes.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 13 November 2020 - 10:00 AM.

#14 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:35 PM

A German sounding name, however years ago I saw this logo (Wetzler) on several models being sold in local department stores, never saw  Japan made on them, did see Hong Kong  and Korea, at $50 for a older used pair they are IMHO overpriced, they used to sell up here in Canada for less then $100 Canadian new Dave.

Edited by Binojunky, 13 November 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#15 fsphotography

fsphotography

Vostok 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:54 PM

Save your money,to pricey and any amount of better quality ones around.

Keep an eye on the op shops in your area.

Frank.

Edited by fsphotography, 13 November 2020 - 07:21 PM.

• Binojunky likes this

#16 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:59 AM

Yeah, am holding off, will offer 20 bucks and look for something not counterfeit even if many are ok...

#17 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:19 AM

Why would you think they are counterfeit?

It's not like they claim to be German-made by Zeiss.

For 30 USD, if they are not defective, you could do a lot worse.

#18 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:08 PM

the body on them binoculars don't look very strong either

#19 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:22 AM

Why would you think they are counterfeit?

It's not like they claim to be German-made by Zeiss.

For 30 USD, if they are not defective, you could do a lot worse.

Cause Jap made and EU sounding name that is spelt different to the place well known.

The real issue may be, that the guy selling them knows nothing about them, and, with no work, I do not want to gamble 50....  I could buy a well known bushnell version, or for double the money steiners ?    Not that I know much about binos, but the later ones will be a lot smaller and rubberised, I can wait for a german make 16 or 20 x version of hard skinned....

Or in other words, I got cold feet cause do not want to rush.

There is piles of counterfeit Chinese garbage on offer down here, darn Chinese are becoming like those pesty snake oil sales people....and these days many people have no issue lying to your face, let alone online....

#20 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:54 AM

The "Carl Wetztler" branding was sold a lot in Canada

and some K-Marts.   They are well-made, but made in Japan.

Not Zeiss.  Not one of the "Alphas".

Wetzlar by itself simply denotes a town where Zeiss has a plant,

but has an A, not an E. ;-)

#21 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:19 AM

There appears to be a misunderstanding here as to what is technically, legally and rightfully described as "counterfeit".

So far as I know, none of these "Wetzler" or "Carl Wetzler" binoculars were made so as to "appear identical" to any previous bona fide made in Germany models, and neither were any of them ever claimed by their manufacturers to be of German origin, but like "Lieberman and Gortz" were given "german sounding names" in an attempt to fool people they must be of a higher quality than they ever were.

If I had the means and desire to do so, there would probably be nothing to prevent me from coming to an arrangement with some manufacturer or other in China, for a range of binoculars to be made which I could choose to be branded "Beethoven & Benz"  or "Schneider & Weber" or "Oberahnbach".

Based on the ones I've seen, although it's true that there are almost certainly "worse" binoculars available for $30 than any either previously or currently branded "Carl Wetzler, there are also many available brand new these day priced below $100 that are a good deal better.

Kenny

• WALL.E, ihf and Senex Bibax like this

#22 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

Fair summary.

7x50 is the easiest size to get great

value from, whatever the era.

I just liked the mechanicals...that does help with the image.

"Beethoven & Benz" sounds like a fusion jazz group.

Make it "Benzo", and you've got some rap too.

#23 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:30 PM

Trying too fool someone with purpose near same name is same as counterfiet or fake in my book.

The real problem is, it muddies the waters so much, that it may be better to just spend 100 bucks on something new from a real store selling actual brands.

As I have looked further, ebay and gumtree etc are littered with counterfiets carrying very well known brands. Same spelling etc, and due to the makers myriad of models, it would be easy for me to be fooled too.

Thankfully when you buy glass for cameras, this prob does not exist.

My only issue, is I am not in a big city, so maybe I have to buy from a retailer that accepts returns, and just forget used minefield.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics