•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Big binos in the house!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:55 PM

Decided to give both eyes some photon time. So after doing some research, dusting off the credit card, clearing it with my lovely accountant, I placed my order.

Oberwerk really does a nice presentation with their products. Binos were in a double box with a cloth bag to protect the paint. The tripod comes with a carrying bag and pouch for extras. 

Photos don't do that pearl paint job justice. It looks just wonderful in person. Has a "deep" look to it. 

As luck would have it, it was clear outside!! After getting everything dialed in I spent time flying around the

open clusters in Cassiopeia. M31 fit inside the FOV and the planets took a little getting used to, hanging
there in a curtain of stars all 3D like.
I'm liking this 2 eyed thing! Next up, a binoviewer for the Dob!! 

Oh, and doubling up on my favorite eyepieces!

Attached Thumbnails

• ALL-TOGETHER.jpg

• Erik Bakker, PGW Steve, photiost and 14 others like this

#2 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:25 PM

Nice!!!!  I can only imagine the view!!!!!  Congratulations!!!!   Don't forget to thank your account flowerred.gif  !!!!! 

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:48 PM

Very nice!  Can I ask what version are they?  

#4 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

The XL-100's and the 5000 series tripod and head.

• duck2k and eyeoftexas like this

#5 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: Dixon, IL. Bortle 2 land in Wis.

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:39 AM

Nice and what’s highest power is useful? 4mm eyepiece for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars? 

#6 Rapidray

Rapidray

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia - Florida

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:43 AM

Oberwerk is on my list of to buy 

#7 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:59 AM

Nice and what’s highest power is useful? 4mm eyepiece for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars? 

One thing I haven't done yet is to try a single eyepiece in a tube to see how high I can go. 5mm is the shortest I have. 32mm the longest. I think the focal length is 560mm so I'll still need a scope for the really dim (or small) stuff. 

I was surprised though, that I did find M57 to be easy to see (40x), a little smoke ring hanging there in a field of stars. Using both eyes I find that I can go a lot longer observing before breaking away from the scope to rest my eyes. Seems like I can pick out more detail too. 

• duck2k likes this

#8 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:40 AM

I have the Obie 82’s with the P mount on the TR3 tripod.  Great combo all way round, especially with their 14mm. Sweet spot viewing. Kevin is fantastic to deal with.flowerred.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 8299F345-695F-4FCA-AA7D-9017E2A2E922.jpeg

• Dave Mitsky, happylimpet, dustyc and 1 other like this

#9 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:01 PM

I have the Obie 82’s with the P mount on the TR3 tripod.  Great combo all way round, especially with their 14mm. Sweet spot viewing. Kevin is fantastic to deal with.flowerred.gif

I almost got one of those. I like the way the tripod is out of the way. (for my lounge chair laugh.gif )

• duck2k likes this

#10 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:26 PM

You can tell which models they are by the color of the accents. The ED version has red anodized rings and a black rail.  The SD model has gold anodized rings and a gold rail.

• duck2k likes this

#11 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:54 PM

Very nice !! 

congrats

• dustyc likes this

#12 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:09 PM

Very nice !! 

congrats

Thanks! It's been a thrill revisiting old favorites with 2 eyes. 

M31 alone was worth it. 

• photiost likes this

#13 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

Congrats.  Please do a first light report whenever you can.

#14 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:32 AM

One thing I haven't done yet is to try a single eyepiece in a tube to see how high I can go. 5mm is the shortest I have. 32mm the longest. I think the focal length is 560mm so I'll still need a scope for the really dim (or small) stuff. 

I was surprised though, that I did find M57 to be easy to see (40x), a little smoke ring hanging there in a field of stars. Using both eyes I find that I can go a lot longer observing before breaking away from the scope to rest my eyes. Seems like I can pick out more detail too. 

I have the SD version of the Oberwerk BT 100.  I did not have any quality eyepieces when I got it so I purchased the Oberwerk branded 22mm and 7mm with it. The 7mm gives 80x and so far I have used them for the moon, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars. The 22mm offer 25x at the widest field of about 3 degrees which is very nice for open clusters. Nice and bright with its 4mm exit pupil and my old eyes. I have not experienced any color issues in this range. I have been wrestling with getting a 5mm pair for that little bit more (112x) but I think color correction begins to suffers over 80x.

Edited by sonny.barile, 16 November 2020 - 12:35 AM.

#15 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:10 AM

Are they actually 100mm aperture or stepped done a wee bit?

Also isn't there some way to equate 2 eyes, 2 tubes to single eye single tube? i.e. your 100s same as 130mm refractor? not saying they are, only using that as an example....isn't there something or an equation/equivalency out there?

raw total aperture~ about 18% great for 2 100s vs 1 130. but 40% less for a single eye. So 2 eyes gather 18% more than a single eye.

the real issue is, should I dump my AT130 for some BT-100XL-EDs?

Edited by stubeeef, 16 November 2020 - 01:28 AM.

#16 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:09 AM

Oberwerk specifies the BT100 as 96mm effective aperture.
  • sonny.barile and stubeeef like this

#17 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

I got rid of all my telescope equipment. The BT-100’s are just too easy and too satisfying to look elsewhere. I have found nirvana....meditation.gif

• dustyc and duck2k like this

#18 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:25 PM

I got rid of all my telescope equipment. The BT-100’s are just too easy and too satisfying to look elsewhere. I have found nirvana....meditation.gif

I have some great scopes. After purchasing the Resolux 15x70’s, I got hooked! I have giant binos, and bino scopes - I love them all. As for my scopes, they are cased and neatly put away. I have kept most of them for any future use (never know).:watching:

• sonny.barile likes this

#19 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:53 PM

Congrats.  Please do a first light report whenever you can.

Finally got to have a look at the cresent Moon. Just wonderful! A great 3D ball effect. On axis, just the slightest hint of green on the limb , pretty much can be ignored. Open clusters and globulars take on another perspective when viewed wide screen and low power. Using 2 eyes is sooo much easier for long periods! 

• sonny.barile and duck2k like this

#20 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:04 PM

Are they actually 100mm aperture or stepped done a wee bit?

Also isn't there some way to equate 2 eyes, 2 tubes to single eye single tube? i.e. your 100s same as 130mm refractor? not saying they are, only using that as an example....isn't there something or an equation/equivalency out there?

raw total aperture~ about 18% great for 2 100s vs 1 130. but 40% less for a single eye. So 2 eyes gather 18% more than a single eye.

the real issue is, should I dump my AT130 for some BT-100XL-EDs?

Well, If you're ever going to do photography,... 

I'm smitten enough that a binoviewer is next (for the dob). Too bad they don't sell those big binoscopes anymore. 1 of those coupled with 2" eyepieces would be heaven! 

Maybe, try the 130 with a binoviewer and then decide! 

With 2 eyes the sense of depth caused by the combo of faint and bright stars is just fun to look at! Closing 1 eye to gauge the cyclops mode doesn't last more than about 10 seconds or so. 

• duck2k likes this

#21 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:23 PM

Happily I don't feel cursed in the desire to do AP. Glad others do, I enjoy their labors. Me? A nice comfy chair, some scotch and the knowledge something wonderful is rising in the east for my future attention!

• sonny.barile, duck2k and eyeoftexas like this

#22 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:08 AM

Is anyone aware of a binocular mount with analog setting circles?

#23 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:37 AM

Is anyone aware of a binocular mount with analog setting circles?

APM makes a fork mount with the Nexus DSC. 

I read here on CN that it can be manually done by making a protractor for your azimuth and using a digital altimeter for altitude and the coordinates from an app like Sky Safari..........

Here is the part that was recommended. 

http://www.wixey.com...auge/index.html

I haven’t tried either myself as my interest in setting circles doesn’t go beyond reading.

I think the field of the binoculars makes it easy to star hop.....especially with the great apps available to us in the hobby these days. 

DustyC.   Have you tried the 5mm yet? 

Edited by sonny.barile, 20 November 2020 - 04:19 PM.

#24 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:34 AM

Thanks, I have a protractor on my Oberwork wooden tripod, and magnetic digital Alt device, but its not the best solution was hoping someone had bothered to actually manufacture one. Don't want to add digital anything to setup. Less is more as far I'm concerned.

Edited by stubeeef, 20 November 2020 - 09:37 AM.

• sonny.barile and duck2k like this

#25 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:53 PM

Happily I don't feel cursed in the desire to do AP. Glad others do, I enjoy their labors. Me? A nice comfy chair, some scotch and the knowledge something wonderful is rising in the east for my future attention!

Nailed it!:)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics