•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Big binos in the house!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

APM makes a fork mount with the Nexus DSC. 

I read here on CN that it can be manually done by making a protractor for your azimuth and using a digital altimeter for altitude and the coordinates from an app like Sky Safari..........

Here is the part that was recommended. 

http://www.wixey.com...auge/index.html

I haven’t tried either myself as my interest in setting circles doesn’t go beyond reading.

I think the field of the binoculars makes it easy to star hop.....especially with the great apps available to us in the hobby these days. 

DustyC.   Have you tried the 5mm yet? 

Sonny,

Haven't tried the 5mm. I have just one and I'm tempted to sell it and get a pair of Morpheus 6mm instead. Putting the 5 into just one tube gave a rather dim image (maybe fine for planets though) so either the 6mm or another 9mm to match the Morpheus I have. 

But I did get a pair of the Oberwerk 22mm! Good news is that there's just enough eye relief for me and my glasses. Haven't tried them in the binos yet, it's cloudy out. 

About setting circles: some retailer named Techosky sells a one armed bandit that can be outfitted with encoders. Weight limit is listed at 8kg. The 100 falls under that limit. I'm tempted but I gotta save up some more cash!

#27 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:42 PM

Sonny,

Haven't tried the 5mm. I have just one and I'm tempted to sell it and get a pair of Morpheus 6mm instead. Putting the 5 into just one tube gave a rather dim image (maybe fine for planets though) so either the 6mm or another 9mm to match the Morpheus I have. 

But I did get a pair of the Oberwerk 22mm! Good news is that there's just enough eye relief for me and my glasses. Haven't tried them in the binos yet, it's cloudy out. 

About setting circles: some retailer named Techosky sells a one armed bandit that can be outfitted with encoders. Weight limit is listed at 8kg. The 100 falls under that limit. I'm tempted but I gotta save up some more cash!

I found that mount and the encoders. Seems a tad light for the BT 100’s. By the time you put a couple of EP’s in your pushing the weight to the max side. That being said, it’s not terrible, and it adds “go to” to good comfortable optics. Every set-up has some compromises......

Edited by sonny.barile, 22 November 2020 - 08:45 PM.

• dustyc likes this

#28 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:13 AM

Is it the eLLe mount? Do a search of the forum, that's been found too light for the BT100.
  • sonny.barile likes this

#29 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:26 AM

Is it the eLLe mount? Do a search of the forum, that's been found too light for the BT100.

Yeah that's it. If it's too wimpy I guess I'm back to the regular fork mount. 

It's not like the 5000 tripod and head are unsuitable (the elevator feature of the tripod is great) but setting circles are helpful in my Bortle 8 or 9 backyard.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics