•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Conjunction photo; Venus, Moon and Mercury

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:30 PM

Friday morning, my wife and I were up at our place in the high desert. I'd spent a good part of the night observing but was up early with my wife. 

I looked out the front door to see the sunrise and saw Venus and the moon. I called her to come look as we've had some memorable views of the pair over the years. I saw the bright body below the moon and said, "Wow, that could be Mercury." A quick check of Sky Safari said it was.

This photo was taken with my Pixel XL smartphone in the Nightsight mode.

IMG_14112020_161337_(680_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Jon

• Special Ed, Bill Jensen, cbwerner and 18 others like this

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

Nice catch, Jon!  nice exposure as well.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:45 PM

Dang it!  I tried 2 days ago and could not catch Merc.  Might have been a little late.  Nice pic

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 imtl

imtl

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: On earth

Posted 15 November 2020 - 06:08 PM

Jon, I captured the trio as you did alongside with Jupiter, Saturn and Mars in an amazing single night, 4 years ago down under in NZ.

The story was that I had about only half an hour to take pictures of all this and I was stopped by a police car while running up the hill, in my pajamas at 4:30AM, with a camera and tripod, to get a clear shot of all this.
They thought I stole the camera/tripod and didn't believe me when I pointed to the dots in the sky and tried and explain to them what I'm doing. Eventually I've convinced them that I would probably be the dumbest looking thief if I steal stuff like this in my pajamas... Then I showed then a picture of Saturn and they were hooked. (Actually they were bored and went home while mumbling something about crazy astronomers in pajamas....)

But anyways, here are the shots I made that evening. With just a point and shoot camera and a manual tripod. Lucky imaging all the way. smile.gif

med_gallery_259665_13682_1040359.jpg
Thanks for sharing this.

• Jon Isaacs and mikerepp like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics