•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software to remotely access computer in Observatory

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 sberrada

sberrada

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

Hi,

I have an observatory beside my Chalet, so I usually get the observatory started and then go into my chalet about 50 feet away  (like a warm room) where I use Teamviewer to access my observatory computer which allows me to control the scope / mount using MaximDL.

However, recently Teamviewer stopped working because it thinks that I am using it commercially (free for personal use but expensive for commercial ($60/ month).  I tried to get Teamviewer to reset my account since I am using it for personal use only, but it did not work.

My plan B is VNC viewer which works as long as computers are all on same wifi.   This is fine for use from my chalet, but eventually I would like to use it remotely from my home (60 miles away and different wifi).

Does anyone have a software to recommend for getting into my observatory computer remotely and controlling it ?

i think that windows 10 pro is another option (Remote Desktop) but this would require the cost / installation in each of my 3 computers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

thanks

sam 

• TMO likes this

#2 Arie

Arie

Viking 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:03 PM

I gave a demo at our club meetings how I can control my obsy remotely from there over the internet using VNC.

Even with my Iphone and Ipad.

• Raginar likes this

#3 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:06 PM

I have to admit, I bit the bullet and paid for TV as I have several remote locations and it has always worked well for my work (I'm a Clinical Research Scientist). 

An option worth looking at is Any Desk. 

Best, 

Simon

Edited by SimonIRE, 15 November 2020 - 12:07 PM.

#4 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Viking 1

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

I gave a demo at our club meetings how I can control my obsy remotely from there over the internet using VNC.

I find VNC works well.  I use the UltraVNC edition and I've not had any issues with it.

I'm running Windows 10 Home or Pro on my devices.

(also used TightVNC at work and found it works equally well)

I've also used a VNC client from Android to connect successfully to the session.

For the device you want to connect to, you need to install the 'server' parts.

And you only need the client on the devices you want to connect from remotely (i.e. inside the house or elsewhere).

Lots of helpful tutorials online for configuring.

TV (Teamviewer) is a nice option particularly if you want to connect remotely over the internet (outside your own personal network).

On advice of another amateur I tried nomachine but I found I liked VNC better.

Good luck,

John

#5 siriusarcher

siriusarcher

Messenger

• Loc: Canada

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:32 PM

I like Microsoft's built-in Remote DeskTop utility. It is free, very stable, and very reliable. I've used TeamViewer but am finding RDT to be faster to connect and less lag over a local network, plus do not need that pesky password to be entered on the client device. When I am in a remote location with no WiFi I have a mini-router to generate a local ad-hoc network and can access the mini-pc on my scope wirelessly. RDT is free with Windows 10 Pro and the apps that let Android, iOS, and most other client devices operate the remote computer are all free. You can save your various connection profiles (wired ethernet, wireless ad-hoc, wireless wifi with internet, etc.) and access any of them by double-clicking in the RDP client app to log into the remote pc without the need for a monitor, mouse, or keyboard (headless). 

• psandelle, EdM2 and numchuck like this

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

If you are on a LAN and the target computer runs Win10 Pro then switch over to Windows Remote Desktop. If not, then use Anydesk which works as well as TeamViewer. I found it vastly easier to just use Anydesk than to set up Tight VNC but there's may be some advantage that I missed. 

• EdM2 likes this

#7 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:57 PM

I run Windows 10 Pro on both my warm room (family room) and scope and I have never had a problem with Remote Desktop. It is free with the Pro edition. I have also run 'Remote Admin' but that program requires a fee to use.

• EdM2 likes this

#8 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 15 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

I have used Remote Desktop for years reliably.  It easily allows using multiple monitors too.

• EdM2 likes this

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

I have an observatory beside my Chalet, so I usually get the observatory started and then go into my chalet about 50 feet away (like a warm room) where I use Teamviewer to access my observatory computer which allows me to control the scope / mount using MaximDL.

However, recently Teamviewer stopped working because it thinks that I am using it commercially (free for personal use but expensive for commercial ($60/ month). I tried to get Teamviewer to reset my account since I am using it for personal use only, but it did not work.

My plan B is VNC viewer which works as long as computers are all on same wifi. This is fine for use from my chalet, but eventually I would like to use it remotely from my home (60 miles away and different wifi).

Does anyone have a software to recommend for getting into my observatory computer remotely and controlling it ?

i think that windows 10 pro is another option (Remote Desktop) but this would require the cost / installation in each of my 3 computers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
sam

If you’re on a local network Remote Desktop works. VNC works really well too.

#10 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:34 PM

Windows Remote Desktop works well.  You only need the Pro version of Windows on the remote computer.  Standard Windows has the client already.

• EdM2 likes this

#11 sberrada

sberrada

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

I really appreciate your valuable comments and insights.

So there are many alternatives that can work from a remote location or from my chalet which is beside the observatory  (my observatory computer is connected to the chalet router through Ethernet cable).

VNC, AnyDesk, Remote Desktop and TV.

Un grand Merci.

Sam 

#12 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:19 PM

I've used Real VNC to interconnect about 10 devices, including Windows computers, iPads and iPhones. The original free version was great -- you could connect devices over your LAN without going to the cloud. Fortunately, I retain three of those licenses. The newer free versions requires all of the traffic to go through the cloud.

#13 RussD

RussD

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:43 PM

Like you I used TV for a long time and they would say I was commercial. I got them to switch it back 3 times over the years.

I gave up.

I use Windows Remote Desktop. It has great performance especially if you are connecting on your home network. 

RealVNC or one of the other solutions that run on your local network would be my second. 

Russ

#14 jessebear

jessebear

Mariner 2

• Loc: Gretna, NE

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:59 PM

In the past I've set up a router to run a VPN server so I could access my home network remotely, including using VNC to control connected devices remotely.

To access a work computer from home I use a VPN to access the company network and then use either VNC Viewer or Remote Desktop.

#15 dhaval

dhaval

Vanguard

• Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:23 PM

Just use AnyDesk. No need to worry about professional version of Windows, not that it is a bad thing (helps with scheduling updates and such), but AD is just very simple to use and works just as well as TV does.

CS!

#16 choward94002

choward94002

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Central AZ

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:51 PM

Vote here for TightVNC ... easy to use, can tolerate slow/ bad internet connection and no cost at all ...

#17 Dustin Smith

Dustin Smith

Ranger 4

• Vendors
  • Loc: Roswell, GA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

I paid the $100 to upgrade my observatory computer to Windows 10 Pro so I could use Remote Desktop. It's the best option in my opinion, and I tried just about all of them. You only need Pro on the observatory computer, you don't have to have it on the computer to use to connect to the observatory computer.

Dustin

• EdM2 likes this

#18 sberrada

sberrada

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all your suggestions - very valuable and they provide several alternatives.

I just installed ANYDESK and it seems to work great.

VNC also works, but I need to configure it for remote access.

Teamviewer just reset my acount so I can use again (for now)...

With respect to windows Remote Desktop, sounds like a robust system.  However an issue that I see is that when you take control of the observatory computer, its screen  goes dark.  This is an issue if you want to have the option to walk in the observatory and see the computer screen.

Thanks again to each of you 

Sam 

#19 ldcarson

ldcarson

Explorer 1

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:20 AM

Google chrome also offers remote access via its browser.  I use windows 10 pro but am going to try google chrome to see how it operates.  It’s relatively new remotedesktop.google.com

good luck

Edited by ldcarson, 17 November 2020 - 12:22 AM.

#20 RussD

RussD

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:34 PM

If you have a remote setup, it is good to have more than one way to get to your desktop for sure.  I have a VPN connection to my observatory and Remote Desktop in on most days.  But if I am offsite, I may use TV or Chrome or one of the other tools out there as backup.  I test it regularly to make sure it is still running.  Anydesk sounds good. Have not tried it.

Russ

#21 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:58 PM

At some point I will have to get Windows Remote Desktop running on the www.

"its screen  goes dark"

I shut down the desktop computer Remote Desktop connection and open a tablet connection.  Walking out with the tablet gives me and the 'headless' NUC the screen view to tweek settings at the mount.

Yes I keep a monitor, keyboard, mouse...that I can plug into the NUC PC at the ready yet rarely needed.

#22 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:25 PM

However an issue that I see is that when you take control of the observatory computer, its screen  goes dark.  This is an issue if you want to have the option to walk in the observatory and see the computer screen.

I like that the screen in there is dark: if doesn't interfere with my AP.  If I walk into the observatory and want to use the screen, I just unlock it.

#23 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:43 AM

I  have chrome remote desktop working on the observatory computers. That way if AnyDesk crashes out I can get in with Chrome RD to at least shut things down. 

Both of my imaging computers are headless and NOT laptops. I don't really trust laptops in outdoor settings. The two of them are under some protection from the weather as well. 

I keep a backup computer that has all the software already configured for either of my systems (more or less). I keep a keyboard, monitor and mouse at the observatory in case I need to work on one of the computers out by the actual mount. 

Since I try to avoid changing things out very much that's a rare event but it happens.

Rgds-Ross

#24 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:31 PM

Apparently few people realize that there is built-in bare metal connectivity offered in Intel's chips. As long as you have a processor with vPro included you can do a secure VNC connection to the console. I can't stress enough how cool this is - it's like you are sitting in the same room as the box. I can physically power up/down, see BIOS POSTs, etc. It does take configuration to enable this but man is it cool. I used it at a very large FinTech so we could provide SEC oversight of specific systems. Some systems were literally in closets with no tech support withing hundreds of miles (Alaska, other remote areas). It was a huge game changer for us and saved a ton of time/money. I can go deep with this if anyone wants. It's been a few years but the concepts are still the same.

Also, I'm a huge RDP fan, Windows Remote Desktop rocks for normal remote connectivity. vPro gets you the ability to do the things that no other service can (outside of server-based solutions like iLO or DRAC controllers.

https://www.intel.co...rewithvpro.html

• RSX11M+ likes this

#25 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:54 PM

Apparently few people realize that there is built-in bare metal connectivity offered in Intel's chips. As long as you have a processor with vPro included you can do a secure VNC connection to the console. I can't stress enough how cool this is - it's like you are sitting in the same room as the box. I can physically power up/down, see BIOS POSTs, etc. It does take configuration to enable this but man is it cool. I used it at a very large FinTech so we could provide SEC oversight of specific systems. Some systems were literally in closets with no tech support withing hundreds of miles (Alaska, other remote areas). It was a huge game changer for us and saved a ton of time/money. I can go deep with this if anyone wants. It's been a few years but the concepts are still the same.

Also, I'm a huge RDP fan, Windows Remote Desktop rocks for normal remote connectivity. vPro gets you the ability to do the things that no other service can (outside of server-based solutions like iLO or DRAC controllers.

https://www.intel.co...rewithvpro.html

What would be a good NUC with this feature?  I would assume the VNC link would be cross platform?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics