•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software to remotely access computer in Observatory

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 24 December 2020 - 06:44 PM

I think I have tried them all and decided Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop is best.

1.  You only need it on the scope computer.

2.  Works with WiFi or cat6 cable.

3.   Will work peer to peer, no requirement for Internet.

4.   Unlike TeamViewer, no hassle about 'commercial use'.

5.   Unlike some options, you won't be worried by firewall and antivirus alerts.

6.   Greater control over Windows updates, notifications and junk.

7.    Ability to manage/disable RemoteFX compression.

What most folk don't realise is that commercial networks embrace aggressive RemoteFX compression and that is the default setting. This is designed to prevent a single user choking a commercial network with excessive data. But as you are probably a sole user of your home network, you can comfortably reduce or disable it via Group Profiles. This has permitted me to develop an end to end 4K UHD system over WiFi. I spent £££'s on expensive MESH 802.11ac 5Ghz WiFi extenders and their full potential wasn't released until I had control over RemoteFX compression. I think only Windows 10 Pro offers such control, yet all use some form of compression. You might only be using the computer indoors as a dumb terminal, but if live stacking extreme short exposures, each exceeding 4K UHD,  whilst the scope side computer is the workhorse it is still a massive amount of screen data to be wirelessly transmitted if intent on using a 4K UHD graphics display. 

• bmurphy495 and chakel like this

#52 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:01 PM

I signed up for Teamviewer last year and actually quite like it....apart from the stupid price. 

1 month ago I got stung with renewal; no warning | contractual obligation to notify them 28 days in advance if you want to cancel. 

I wanted to change to Anydesk or use Windows Remote Desktop. 

I got royally robbed...

#53 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:44 PM

I prefer using VPN to access my network from outside. It's far more secure. But, I have the equipment and experience to do it. Over the local net, I generally use VNC or Parallels Access for my Mac and Linux boxes and RDP for windows access.

For IP address, I use the fully qualified name for my cable modem, which for Xfinity is the MAC address, followed by the region and domain name of the provider.

Edited by Bill Lee, 02 January 2021 - 12:54 PM.

#54 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

7.    Ability to manage/disable RemoteFX compression.

Hey can you talk a little bit about this? I have 10Pro on my scope PC and in my office. My understanding is that the rendering for a remote desktop session is mostly on the machine you are connecting from (for instance my office), and adjusting this setting will allow a lot of the rendering to occur on the remote machine? My remote machine is pretty beefy as far as computers go and has decent on chip graphics (Ryzen5 3400G with 32G of RAM).  Just with default settings, it works very well with an 802.11AC 5Ghz connection, but there are some minor graphics annoyances. 

1. Is the RemoteFX Compression setting adjusted on the local machine, the remote machine or both?

Part of the problem I'm having is all the IT tech lingo that tells you nothing. 

What the heck is the RD Virtualization Host and what is the RD Session Host? Are these to be adjusted on the local or remote machine?

By default, RemoteFX for RD Virtualization Host is enabled and RemoteFX for RD Session Host is disabled.

Do I want to enable all of these? 

Capture

Edited by bmurphy495, 09 January 2021 - 11:30 AM.

#55 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

There are cloud based remote options such as RealVNC Connect that forgo much of "IT" headaches. However I'm not a big fan of the fees and having my connection info on someone else's servers.

RealVNC Home is free for up to 5 computers. It works great. The machines can be anywhere on the planet, and as long as they have internet access, it just works. The connection is mediated by RealVNC so you don’t need to know IP addresses or make special firewall configurations for it. I’ve been using it for my imaging sessions just fine. 

It doesn’t address your specific man-in-the-middle concerns but for those that don’t care, it’s a good solution. 

Edited by Omeganon, 09 January 2021 - 05:25 PM.

#56 aleigh

aleigh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:10 PM

If you need a GUI +1 for vncviewer, unless it is windows, and then remote desktop all the way. 

#57 J.hogan.10

J.hogan.10

Lift Off

• Loc: Parrish, FL

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:20 PM

Where does controlling the telescope come in to play? Same programs like NINA, sharpcap and PHD2 just show up on your phone/tablet, mirror image? Or after you get programs turned on you use Stellarium or skysafari pro? Thank you.

#58 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:33 PM

Where does controlling the telescope come in to play? Same programs like NINA, sharpcap and PHD2 just show up on your phone/tablet, mirror image? Or after you get programs turned on you use Stellarium or skysafari pro? Thank you.

Yea, so Voyager does a web page interface that works good over a network.  I still like to have Remote Desktop (splashtop if I'm truly remote...) for more detailed work or if I need to play with things like scripting.

• archer1960 and J.hogan.10 like this

#59 glatiak

glatiak

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 44 10' 23" N, 77 20' 21" W, Belleville, ON

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:15 PM

I run a local windows domain so all my machines are Win 10 Pro -- which provides better network capabilities. I use Remote Desktop exclusively and found it stable and reliable. I have used Teamviewer and VNC in the past -- VNC was fine but I found it a bit cryptic to get going in a mixed Windows and Linux environment. Teamviewer works well when it works but I was not comfortable with the external connections to my devices. And there is the licensing issue. Remote Desktop just works.

#60 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:38 AM

I thought that RealVnc costs 3 bucks a month per remote computer. I access three remote computers every night when I'm imaging and I wouldn't want to spend over 100 dollars a year when I don't have to. AnyDesk, Chrome Remote Desktop, TeamViewer are all free. Did I miss something?

My mistake - there's a "home" version that's free. Might be an interesting alternative to the ones I'm already using. 

Rgrds-Ross

#61 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:38 AM

I've been using RealVNC for about 8 years and have 7 or 8 computers with it installed. There are two ways RNC connects to computers. I use both

The first is using a direct IP address. This works great as long as you are operating within your LAN.  You just need to set a reserved IP address for the destination computer (running VNC Server). Things get complicated if you are outside your LAN. In that case you need a reserved IP address, port forwarding, and dynamic DNS.

The second is via a RealVNC server. This means all of your traffic has to leave your LAN, go through the internet, and then return to a computer that might be a few dozen or hundred feet away. Silly. Stupid actually if you just need to connect to computers on the LAN. Painful if (like me) you operate under ISP data caps.

The old "free" versions of RealVNC Server allowed for the first option but they no longer offer that. Fortunately, I have three grandfathered licenses set up years ago and that is what I use for my astronomy computers. Unfortunately, this server software is no longer available as a free application. RealVNC "upgraded" things a few years ago.

Now the "free" (Home) version requires you to go through RealVNC's remote servers.  I use that as well and hate it.

You can still go to the old model using direct LAN-based connections but you have to pay for it now.

Marty

• Raginar likes this

#62 Genoafire

Genoafire

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Nevada

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:01 PM

Great information.
I have been using remote desktop on my inside MacBook Pro to communicate with my HP computer at the Telescope in my backyard over our secure WIFI. It works great, but I have one question for everybody that is using remote desktop that I have not been able to solve. Every time I connect the Mac to the remote desktop on the the HP I have to enter my email password. I tried some different Google suggestions to eliminate the password requirement and none of them worked. Can someone please enumerate the exact steps I need to take to eliminate having to type in my email password every time on the MacBook Pro screen to communicate with the Hp via Remote Desktop?
Thanks so much,

Bob

#63 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:22 PM

bmurphy495:  Try some more read here:

"Q&A: Microsoft RemoteFX and Remote Desktop Session Host Servers"

My instrument computer is in process of remote site deployment so I cannot check the settings.  Hope this helps.

• bmurphy495 likes this

#64 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 23 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

bmurphy495:  Try some more read here:

"Q&A: Microsoft RemoteFX and Remote Desktop Session Host Servers"

My instrument computer is in process of remote site deployment so I cannot check the settings.  Hope this helps.

Hey thank you so much for that link. I did find some stuff after googling and it does allow for tweaking the RD connection for better performance but that is a nice summary.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics