•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with a classic toy scope

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:28 PM

Considered a toy scope, but these scopes are very well built, has a metal tube, glass optics ( not plastic ). I found a skilcraft refractor at a yard sale the other day. It has to be from the 60's, and the box is like new. I opened the box, and the scope does not have a scratch, it looks like it may have never been used. The owner said it had not been used in probably 35 years, his son had it before he went to college, and he never used more than once or twice. It has two eyepieces.

Anyway, today I decided to get it out and go over it. I looked down into the objective end, and it seems to have several baffles, but one of the baffles seems to have gotten off center, maybe slid over or something. The objective cell slides off, but it really takes a lot to pull it off. Then there was another lens a couple inches down from the objective, and it seems to have several spacers, and maybe a baffle under it. It seems like maybe a spacer, or baffle has slid out of place, because when you look down the tube, about half of the round light coming from the eyepiece end is covered, and you can tell that something has gotten out of line inside.

I want to find it and fix it, but before I start doing something that I do not know what I will be getting into, just wonder if anyone else who has ever had one of these, or has one now, would know what or how to take out the secondary lens system inside the objective. I know these scopes are good, because a friend of mine in school had one, and I know that the condition this scope is in, it would be a very nice scope when that problem is fixed.

So if anyone has any experience with this scope, and may know what I need to try or do, get back with me, or personal message me. Oh, by the way, I can not do pictures,

Billy

Edited by grif 678, 15 November 2020 - 08:28 PM.

• steve t likes this

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:42 PM

Photos always help. 

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics