•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The edge-on Galaxy NGC 1055 (Cetus)

dob dso EAA sketching
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FRANC LILL

FRANC LILL

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 60km south of Bordeaux, France

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:36 AM

Hi everyone,

NGC 1055 is a barred spiral edge-on galaxy located in Cetus constellation at about 45 million light years. Its prominent bulb is crossed by a wide and dark band of dust. It belongs to the group of M77 which includes at least seven galaxies located in the constellations of Whale and Eridanus.

Contemplating this galaxy of mag 11.4 is spectacular because of the proximity of two bright stars in the foreground which seem to give it a ghostly aspect.

Clear skies,

Francis

16" Dobsonian, eyepiece observation with Ethos 13mm and EAA observation with SiOnyx Aurora NV camera in afocal mount behind a 25mm Celestron eyepiece, good conditions of seeing and average transparency. Drawing on black Canson with pastel pencils. Digital photography of the sketch, redrawing of the stars and final formatting.

201112-NGC1055.jpg

• Magellanico, rodelaet, frank5817 and 15 others like this

#2 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:44 AM

Very nice capture of the dark lane.The nearby field stars are like icing on a cake.

#3 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:47 AM

Francis,

Great report and drawing. I am really interested in the SiOnyx device. Previous reports seem to be positive and negative regarding DSOs.  What is your opinion?

#4 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:22 AM

Francis, very nice sketch. It's been a while since I observed it, but looking at that thick dark lane it most certainly deserves a revisit with the 16". 

Thanks for the reminder smile.png

Regards, Martijn

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:38 AM

Francis,

That is a superb sketch and the dust lane is impressive in your sketch.

Frank :)

#6 FRANC LILL

FRANC LILL

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 60km south of Bordeaux, France

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:07 PM

Thank you mdowns, Martijn, Frank and also all the likers!

Francis,

Great report and drawing. I am really interested in the SiOnyx device. Previous reports seem to be positive and negative regarding DSOs.  What is your opinion?

Hi Dave,

I am using that cam since one and half years. It gives me a large pleasure in detailing DSO's, at the place generally I could only see a blurry spot at the eyepiece.
Red emission nebula's are remarkably enhanced whereas blue reflecting nebula's are more difficult .In general, the spiral arms of galaxies can be well detailed. For that job I am working in BW mode. Color mode is interesting for comets or bright PN's.

If you want to get one, take one of the classic versions, not the Pro version. Apparently they modified the setting of the gain for the Pro version and that is unusable for astronomy because the shades of the captures are uncontrollably saturated. I bought one last summer and sold it back quickly.

Regards,
Francis

Edited by FRANC LILL, 16 November 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#7 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:19 PM

Thank you mdowns, Martijn, Frank and also all the likers!

Hi Dave,

I am using that cam since one and half years. It gives me a large pleasure in detailing DSO's, at the place generally I could only see a blurry spot at the eyepiece.
Red emission nebula's are remarkably enhanced whereas blue reflecting nebula's are more difficult .In general, the spiral arms of galaxies can be well detailed. For that job I am working in BW mode. Color mode is interesting for comets or bright PN's.

If you want to get one, take one of the classic versions, not the Pro version. Apparently they modified the setting of the gain for the Pro version and that is unusable for astronomy because the shades of the captures are uncontrollably saturated. I bought one last summer and sold it back quickly.

Regards,
Francis

Great. Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

#8 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:43 PM

If you want to get one, take one of the classic versions, not the Pro version. 

Would that include the Aurora Sport? In the United States, there is the Aurora sport, aurora black and the Aurora in addition to the Pro. The Sport is by far the cheapest as it doesn't have some of the extras that I don't need or want anyway.

Thanks

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:55 PM

Francis,

Good sketych of The edge-on Galaxy NGC 1055 (Cetus) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#10 Raul Leon

Raul Leon

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa Florida

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:20 PM

Nice Francis, very realistic presentation 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, dso, EAA, sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics