•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DOES THE MOON HOLD SECRETS

moon observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 big eye

big eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:55 AM

Have you ever ponded on that big golden ball in the sky and considered all of the magical coincidences that are before us? Going there again or even a thousand times may not answer the many mysteries. When the moon is above me I find it very hard to turn my eyes away from it. I am compelled to turn my telescope to the moon at every available opportunity the many crates and large maria that consume the endless surface amaze me. Let me start by listing a range of strange facts that we can observe the maria's ever wondered why 95 percent of them directly face the Earth does it have something to do with the tidal lock when I look at these maria features I see rounded boarding cliffs and mountains no doubt they are the result of the largest impacts to have struck the moon most of the moons well formed craters are partially filled with larva but the maria appear all larva with out of proportion rims. Why did such large impacts occur so late in the formation of our closed neighbor did not the big bodies came together first leaving the smaller impactors last yet we see very few on the large maria's surface the large maria's are vast and range in size from 100 to 1000 miles in diameter spread out on one side was the moon waiting patiently for so many large impacts to occur on one side. Of course, the mysteries do not stop there the apparent size of the moon in relation to the sun the direct effects the moon has regarding life on Earth the fact that we have this large majestic neighbor at all. I shan't bore you with my theories I just hope that others can share my passion for the real magic that we all live with. Ian.

• LunarObserver, Voyager 3 and ziggeman like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:19 AM

The full moon looks flat to me. I still like to look at it, and people tell me it's spherical, but still... it looks flat to me. When it's in other phases, then it looks like a ball. The Earth, on the other hand... looks flat, at least around here. Then I travel thousands of miles away, where it should look curved... but it's flat there too! So, by extrapolation, evidence seems to confirm that it's flat all over!   Tom

• Heywood likes this

#3 big eye

big eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:26 AM

The full moon looks flat to me. I still like to look at it, and people tell me it's spherical, but still... it looks flat to me. When it's in other phases, then it looks like a ball. The Earth, on the other hand... looks flat, at least around here. Then I travel thousands of miles away, where it should look curved... but it's flat there too! So, by extrapolation, evidence seems to confirm that it's flat all over!   Tom

I'm sorry Tom but I do not understand.

#4 ziggeman

ziggeman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:47 AM

At times when I was a schoolboy I used to think that the marks on the earth-oriented side of the moons surface were like imprints from the earths surface from when the earth and moon "separated". I used to try to match the moons seas (mare crisium etc) with patterns on earths surface but 'mirrored' in view...I explained the differences with age, earthquakes and continental drifting and sea. smile.gif

I know now they say some other planet did those marks wink.gif Theia smirk.gif

Edited by ziggeman, 16 November 2020 - 10:05 AM.

#5 big eye

big eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Ziggeman I'm glad you have this curiosity I hope one day we will all know the history of the moon.

• ziggeman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics