•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hues of Saturn

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:38 PM

About a month ago I was looking at Saturn with my

Stellarvue 102 APO with the OK-4 LOMO configured LZOS glass doublet. I swear I could see subtle pastel colored bands on the planet itself during a night of exceptional skies. Ordinarily I just get the normal pretty much white on black background. I began to question myself now and wondered if my memory is playing tricks on me. I read various astronomy magazines with some high quality Hubble photos and wonder if my brain has somehow interpolated the pictures as substituted memories. 

Has anyone seen this before or am I perhaps misremembering my memory of the view. I was observing alone that night so no confirmation possible. 

Thanks for any who respond.

Bob Shields

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:47 PM

You saw correctly!  There are lots of colors on the Planet itself. In an 80ED I could regularly see 4-6 different colored bands, light pastels mostly, as you mention: Peach, Cream, Yellow, Tan, etc.  In my 12" Dob, double that.

• bulletdodger likes this

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:48 PM

I can get faint hues with my 6" SCT on good nights, and definitely with either 8".  but skies have to be pretty stable and transparent.  usually upwards of 120x though to see any kind of subtle colors.

#4 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:22 PM

Thanks so much for confirming I am not crazier than my normal level of crazy. I guess that was a rare night in my neck of the woods and had never noticed it before. 

Feeling much better now!

Edited by bulletdodger, 17 November 2020 - 05:23 PM.

• John Gauvreau likes this

#5 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

Nice observation, Bob! 
I definitely see coloured bands through my 130mm refractor.  Subtle but clear. I’m betting now that you’ve seen them and are aware of them you will see them all the time.  

#6 nibiru711

nibiru711

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:18 PM

I have been seeing the center band all year long with three different telescopes the largest being a Orion 6 inch dobsonian.

#7 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:18 PM

I definitely have seen some different bands of colors on the planet, but overall, it looks yellow unless I boost magnification pretty high. The other shades have been Grey & a very light brown.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#8 Eppur si muove

Eppur si muove

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:55 PM

About a month ago I was looking at Saturn with my

Stellarvue 102 APO with the OK-4 LOMO configured LZOS glass doublet. I swear I could see subtle pastel colored bands on the planet itself during a night of exceptional skies. Ordinarily I just get the normal pretty much white on black background. I began to question myself now and wondered if my memory is playing tricks on me. I read various astronomy magazines with some high quality Hubble photos and wonder if my brain has somehow interpolated the pictures as substituted memories. 

Has anyone seen this before or am I perhaps misremembering my memory of the view. I was observing alone that night so no confirmation possible. 

Thanks for any who respond.

Is this what  you mean? That´s Saturn, Titan and four other moons.This is what I got with a Nexstar 6¨ SE and a Neximage 10. Of course I can´t see these hues with a simple eyepiece...

Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn + Titan and 4 moons 20-08-13.jpg

• rkelley8493 likes this

#9 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

I see several band areas on the surface of the planet.  Only things I've never detected is the polar octagon or Encke gap in the rings; I'm not talking about the Encke minimum, which I see regularly but the actual gap.

You may try a yellow filter if you have one, it helps with shading on the planet.

#10 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:41 AM

There are several belts visible on Saturn although the color contrast between the belts and zones is generally more subtle and the scale smaller than for Jupiter.  The result is that we typically only see a few of the belts.   Unless the seeing is very good it can be particularly difficult to discern the different hues.  I find subtle color contrast suffers greatly in mediocre or poor seeing--probably the first thing lost.  A 5" Apo can show these things as can larger scopes, but again at the mercy of the seeing.  The exceptional nights show far more than typical nights.

Look at Kokatha man's images of Saturn for an idea of what the eye is looking for.  

#11 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:00 AM

Here is a drawing of how Saturn would appear to me with my 4 inch refractor.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn-cn.JPG

#12 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:44 PM

I do not remember that many belts being visible in my 8 inch, though I must admit I never have cranked the magnification above 240X very often. Seeing from my location is not always very good for planetary viewing. 

On second thought I was looking at your colors, not the belts, that is the number of belts I have seen, but only once or twice. Usually I just see one half of Saturn a different shade than the other. Plus, my eyes are usually drawn to the rings & also how many moons I can see..

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#13 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Vanguard

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:42 PM

I can see several cloud bands on Saturn in my 5" Apo and to a slightly lesser degree in my 4" doublet. I've seen the Hexagon Vortex a handful of times when the seeing is excellent and skies are transparent. It kind of has a greyish tint to it. Here are a couple cellphone images of Saturn in my Stellarvue 130.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200816_220847.jpg
  • IMG_20200816_220849.jpg

• jrkirkham likes this

#14 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:10 PM

Very nice, but you can see where the local seeing was limiting your finer details here. This is my more usual view of the planet, one half being somewhat darker than the other, usually its the southern hemisphere. You only catch bands when seeing clears off to a much greater degree. I do note that I can get a bit of a view of the crepe ring in your pics. I usually see that easily in my 8 inch reflector.

Clear Skies,

Matt

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics