•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Please help identify this old telescope

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Aydanjessie

Aydanjessie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:23 PM

Hello,
I'm new here. My grandpa was given this telescope by a neighbor who didn't want it anymore. Seems to have a lot of bells and whistles, but I can't find any markings on it. Any help identifying it, information about the quality of the telescope and the lenses, and suggestions on cleaning would be greatly appreciated (it's been sitting in his basement for a while). I'm hoping to gift it to my boyfriend for Christmas, so while I'm not planning on selling it, it would also be nice to know a general value.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:27 PM

It would help if you load a few pictures. Click on "More Reply Options" at the bottom when you add another post. It gives you options to upload images and add them to the post.

• Aydanjessie likes this

#3 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:35 PM

Without images I'm going to have to use my psychic powers on this one:

"I divine its an old Tasco, 60mm achro refractor, or 3" newtonian on alt az mount"

"Value $50-"

• GoldSpider likes this

#4 Aydanjessie

Aydanjessie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

Thanks, here's the first image, I'll work on uploading a couple more

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201118_142644 (2).jpg

• The_Vagabond, steve t, mdowns and 3 others like this

#5 Aydanjessie

Aydanjessie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201118_135926-min.jpg

• steve t likes this

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:51 PM

Hello,
I'm new here. My grandpa was given this telescope by a neighbor who didn't want it anymore. Seems to have a lot of bells and whistles, but I can't find any markings on it. Any help identifying it, information about the quality of the telescope and the lenses, and suggestions on cleaning would be greatly appreciated (it's been sitting in his basement for a while). I'm hoping to gift it to my boyfriend for Christmas, so while I'm not planning on selling it, it would also be nice to know a general value.

Make sure you add a pic of the name plate usually on the focuser !

#7 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:51 PM

Any labels on scope?

#8 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

Looks like a Sears re-brand of a Towa (Japan) Model 305 -- 60mm F15 refractor on the EQ-2 mount.

• GoldSpider and Aydanjessie like this

#9 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Messenger

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

Looks like a Sears re-brand of a Towa (Japan) Model 305 -- 60mm F15 refractor on the EQ-2 mount.

That is what it is.  I have the same one, but with a little different finder.  Other than that, it is identical to mine.  Mine is early 70's vintage.  It is a fun scope with which to begin this hobby.

• Aydanjessie likes this

#10 Aydanjessie

Aydanjessie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

Here are some closer pictures of the mechanism. it has 2 different numbered dials and 2 long fine tuning pieces. The only sticker we've found anywhere on it is just a little on that says "passed" on it

Attached Thumbnails

• Resized952020111295150941.jpg
  • Resized_20201112_151001.jpeg

• Bomber Bob and GreyDay like this

#11 randcpoll

randcpoll

Ranger 4

• Loc: New York

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:04 PM

Yep, it's a Sears 60mm f/15. But it looks like someone stuck the barlow in the at the eyepiece end of the finder. lol.gif

#12 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:07 PM

Thanks, here's the first image, I'll work on uploading a couple more

From the looks of it's length, it appears to be a Penncrest (JC Penny). Depending on the year they were labeled either way. They were made by the same Japanese maker (Towa), as some Sears branded scopes but they have a 1000mm f/ instead of a 900mm. Some of them perform very well. Mine had the objective's crown lens mistakening flipped when I bought it. It needs more testing and the mount needs regreasing and adjusting but so far it seems to perform well.

Penncrest-1.jpg

Do you have the storage box?

Penncrest 1000 In Box.jpg

Penncest-focuser.jpg

Does yours have any residue from where a label is usually located? 

There's also a chance it could have been the same scope and branded by another company.

When I get a chance I'll measure mine so you can confirm that it's the same model.

If your's is shorter, it would likely be a Sears.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, GreyDay and 2 others like this

#13 Aydanjessie

Aydanjessie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

From the looks of it's length, it appears to be a Penncrest (JC Penny). Depending on the year they were labeled either way. They were made by the same Japanese maker (Towa), as some Sears branded scopes but they have a 1000mm f/ instead of a 900mm. Some of them perform very well. Mine had the objective's crown lens mistakening flipped when I bought it. It needs more testing and the mount needs regreasing and adjusting but so far it seems to perform well.

attachicon.gifPenncrest-1.jpg

Do you have the storage box?

attachicon.gifPenncrest 1000 In Box.jpg

attachicon.gifPenncest-focuser.jpg

Does yours have any residue from where a label is usually located? 

There's also a chance it could have been the same scope and branded by another company.

When I get a chance I'll measure mine so you can confirm that it's the same model.

If your's is shorter, it would likely be a Sears.

That is what it is.  I have the same one, but with a little different finder.  Other than that, it is identical to mine.  Mine is early 70's vintage.  It is a fun scope with which to begin this hobby.

Thank you so much! I'll measure this one as well.

Yes there is some residue from a sticker near one of the eyepieces.

No, he sadly did not give it to us with a box. Is that something I could find?

To both of you, how did you go about cleaning and fine tuning yours? The metal pieces on mine seem to be quite dirty and the plastic material covering the two long adjusting pieces are in bad shape as you can see in my most recent pictures. Would I be better off to remove this coating? 

I'm just hesitant to start taking thing apart to clean esp. if there is something I really shouldn't mess with.

#14 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:30 PM

Thank you so much! I'll measure this one as well.

To both of you, how did you go about cleaning and fine tuning yours? The metal pieces on mine seem to be quite dirty and the plastic material covering the two long adjusting pieces are in bad shape as you can see in my most recent pictures. Would I be better off to remove this coating? 

I'm just hesitant to start taking thing apart to clean esp. if there is something I really shouldn't mess with.

Here's some approximate lengths from my Penncrest.

If yours measures a little less than 4" of either of these measurements it's likely a 60/900mm Sears.

Penncrest-Length.jpg

Finding an original wood box would be very difficult, and next to impossible if it's longer like a Penncrest.

Yours is likely newer since it has plastic knobs on the mount, so it may have come in a cardboard box. 

Mine never had plastic tube wrapped controls. If they are chrome and in good condition under it,

you might remove it and clean and polish them. 

I use Nevr-Dull and or Blue Magic metal polish for cleaning the chrome on my scopes.

Simple Green and or Awesome for the smooth painted tube and parts or dilluted dish soap like Dawn, sometimes followed by car wax.

Dust and brush the wrinkle black parts the best you can and then wipe with a dampen rag with cleaner. Brush of any left over lint.

Do not clean any lenses unless you know how to properly clean them. Read up on it first.

As far as value. It depends on what it turns out to be, it's condition and completeness.

Either way complete kits (with box) might go for $75 to $200.

IMO, an incomplete scope like yours $50-$75

Edited by Kasmos, 18 November 2020 - 07:35 PM.

• Aydanjessie likes this

#15 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Messenger

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:35 AM

The sticker on my Sears scope is in the same place as shown for the Penncrest scope, so that won't be much help - unless you find the sticker itself.  I suspect the best way to identify it would be to measure how long the tube is - the Sears scope has a FL of 900mm, but the Penncrest appears to have a FL of 1000mm.

How did I go about cleaning and fine-tuning my scope???   HAHAHAHA!!!!  I stuck it in its box 40 years ago and kept packing it with me whenever I moved!  I haven't really had it out and put together in decades.  Mine never had the plastic covering on the flexible adjustment knobs - they are chromed bare 'springs'.  Like Kasmos says, the plastic clamp-knobs are also different than what I've got - mine are small (tiny, actually) metal knobs - they hurt when tightening because they are so small.  Don't know if your plastic clamp-knobs are OE or if they are upgrades.

Again, like Kasmos says, some of these scopes are good, some not so good.  There does seem to be a following.  Many, many people started the hobby with one.

Caution - you should NOT use the sun filter to look at the sun (it may crack while you are looking through it and magnified sunlight could ruin your day) - use the projection screen instead, without any filter.  There is no danger with using the moon filter while viewing the moon.  Also, remove any batteries that may be inside the accessory tray light - leaking batteries will wreck it.

#16 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:15 AM

Congratulations! I used to own the Sears 900mm version of this scope and it was excellent for its class.

#17 Aydanjessie

Aydanjessie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:28 AM

Just measured this morning, it is the Penncrest 1000mm version! Thank you all for your help. If I come across anything else concerning or interesting as I embark on getting it back in shape I'll be sure to share. Now that I know what it is, I've also found a few good discussions on here about it. Thank you again!

Edited by Aydanjessie, 19 November 2020 - 09:28 AM.

• Kasmos and jcruse64 like this

#18 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:56 PM

Just measured this morning, it is the Penncrest 1000mm version! Thank you all for your help. If I come across anything else concerning or interesting as I embark on getting it back in shape I'll be sure to share. Now that I know what it is, I've also found a few good discussions on here about it. Thank you again!

That's very cool. It's much rarer than the 900mm Sears, so IMO it's the one to have. Besides the ones on Cloudy Nights, and the ones I've seen come up for sale in the last few years, I've probably seen no more than 10 total. Whereas there's almost always a Sears for sale somewhere.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics