•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue 102 APO

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:31 PM

Hello refractor fans!

I have a very early SV 102 APO doublet. It has OK-4

LOMO configured glass. I have not seen one like this one before since it is white with black dew shield. It has a lens cover with felt trim instead of a screw on like my TV 102. It had an 8.7 FL. Most I have seen are all white or blue. I wonder if Vic got some heat for making it look like a Televue product and changed it.

Has anyone seen one like this before. It is serial number 0022. It has a FT focuser and no discernable color compared to the TV 102 which has a tiny bit at 200X and above. The views are amazing and seems to punch above it's size .

I'm hoping to see another early one. One I saw with an even earlier number was all white. I am a bit confused.

Thanks for any replies!

Bob Shields

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201118_190919_resized_1.jpg
  • 20201118_190638_resized_1(1).jpg

• jimandlaura26, Scott in NC, stevew and 5 others like this

#2 DocJim

DocJim

Lift Off

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:34 PM

Greetings Bob, we also own a SV-102 with the OK-4 LOMO lens and FT focuser, OTA #50 although our dew-shield is solid white and has a threaded end-cap It is a really incredible performer for a doublet, and as you describe there is no false color or any other aberration that we can discern after nearly two decades of use. We began imaging with this scope using an ST-2000 then an ST-10 and remain pleased even today with the data this telescope produced. No boasting intended here---but to compare--we own a TEC-180FL (#104) and a TEC-160FL (#30) along with a TMB-130SS purchased from Astronomics as were our early cameras, a TV-127is (FT focuser added by TV), plus a wonderful little SV-90T with the carbon fiber OTA and FT focuser. While the larger fluorite scopes are used at Deep Sky West in New Mexico (on ME II or ME mounts) for astro-imaging, and the TV-127is primarily handled by our MyT for local imaging work, the TMB-130SS, the SV-102 and 90T are our visual scopes. These are normally carried on either a G-11 or MI-250 and occasionally by our MX when it is not being used for imaging. The chance to study the planets this year, starting with Jupiter and Saturn followed by my favorite subject of Mars has meant using the TMB and the SV-102 every clear night atop the smaller Paramounts which are easier to use when I am tired. Scott Horstman and BYO built us two observatories, one at a dark sky site with 3 piers and the other in our backyard with room for two scopes. No kidding, it is not an exaggeration that Vic Maris' SV-102 provides views that equal for color and sharpness any of the scopes of similar size we have ever used, and it remains up on a tripod or pier most of the year, and will stay part of our arsenal despite us possessing more top quality refractors than any two people deserve. We wish you clear skies.
Jim and Linda Powell 

• Scott in NC, bulletdodger and rkelley8493 like this

#3 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:52 PM

Hi Bob...

I had one of these Stellarvue doublet apo’s for several years (the all-white variety). It replaced my SV-80/9D achromatic scope. A great performer! Only sold it to one of my fellow club members in order to upgrade to my current SVR-102T triplet apo. It’s still going strong and shortly after I sold it, it wound up on the White House lawn for a night of astronomy with it’s new owner; during President Obama’s administration. You’ve got a great scope.

Here’s’ a picture at a club (NOVAC) observing site for an outreach event, mounted on my Discmounts DM-6 alt-az mount; a great combination. Great memories.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3B314F5C-B53E-4CB1-A0E5-9F832FFDDB69.jpeg

Edited by jimandlaura26, 18 November 2020 - 11:06 PM.

• Scott in NC, MortonH, bulletdodger and 1 other like this

#4 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Mariner 2

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:32 AM

Hi Bob,

Your post brought back memories of the two SV102APOs I have owned and prompted me to look back through my Astromart history to find the photos of the two.  As it turns out, the one that I owned around 2009 was #22, the same one you have now.  That was the first 4-inch true apo that I owned, and I recall it having a beautifully figured objective.  While it is hard to compare scopes that one owns at different times, I think that one would hold up very well against the other 4-inch refractors I have owned, including models from Takahashi, CFF, and APM/LZOS.

While I have tended toward faster triplet refractors more recently, I did pick up another SV102APO a couple of years ago.  That was #19 and had the white dew shield and screw on lens cover.  It was also very nice optically.

Both of these scopes came with the 2-inch Feathertouch focuser, which I always considered a nice touch.  

While these scopes don’t seem to come up on the market very often, IMO they represent a terrific deal for a really high quality optic.  IIRC, the one I got in 2018 was about $1K, a good bit less than other high quality doublets like the FS102 or the TV102.

Regards,

Jeff

• bulletdodger likes this

#5 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for all the valuable information you good people have provided.
Jeff provided a much needed link in the life of this particular telescope. It still looks new almost 20 years later thanks to the careful stewardship of it's previous owners.
You have confirmed to me that this scope might have been a one off or an experiment by Vic. I know from time to time he would build telescopes out of extra parts and put them up for sale. He sure did not scrimp on it, though, since it is the best glass I own at this time.
Even though the light gathering ability is virtually the same as any 4 inch, I can tease detail out of the Moon and planets better than my TV 102. I believe this to be a product of finer polishing and the mating of the doublet lens. The TV 102 is excellent as well and I plan to perform a comparison between the two with a few independent observers.

Thanks again as the mystery deepens!
  • jimandlaura26, Scott in NC and paul m schofield like this

#6 skygazer66WA

skygazer66WA

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:58 AM

I purchased my SV102-Apo, SN# 44, in 2004, and like SN# 50 in post 2, and the scope pictured in post #3, it has a white dew shield and screw-on lens cover. The LOMO F8.7 lens is well-corrected and gives nice sharp views of the moon, planets, double stars, and open clusters. It does well (for a 4-inch) with brighter globulars (eg. M4, 5, 13, 22) and galaxies (M31, 51, 81-82, 83) thanks to its good contrast. Nebulae such as M42-43, 8-20, 16, 17 look wonderful. The 2" Starlight focuser the scope came with is superb.

I may be more sensitive than some folks to false color, as I do notice a faint purple halo around Jupiter, Saturn, and bright stars such as Vega, but it is not significant and doesn't detract from the great views. 

The only issues I've had is with the dew shield which won't always stay fully extended when the scope is pointed at a high altitude near the zenith. SV suggested adding more felt strips to the front of the tube underneath the dew shield, which I did but it didn't help much, so I use a rubber band to prevent it from sliding back. Also the scope is nose-heavy for a doublet, it seems that the lens cell is made of lead, lol. It has to be "choked up" way towards the front in order to balance properly on a TV Gibraltar mount (I know the scope deserves a heavier-duty mount but I want to keep it reasonably portable). 

Overall I'm very satisfied with the SV102-Apo, but someday I may opt for a lighter 4" scope such as a Takahashi 100DC or DF.

#7 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for your post, Sir. You have added some more needed info. I assumed most used a FT focuser but apparently Vic used a range of focusers. Also my dew shield is fixed and does not move at all unlike what others have reported.
I have the same sliding dew shield issue with my AT1010, Nighthawk serial number #10. Glass is fantastic but shows some false color like my Pronto.
I hope to hear from more folks like yourself that have early examples to chart the changes over the years. LOMO and LZOS
OK-4 is pretty well color corrected but I appreciate your ability to detect false color. Me, not so much.

#8 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the valuable information you good people have provided.
Jeff provided a much needed link in the life of this particular telescope. It still looks new almost 20 years later thanks to the careful stewardship of it's previous owners.
You have confirmed to me that this scope might have been a one off or an experiment by Vic. I know from time to time he would build telescopes out of extra parts and put them up for sale. He sure did not scrimp on it, though, since it is the best glass I own at this time.
Even though the light gathering ability is virtually the same as any 4 inch, I can tease detail out of the Moon and planets better than my TV 102. I believe this to be a product of finer polishing and the mating of the doublet lens. The TV 102 is excellent as well and I plan to perform a comparison between the two with a few independent observers.

Thanks again as the mystery deepens!

There used to be good discussions on the now defunct Yahoo SV Group, including a file (i.e., Stellarvue Refractor List) that was regularly updated by one of the members to keep track of evolving SV scopes. I just dug up a JAN 2010 screen shot of one Vic's posts on this group discussing such information, which was pertinent to my SV-102A pictured earlier...

--- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "stellarvue1" <vic@...> wrote:
>
> All SV102's that are not the old achromat or the SV102ED or SV102ED2 are made
using Lomo polished ED lenses using LZOS OK4 glass. Of these, the SV102ABV and
SV102V were made with a Lanthanum secondary.
>
> The problem with any list is the changing nature of the glass and telescope
industry. Suppliers and fabricators come and go. Certain telescopes get replaced
over time as glass cost of one element increases while another decreases. A
special glass, fabicated with extreme performance and purchased at high expense
is made available at pennies on the dollar and it outperforms commercial glass.
This is made into a new design but quantities are limited. Old master opticians
and lens designers in their seventies retire. New telescopes made with a
specific design work perfectly, but are replaced with something that is equal in
performance but less expensive. People change what they desire (NHNG dual tubes
decline in popularity as more people prefer new carbon fiber tubes that are 50%
lighter) What remains consistent is our standard. That is really what matters.
>
> So the changing nature of our line reflects the changing desires of our
customers, the changing nature or the players and opportunities that arise. One
advantage of Stellarvue is the ability for us to change directions on a dime. We
are not selling dated telescopes models that are 20 years old at too high a
price. We are selling consistently high quality telescopes with all of the
latest features for less money. It is hard work but it is the reason we are
doing so well.
>
> And it also keeps Scott on his toes. ;-)
>
> Vic Maris

#9 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:39 PM

Pertaining to my last post here, I just dug up an informal Stellarvue Refractor List complied by a customer and SV Yahoo group member, ca 2010. Hope you and others might find it useful. I do not recall the author's name or I would extend credit.

Jim

Attached Files

Edited by jimandlaura26, 20 November 2020 - 07:40 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

Pertaining to my last post here, I just dug up an informal Stellarvue Refractor List complied by a customer and SV Yahoo group member, ca 2010. Hope you and others might find it useful. I do not recall the author's name or I would extend credit.

Jim

Thanks so much for finding that, Jim!  I was the creator of that list, but eventually moved on to other things and ran out of time and energy to keep updating it.  Wow, I can’t believe that was 10 years ago!  Time really flies, doesn’t it?

#11 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:25 PM

Thanks so much for finding that, Jim!  I was the creator of that list, but eventually moved on to other things and ran out of time and energy to keep updating it.  Wow, I can’t believe that was 10 years ago!  Time really flies, doesn’t it?

Well now that solves the mystery of which “Scott” Vic was referring to in his post then! Thanks for that list, now a part of SV refractor history.

• Scott in NC likes this

#12 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:51 AM

WOW!

Jim and Scott, Thank You so much for efforts in creating and finding this very valuable resource. I can't imagine how much important history might be lost with the loss of Yahoo groups. Thanks for rescuing and perpetuating the SV list!

We are all custodians of telescope knowledge and lore and many thanks to the kind folks so willing to share their unique experiences. Kind of nice to know we will live on in threads and posts for future reference.

Many, many Thanks !!

Edited by bulletdodger, 21 November 2020 - 10:51 AM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#13 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:49 AM

Jim, did you just happen to have that file saved on your computer, or is it still available somewhere on the internet?  Unfortunately I don’t think anything formerly archived on the SV Yahoo Group site is accessible any longer, especially files that were accessible to members only.  I’ll have to check to see if I can find a more recent update of that file on my laptop, but it’s entirely possible that 2010 was the last year that I updated it.

#14 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:05 PM

Jim, did you just happen to have that file saved on your computer, or is it still available somewhere on the internet?  Unfortunately I don’t think anything formerly archived on the SV Yahoo Group site is accessible any longer, especially files that were accessible to members only.  I’ll have to check to see if I can find a more recent update of that file on my laptop, but it’s entirely possible that 2010 was the last year that I updated it.

I saved it on my computer. I have it in both Word and pdf format. I believe the original Word file was dated in OCT 2010. Let me know if you would like your Word file.

Edited by jimandlaura26, 21 November 2020 - 12:30 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#15 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the offer, Jim, but I just found something even better on my laptop, the last version that I updated, from October 2014.  I'll attach it here in Word format so that if my computer crashes and I lose the file, it will still be archived here on CN.

Attached File  Stellarvue_Refractor_List_(updated_2014-10-17).doc   39.5KB   18 downloads

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics