•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Other than a TAK TOA130nfb what would be next?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 magsterone

magsterone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mobile, AL

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:50 PM

The moonlite is good but somewhere in the optical train is a slight issue that after working on the dovetail and wiring has reduced it significantly.  

#27 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:05 PM

It hardly seems fair blame a scope maker for a cable drag issue or a dovetail issue. To me that seems like it's up to you to get right. 

#28 magsterone

magsterone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:36 AM

I agree and I have resolved it the best that I can. I intend to keep the scope but when I first posted I was unaware of the issue. I do believe a larger focuser, such as a 4” focuser would provide more stiffness and I have reached out to others who have stated that moving to the 4” did provide that. The purpose of the topic was info on refractors. I was glad I resolved issues but if a used tak or other comparable refractor comes up I may buy it and sell my current scope. Be safe and have a great holiday season.

#29 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:13 AM

I agree and I have resolved it the best that I can. I intend to keep the scope but when I first posted I was unaware of the issue. I do believe a larger focuser, such as a 4” focuser would provide more stiffness and I have reached out to others who have stated that moving to the 4” did provide that. The purpose of the topic was info on refractors. I was glad I resolved issues but if a used tak or other comparable refractor comes up I may buy it and sell my current scope. Be safe and have a great holiday season.

IDK, you have the budget and the mount. IMO it is very difficult to do better than a new TOA130 for imaging and visual work from one tube. But based on what many have said the NFB may not be the best focuser option. With the $700 head start buying an NS gives, you will be 80% there for 3.5" FTF which will not vignette, sag or creep even with a 35mn full frame sensor astro cam. 

#30 magsterone

magsterone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:20 AM

So you suggest buying the ftf and replacing the stock focuser?  The ftf with adapter is about $1k right?

#31 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:27 PM

There are several Feathertouch models. You might want to consider one of

FTF3035 $ 600 + adapter

FTF3235 $ 720 + adapter

FTF3545  $ 885 + adapter

Each of these is capable of carrying an imaging load. I have a 3035 and 3545 on my APM115 & TOA150 respectively.

Another possibility is the Moonlite CXL which is in the same league as the FTF3545. These are custom made so you'd need to call Ron to discuss.

#32 edif300

edif300

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Basque Country

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:12 PM

So you suggest buying the ftf and replacing the stock focuser? The ftf with adapter is about $1k right?

Replacing the NFB focuser is a nonsense and a wasted budget. The stock focuser holds 5kg payload with my imaging gear.

#33 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:32 PM

So you suggest buying the ftf and replacing the stock focuser?  The ftf with adapter is about $1k right?

Yes. 

That said you're taking about $7,300-$7,500 all in before accessories. If you are really going to use it for imaging as several others have mentioned there are other options in this price range. I am a big fan of the LZOS/APM 130mm f/6 optics with the CNC - 3.5" FTF R&P, APM also has a version with the 3.7" focuser which is what on the bespoke Parallax/AT130 f/6 apo. LZOS optics are as good or better and the 130mm f/6 optics are spectacular and offer many more options for imaging AND APM has done the math and can supply reducers and flatteners for full frame astro cams that should be virtually perfect out of the box with minimal adjustment. I'm just saying there may be better options if you are really going to use the scope for imaging most of the time. And don't forget the fantastic Starizona 0.65X reducer flatteners as an option for more FOV. 

#34 Deadlake

Deadlake

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

Yes. 

That said you're taking about $7,300-$7,500 all in before accessories. If you are really going to use it for imaging as several others have mentioned there are other options in this price range. I am a big fan of the LZOS/APM 130mm f/6 optics with the CNC - 3.5" FTF R&P, APM also has a version with the 3.7" focuser which is what on the bespoke Parallax/AT130 f/6 apo. LZOS optics are as good or better and the 130mm f/6 optics are spectacular and offer many more options for imaging AND APM has done the math and can supply reducers and flatteners for full frame astro cams that should be virtually perfect out of the box with minimal adjustment. I'm just saying there may be better options if you are really going to use the scope for imaging most of the time. And don't forget the fantastic Starizona 0.65X reducer flatteners as an option for more FOV. 

I was considering the TOA-130, however after the base cost, I'd want to replace the focuser and the extra cool down time compared with wither the AP130GTX or APM 130/F6 its hard to justify it. One thing about the APM/LZOS if you go for the MkII which comes with a starlight focuser and a phenolic tube, the tube builder APM original used has moved on, the new tube builder does not fit any flocking inside the tube. Astrograph has a new build with the flocking (LZOS optics, starlight focusers, phenolic tube) that I'm waiting for before making a decision. I think for a scope which can be used for imaging and visual and is available hard to beat the LZOS model. I'm sure the TOA is good, but its at least $2000 dollars more once a replacment focuser and reducer/flattener is purchased.

Edited by Deadlake, 28 November 2020 - 01:32 PM.

#35 magsterone

magsterone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:31 PM

I will just keep an eye out for used ones and go from there. I spent the money on the mount so that I would have flexibility with the ota. I will just keep checking classifieds until I see an ota that I really want and then I will sell my other ota.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics