•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EVOSTAR 150 ED club

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#26 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:56 AM

In my case i sure SHOULD have bought the Camaro before i did my 2019 C7 that was a hunk of junk and slow.  My 2021 Camaro is 10 times faster than my C7 was and has the same engine.  Just that it has the 10 speed auto that works like it should.

So in my case with scopes i have a cut off on price and see no need to pay crazy money for a scope when a cheaper one will give near the same view.   I could never make myself pay for AP scopes and after owning over 250 scopes i have never spent more than 6k for any refactor and that was a messed up Meade 7" ED.  I just can't pay what peeps want for a used AP or 6" Tak prices.

Kinda like buying a old school 8" slow Newt for around $400 that will do just as good or near good as a 7" APO that cost 25k or up.

Corvette versus Camaro…
Well, of course, a 2021 C8 Corvette (0 to 60 in under 3 seconds) with the 10-speed would best the 2021 Camaro SS (0 to 60 in 4 seconds flat). It will of course cost more. 

Near the same view…
I understand everyone has budget limitations but some place ultimate performance as a top priority over price. Everyone uses the term “near the same view”. Many do not want “near the same” they want “better or the best”, just as many covet that extra one second faster to 60 mph.

Newtonian value proposition…
Newtonians are always the best value per-inch of aperture but that applies to the Evostar 150 as well. 

If cost is "really a concern"…
If cost is “really a concern” then get an 8-10 inch Newtonian rather than spend on the Evostar 150. If cost is “not a concern” then get a higher quality refractor. If you want what a refactor offers (over an SCT or Newtonian) and have a limited budget, that is where the Evostar 150 would be a consideration, but the Evostar 150 is not the best value telescope or the highest quality refractor.

Bob

#27 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:05 AM

Corvette versus Camaro…
Well, of course, a 2021 C8 Corvette (0 to 60 in under 3 seconds) with the 10-speed would best the 2021 Camaro SS (0 to 60 in 4 seconds flat). It will of course cost more. 

Near the same view…
I understand everyone has budget limitations but some place ultimate performance as a top priority over price. Everyone uses the term “near the same view”. Many do not want “near the same” they want “better or the best”, just as many covet that extra one second faster to 60 mph.

Newtonians are always the best value per-inch of aperture but that applies to the Evostar 150 as well. 

If cost is “really a concern” then get an 8-10 inch Newtonian rather than spend on the Evostar 150. If cost is “not a concern” then get a higher quality refractor. If you want what a refactor offers (over an SCT or Newtonian) and have a limited budget, that is where the Evostar 150 would be a consideration, but the Evostar 150 is not the best value telescope or the highest quality refractor.

Bob

I would say the SW150ED at the time i bought it at under $2k was the best bang for the buck for a 6" Refractor.  No way i could touch a used 6" AP for that price or a Tak FS152.

It got me within 90% of what a used 6" AP would have at many times the price. I have had so many scopes i don't notice enough to make it worth while to spend 5 to 10 times as much for the same size scope.

• Rollo and Brent Campbell like this

#28 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 December 2020 - 10:59 AM

I would say the SW150ED at the time i bought it at under $2k was the best bang for the buck for a 6" Refractor.  No way i could touch a used 6" AP for that price or a Tak FS152.

It got me within 90% of what a used 6" AP would have at many times the price. I have had so many scopes i don't notice enough to make it worth while to spend 5 to 10 times as much for the same size scope.

For “you” the Evostar 150 might be the best bang for the buck, because you are content with less performance for less cost. But for others that value perfect color correction and better polish and better performance, a Tak TOA would be the best bang for the buck, even though is costs more.

There’s no right or wrong it just depends on what one values more.

Bob

• Kunama likes this

#29 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:31 PM

After Covid settles Ill bother my buddy Dave and see if he would DPAC it

Actually, I thought someone had posted a green light DPAC image of one, maybe Chas's sample.  It looked very good to me with a nice edge.  If the person who did that images is looking, please repost it.

Jeff

#30 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: pa 19320

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:22 PM

Corvette versus Camaro…

Near the same view…

Bob

My curiosity has gotten the best of me so I shall ask, have you done any meaningful observing with one? Im not talking about just a peek through one. I have observed with this telescope as well and in my humble opinion, regardless of $$, its a wonderful, pleasing observing tool. When im finished observing  with it for the night I feel very much satisfied, and the name of the game. Been doing this stuff for 40 years and to me it is a high quality Refractor, to my humble eyes.

Edited by bob midiri, 25 December 2020 - 08:38 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Rollo, RAKing and 1 other like this

#31 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:50 PM

The big thing I'd say you'd want to pick the huge money Tak/AP option over this for would be AP. The false color on my Skywatcher 150ED is pretty mild and unobtrusive, and it doesn't eat enough planetary detail to be worth worrying about, but I think it would be a problem photographically.

But then again, if you can afford the kind of crazypants huge mount you'd need to support a 6" refractor photographically, the Tak/AP probably doesn't sound so bad.

#32 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:18 PM

Actually, I thought someone had posted a green light DPAC image of one, maybe Chas's sample. It looked very good to me with a nice edge. If the person who did that images is looking, please repost it.

Jeff

I think CN member scooke had one with DPAC pics before selling it.

#33 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:15 AM

My curiosity has gotten the best of me so I shall ask, have you done any meaningful observing with one? 

No. And I’ve never driven a C8 Corvette either but I don’t need to actually drive a C8 Corvette in order to know that it has better performance and is faster than a Camaro SS; the price and the specs and the performance numbers and the demographic the manufacturer is targeting, etc. tell you all you need to know. Now, whether one personally “likes” the Corvette is another matter and that would require a test drive. But you don’t need to actually test-drive the Corvette to know it will be faster than the Camaro SS.

I’m sure the Evostar 150 is a “wonderful” observing tool just like the Camaro SS is a “wonderful” sports car (both will put smiles on the faces of their owners) but that wonderfulness doesn’t make the Camaro SS a C8 Corvette.

Bob

#34 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:20 AM

No. And I’ve never driven a C8 Corvette either but I don’t need to actually drive a C8 Corvette in order to know that it has better performance and is faster than a Camaro SS; the price and the specs and the performance numbers and the demographic the manufacturer is targeting, etc. tell you all you need to know. Now, whether one personally “likes” the Corvette is another matter and that would require a test drive. But you don’t need to actually test-drive the Corvette to know it will be faster than the Camaro SS.

I’m sure the Evostar 150 is a “wonderful” observing tool just like the Camaro SS is a “wonderful” sports car (both will put smiles on the faces of their owners) but that wonderfulness doesn’t make the Camaro SS a C8 Corvette.

Bob

Im not trying to make the Evostar a Tak, or a Tec nor do I need too, but for some of us we dont need corvettes to get us places  the camaro will do just fine. The wonderful  thing is we have choices today that we didnt have 10 years ago, and we all have the ability to find that special scope that suits our special needs. If you have a caviar appetite of course plain jam wont satisfy your palate. The Evostar is my jam. 

• Bomber Bob, wrvond and 25585 like this

#35 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:21 PM

Aw, the 150ED is still caviar! It's just sensible caviar that normal people can afford to buy for special occasions. Not the ridiculous stuff that sells for thousands per can. Jam would be a dobsonian or something.
  • bob midiri and ATM57 like this

#36 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 December 2020 - 01:50 PM

Aw, the 150ED is still caviar! It's just sensible caviar that normal people can afford to buy for special occasions. Not the ridiculous stuff that sells for thousands per can. Jam would be a dobsonian or something.

I agree. For visual. The Sky & Telescope review should be taken seriously. Dennis di Cicco is not an idiot.

Edited by Heywood, 26 December 2020 - 01:51 PM.

• bob midiri, George N, eros312 and 1 other like this

#37 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:46 PM

I have both LOL, guess im a Heinz 57 kinda guy then!

#38 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 December 2020 - 02:56 PM

Normal people do not spend $4,000 for a telescope ($2,500 for a OTA and another $1,500 for a mount) they spend $500 to $1,000.

The Evostar 150 might not be caviar in the refractor world but it is caviar-priced when other 6” telescope designs are considered.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 26 December 2020 - 02:57 PM.

#39 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:59 PM

Your consideration of what "normal people" can afford is coloured by your circumstances and definition of normal.  There are people who would consider buying a TAK as normal, others regard it as insane.  This sort of argument has been going in here for years and years, and generally is pointless. If you happy with your scope that is all that matters. 

• bob midiri, JKAstro, Crow Haven and 4 others like this

#40 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:14 PM

Details of the analogy are not so important.

The 150ED is a premium telescope. It just isn't the highest premium available, that's all.

• Heywood and Crow Haven like this

#41 John Huntley

John Huntley

Gemini

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

The 150ED is a premium scope compared with the 150 F/8 achromat in the same way that the ED120 is a significant step up from the 120mm F/8.3 achromat.

Before it's release I think we were all hoping for a 150mm version of the ED120 doublet and that's just what we have got now that a few very early teething issues have been sorted out.

• Jacques, bob midiri, Rollo and 2 others like this

#42 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:17 AM

Yes John im with you, we got our dream to come true. I remember  20 yrs ago how excited I was when the CR150 f8 achro came out, now these ED 150's are here, im just in Heaven.

• tog, John Huntley, Illinois and 1 other like this

#43 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:39 AM

Yes John im with you, we got our dream to come true. I remember  20 yrs ago how excited I was when the CR150 f8 achro came out, now these ED 150's are here, im just in Heaven.

Now with the SW150 ED there is no need to pay some one double what they paid for a 6" AP that sometimes cost as much as 17k for a OTA.  Same for a FS152 that goes for around 6k used. I could never bring myself to pay prices like that. I mean sure i can pay the price and just resell it i guess. 

• Crow Haven likes this

#44 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:48 AM

have you done any meaningful observing with one? Im not talking about just a peek through one. 

I was reading through the forums this morning and this comment really hit home with me in a very meaningful way, not just for this thread, but for many. It's understandable for an observer to want color free images, but to write scopes off because they exhibit some false color is one of the number one mistakes I see so many making lately because that's all they're looking for. This is what Thomas Back understood so well that has sadly gotten lost in some remote corner of the cosmos. If others are not using the telescope in other meaningful ways, then they are not getting the full story of the quality of the optics.

• bob midiri, tog, John Huntley and 10 others like this

#45 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 27 December 2020 - 11:07 AM

I was reading through the forums this morning and this comment really hit home with me in a very meaningful way, not just for this thread, but for many. It's understandable for an observer to want color free images, but to write scopes off because they exhibit some false color is one of the number one mistakes I see so many making lately because that's all they're looking for. This is what Thomas Back understood so well that has sadly gotten lost in some remote corner of the cosmos. If others are not using the telescope in other meaningful ways, then they are not getting the full story of the quality of the optics.

AMEN !

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#46 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 27 December 2020 - 11:54 AM

Another perspective on this... I hooked up my F/6.5 achromat and pointed it at the Moon last night, just because I hadn't used it in a while. Even at a low power, I could see a violet outline. Despite this, I actually thought the Moon looked great in it, and I compared it with my MCT too. If anything, the violet just made the view more interesting. I'm starting to wonder if the colorful view is one of the reasons some people prefer refractors and they just don't realize it grin.gif Maybe that's going too far, but turning up your nose at an Evostar 150ED seems a little spoiled to me.

• Heywood likes this

#47 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:00 PM

I could not live with the color on my CR'6s.

#48 Gofr

Gofr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 27 December 2020 - 01:05 PM

Agreed. I feel CA is made out to be such a bogey man sometimes (same with COs in cats) that sometimes their negative impacts in scopes that have it more well controlled are so negligible that a lot of folks forget you can still get some amazing views even when you have just some slight CA or a bigger CO in the system. In terms of refractors, if one is really only chasing 100% colour free views, then one is using the wrong scope type, because for that, one needs to start using mirrors. I don't care how low dispersion your glass is, it still disperses, if even insignificantly....unless you're takahashi with a long focal length 60mm ED scope, then maybe you can finally be 100% colour free on a refractor.

Edited by Gofr, 27 December 2020 - 01:08 PM.

• treadmarks likes this

#49 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 27 December 2020 - 02:08 PM

My direct experience is that a bit of color at the visual extremes does not mean you will get soft, unsharp views.  If you do, you have real issues with the optic other than longitudinal color correction. 

I've said this before, some of my old, pre-ED triplets are extremely sharp scopes....and no ED glass in sight  The typical violet/blue error is very well managed, being visible as a faint blue/violet border/glow on Vega, Sirius, Venus and maybe some brightly lit crater rims on the moon...with perhaps a slight yellow tint to stellar airy disks at high power and Jupiter.   But VERY sharp at focus.

Shoot, even a well made achromat can give very sharp views despite the "purple haze".  

For visual use, to me, getting hung up on a small bit of color error at the ends of the visual spectrum is similar to getting hung up on central obstruction size.  

Focus (HAH!) on the figure of the optic instead, is my advice.

Jeff

• Daniel Mounsey, Astrojensen, salico and 1 other like this

#50 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 27 December 2020 - 02:32 PM

I just wonder how many refractors have been sent back, because the observer saw atmospheric dispersion on the Moon or a planet and mistook it for false color in the objective? With a 6" refractor, this is visible surprisingly high in the sky and much more pronounced than in, say, even a 4".  

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Daniel Mounsey, John Huntley, Jeff B and 9 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics