•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EVOSTAR 150 ED club

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#51 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 27 December 2020 - 04:16 PM

I was reading through the forums this morning and this comment really hit home with me in a very meaningful way, not just for this thread, but for many. It's understandable for an observer to want color free images, but to write scopes off because they exhibit some false color is one of the number one mistakes I see so many making lately because that's all they're looking for. This is what Thomas Back understood so well that has sadly gotten lost in some remote corner of the cosmos. If others are not using the telescope in other meaningful ways, then they are not getting the full story of the quality of the optics.

I used an Orion 120 mm f8.3 for years (still like this scope!). I remember some great nights and views I've had with this scope, but I can't remember the CA in those views. 

• Daniel Mounsey and Heywood like this

#52 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:41 PM

I just wonder how many refractors have been sent back, because the observer saw atmospheric dispersion on the Moon or a planet and mistook it for false color in the objective? With a 6" refractor, this is visible surprisingly high in the sky and much more pronounced than in, say, even a 4".  

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thomas, I completely agree. I’ve seen it happen so many times to countless beginners, particularly on the moon as you well know. Btw, you’ve set some great posts on spherical correction that would enlighten many. We need more Astrojensen’s in these forums. waytogo.gif  

• stevew and Astrojensen like this

#53 MANC

MANC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:38 PM

Hy everyone

I'm new to CN - so if this post is in the wrong place, please let me know. Thanks

I do own the 150ED with the stock focuser, i. e. the simple, non-rotating, dual-speed Crayford focuser, unfortunately well known for slipping /shifting issues. 

Any recommendations as to focusers (exact model name and link most appreciated)? Does the scope still fit into the case (or is it too long)? Any side effects, particularly need for accessories?

Some cotext:

Use: Astrophotography. 

Payload: Currently, I use a Canon 7DII DSLR (incl. battery grip); going forward, I may change to a ZWO ASI or similar (probably 071MC PRO or something fancier, newer and more expensive), in the color version, thus no filterwheel. 

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards from the Swiss Alps, 

Chris

Edited by MANC, 28 December 2020 - 04:42 PM.

#54 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:41 PM

Hy everyone

I'm new to CN - so if this post is in the wrong place, please let me know. Thanks

I do own the 150ED with the stock focuser, i. e. the simple, non-rotating, dual-speed Crayford focuser, unfortunately well known for slipping /shifting issues. 

Any recommendations as to focusers (exact model name and link most appreciated)? Does the scope still fit into the case (or is it too long)? Any side effects, particularly need for accessories? It would be appreciated to have the exact model names /descriptions and if possible links. 

As to the payload: Currently, I use a Canon 7DII (incl. battery grip); going forward, I may change to a ZWO ASI or similar (probably 071MC PRO or something fancier, newer and more expensive), but in the color version, thus no filterwheel. 

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards from the Swiss Alps, 

Chris

Contact AOK Swiss, they can help you. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#55 MANC

MANC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:47 PM

Thank you, Thomas!

#56 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:47 AM

I was reading through the forums this morning and this comment really hit home with me in a very meaningful way, not just for this thread, but for many. It's understandable for an observer to want color free images, but to write scopes off because they exhibit some false color is one of the number one mistakes I see so many making lately because that's all they're looking for. This is what Thomas Back understood so well that has sadly gotten lost in some remote corner of the cosmos. If others are not using the telescope in other meaningful ways, then they are not getting the full story of the quality of the optics.

+1.  Our club has in its observatory one of the 1980s pre-Starfire 6" f/8 AP triplets with the NASA glass.  It does exhibit some false color, but that lens figure...it's an AP refractor.

While I was imaging with my AT115EDT this fall, I looked through the 6" f/8 AP for visual.  I had the best view I'd EVER had of Mars.  I mean, it's not even close.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• Daniel Mounsey, bob midiri, George N and 3 others like this

#57 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: pa 19320

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:18 PM

+1.  Our club has in its observatory one of the 1980s pre-Starfire 6" f/8 AP triplets with the NASA glass.  It does exhibit some false color, but that lens figure...it's an AP refractor.

While I was imaging with my AT115EDT this fall, I looked through the 6" f/8 AP for visual.  I had the best view I'd EVER had of Mars.  I mean, it's not even close.

Clear Skies,

Phil

The standard of excellence!!

• Daniel Mounsey, Phillip Creed, Rollo and 1 other like this

#58 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:26 PM

A little color never did bother me. But yikes on the moon with my two CR6's as it was awash in purple blue.  It did great on deep sky and was close to my two 6" ED scopes with normal deep sky viewing.  Best lens i ever had was a TMB 105/650 with just pure true colors anyone could wish for.  Next up were all my Taks. All 100x per inch scopes on some objects.

My SM150ED did 450x fine on my better nites with Jupiter.

• Rollo likes this

#59 Rollo

Rollo

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:00 AM

A little color never did bother me. But yikes on the moon with my two CR6's as it was awash in purple blue.  It did great on deep sky and was close to my two 6" ED scopes with normal deep sky viewing.  Best lens i ever had was a TMB 105/650 with just pure true colors anyone could wish for.  Next up were all my Taks. All 100x per inch scopes on some objects.

What scopes are you using now Chuck ?   Did you sell everything ?

#60 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:29 AM

Agree about the color. A touch of CA is fine. However if you are starting with some slight CA that is inherent in the design and then add some slight astigmatism and then add some slight SA and then add some slight roughness things start to go downhill. Since aberrations are “cumulative” the lens must be superb in all other areas eliminating any other aberrations.

Also agree about the 105/650 with the LZOS lens. A great lens, as is the LZOS 100 F8.

Also agree about the Taks with the caveat that I presume you are you are talking about the FS Taks that you owned. The TSA and TOA Taks are equal to or “better” than anything out there.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 30 December 2020 - 11:27 AM.

#61 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:18 AM

Folks I started this thread to find out about the Evostar 150 ED, your thoughts and experiences on its use. But like so many threads on CN, the post gets off topic and goes to which scope is better thread. If I posted on a group that I would like to hear about your thoughts and experiences you had vacationing at the Jersey shore AND then get a significant amount of replies of how great the beaches are in Oahu, well its like comparing apples to mango!! I know how great the beaches are in Oahu, if I could afford to go there I wouldn't be asking about the Jersey shore? Here is my original post below please let us get back to experiences with this scope  thankyou. 

Good day!! I have owned my Evostar DX 150 ED for several months now and to me it has exceeded my expectations. Its the perfect size and weight for my CGEM mount and for my back and shoulders. The optics are quite sharp and color free to my eyes, the scope is attractive and functions to my liking.  It is now one of my most used telescopes since its ready for observing in a short time frame. Planets and DSO are a joy. I do think I need to adjust the focuser for smoothness but other then that I am a very happy camper owning this OTA. I would like to hear about others who have this telescope and your thoughts on its performance. Thanks in advance Bob

Edited by bob midiri, 30 December 2020 - 09:19 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, tog, John Huntley and 5 others like this

#62 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:37 AM

Folks I started this thread to find out about the Evostar 150 ED, your thoughts and experiences on its use. But like so many threads on CN, the post gets off topic and goes to which scope is better thread. If I posted on a group that I would like to hear about your thoughts and experiences you had vacationing at the Jersey shore AND then get a significant amount of replies of how great the beaches are in Oahu, well its like comparing apples to mango!! I know how great the beaches are in Oahu, if I could afford to go there I wouldn't be asking about the Jersey shore? Here is my original post below please let us get back to experiences with this scope  thankyou. 

Good day!! I have owned my Evostar DX 150 ED for several months now and to me it has exceeded my expectations. Its the perfect size and weight for my CGEM mount and for my back and shoulders. The optics are quite sharp and color free to my eyes, the scope is attractive and functions to my liking.  It is now one of my most used telescopes since its ready for observing in a short time frame. Planets and DSO are a joy. I do think I need to adjust the focuser for smoothness but other then that I am a very happy camper owning this OTA. I would like to hear about others who have this telescope and your thoughts on its performance. Thanks in advance Bob

Well stated. Sadly the newest generation of refractor enthusiasts have become consumed by even the most trifling amounts of color in damaging ways. History has easily proven what has been achieved through careful observation and sketching, but today there's just so much marketing hype, stats, strehls, color curves, etc. I'm not saying it's not important or that it doesn't have its place in the right context. I'm merely stating that it's being abused by too many newbies who have little to no experience to be that overly analytical, not to mention that much of it is not what happens in reality. If I could blind test some of those individuals, most would fail the tests miserably. One doesn't learn to drive a formula one car by just hopping into the seat.

I have seen the most surprising results from the most unexpected situations and Bob, you are a wonderful contributer to CN and I've enjoyed your posts and the experiences you've shared. For the record, Derek Wong acquired a 1920's 6" Ziess refractor and at its long focal ratio but the images of the solar system through are up with the best I've ever seen to date, really. It has some very trifling color, but the entire lens figure and harmony of how they work together on the solar system are burned into my soul. No, it doesn't have fpl53 and there's nothing wrong with fpl53. What's wrong with it is the abuse and lack of wisdom with it. I wish the newer generation would pay more respect and attention to history from some of the greatest observers ever. Today there's just too much data to absorb and not enough hands-on time in the field to know the truth of it all. 

• bob midiri, Jeff B, Astrojensen and 5 others like this

#63 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:02 PM

I think the source of the chromatic aberration phobia people have now is two things:

1. A lot of these guys are purely photographic at this point, so they're really just comparing the points on astrographs.

2. They're perfectionists, and the problem with the little purple halo isn't that you lose some detail to it, it's that it represents an imperfection. Can't have that!

Anyways, if you're in either of these groups, this is probably not the telescope for you. You go ahead and spend that 10k for a Tak or get in your time machine and buy an AP. Ah, who am I kidding, you already did.

• bob midiri, Astrojensen, ATM57 and 1 other like this

#64 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:03 PM

What scopes are you using now Chuck ?   Did you sell everything ?

Every last bolt just about. I found some stuff i had hid and forgot about. Someone gave me a Orion 90mm ALT- AZ and i bought a ST80 from Rolo.  Just trying to get a real diagonal and some eyepieces and nothing is in stock.  But i don't plan to go back to mindless buying ever again.  If something comes up local and cheap will ya never know.  Now i have a scope for a fast peek at a planet and a fast sweep at low power.

If my house were setup to roll out a nice 7" ED the story would change.

• Rollo likes this

#65 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

Agree about the color. A touch of CA is fine. However if you are starting with some slight CA that is inherent in the design and then add some slight astigmatism and then add some slight SA and then add some slight roughness things start to go downhill. Since aberrations are “cumulative” the lens must be superb in all other areas eliminating any other aberrations.

Also agree about the 105/650 with the LZOS lens. A great lens, as is the LZOS 100 F8.

Also agree about the Taks with the caveat that I presume you are you are talking about the FS Taks that you owned. The TSA and TOA Taks are equal to or “better” than anything out there.

Bob

All FS Taks.  Two FS78's two FS120's and one FS128.  I tell ya the FS78's were the best of the bunch. Just flat out killers at crazy powers.  Never got a FS152.  I never went past a price point when it came to scopes. Spent $6k for a Meade 7" ED that was a total dud.  Really a let down to have a 7" ED and only get 2 secs at the eyepiece and know it was going back to Meade time after time. It went back 3 times with me and one time before me and even after me.  Not even Meade knew at the time in 1999 what to do.  The SW150ED was 10 times better and cheaper when i bought it for under $2k.

#66 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

I have to rate it at the best bang for the buck scope when i bought mine.  Nothing like it came close at the prices they are going for even 20 years ago.  I was more than a happy pappy with mine.

Edited by CHASLX200, 30 December 2020 - 07:13 PM.

#67 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:42 PM

On page 35 of the Feb. 2021 edition of Sky & Telescope, Dennis di Cicco writes about the SW Evostar 150ED:  "It is a very fine instrument for serious visual observers and delivers everything I expect from a 150-mm-aperture telescope."  He writes further: "If owning a high-quality, large-aperture refractor is on your bucket list, I can highly recommend the Evostar 150 APO.  Its optical performance for visual observing is on par with some of the finest refractors I’ve ever used, including ones costing three and four times the price of the Evostar."

Notice that he did not state that the 150ED was a "good scope for the money."

Heywood

Edited by Heywood, 30 December 2020 - 08:12 PM.

• bob midiri and sn1993j like this

#68 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 30 December 2020 - 11:56 PM

On a side note, has anyone ever figured out the glass used in these things? I have a suspicion about what it is, but I don't know if it's correct.

#69 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:36 AM

On a side note, has anyone ever figured out the glass used in these things? I have a suspicion about what it is, but I don't know if it's correct.

Beats me, but whatever they use it worked. Seems many are hung up on glass type. It could be coke bottle glass for all i care as long as the image is good.  I have owned 5 or 6 Sky watcher scopes and all batted a 100 for me. 

• bob midiri, Astrojensen and James1996 like this

#70 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:34 AM

Absolutely Chuck. Though I would be interested in the magic that was used, because it is an excellent lens 

Edited by bob midiri, 31 December 2020 - 08:36 AM.

#71 JKAstro

JKAstro

Ranger 4

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:35 AM

On page 35 of the Feb. 2021 edition of Sky & Telescope, Dennis di Cicco writes about the SW Evostar 150ED:  "It is a very fine instrument for serious visual observers and delivers everything I expect from a 150-mm-aperture telescope."  He writes further: "If owning a high-quality, large-aperture refractor is on your bucket list, I can highly recommend the Evostar 150 APO.  Its optical performance for visual observing is on par with some of the finest refractors I’ve ever used, including ones costing three and four times the price of the Evostar."

Notice that he did not state that the 150ED was a "good scope for the money."

Heywood

Is there anyone here who wants to take issue with di Cicco's assertion that the Evostar ranks with the finest refractors costing 4x?  Is that a fair statement to say to consumers?

JK

#72 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:41 AM

Is there anyone here who wants to take issue with di Cicco's assertion that the Evostar ranks with the finest refractors costing 4x?  Is that a fair statement to say to consumers?

JK

Somebody send me one for testing and we can have some objective proof....for that sample.

• JKAstro and Heywood like this

#73 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:45 AM

I think the Mars image answers a lot of questions for me regarding the optics of this scope.   Very nice level of contrast and detail for a 6 inch aperture.  Any blurring due to CA is obviously quite minimal.  Very comparable to what I get with my 6 inch F9 AP Starfire(Pre ED glass Triplet).  For someone who LIKES refractors and wants a larger aperture, this seems like a very nice option with money left over for a mount that can handle such a scope or some very nice eyepieces to compliment the scope.  Pretty amazing to me that such level of optics can be had for that price.  Thanks for posting.  

JMD

• bob midiri and James1996 like this

#74 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 31 December 2020 - 10:33 AM

I think the source of the chromatic aberration phobia people have now is two things:

1. A lot of these guys are purely photographic at this point, so they're really just comparing the points on astrographs.

2. They're perfectionists, and the problem with the little purple halo isn't that you lose some detail to it, it's that it represents an imperfection. Can't have that!

Anyways, if you're in either of these groups, this is probably not the telescope for you. You go ahead and spend that 10k for a Tak or get in your time machine and buy an AP. Ah, who am I kidding, you already did.

Being a perfectionist requires far more knowledge than just being able to see some color. That's the humility part that's missing.

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 31 December 2020 - 10:44 AM.

• Astrojensen and eros312 like this

#75 JKAstro

JKAstro

Ranger 4

Posted 31 December 2020 - 10:33 AM

Somebody send me one for testing and we can have some objective proof....for that sample.

I'm all for this.  We spend a lot of time having reviewers test scopes and pronouncing judgments.  It is time we start testing the reviewers.

And if 4 out of 5 experienced reviewers can't see the difference between an Evostar and a Tak, can't see the difference between a 0.92 Strehl scope and a 0.95 scope and a 0.88 scope, well that will save us all a lot of time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics