•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EVOSTAR 150 ED club

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#176 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:45 AM

All I know is that I personally am quite happy with the performance of this large 6" ED refractor. The image snaps into focus, with a lot of contrast, and no noticeable interfering false color. Im sure I won't stack it up next to a 6" AP, dont know anyone presently who has one, and to be honest, don't feel the need to do that comparison. Im happy with the image I see thru that scope, I feel I got my monies worth, and isnt that the idea..to be a happy camper ..era observer!!  So yep I don't feel the need to purchase something 5 x as much to eek out that last 8% of perfection.

I am very picky and have super steady seeing so if the SW150 made me a happy pappy then everyone can take it to the bank it is a good scope for the money.  I bought mine when it was under $2k. 

• bob midiri, ATM57 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#177 bluesilver

bluesilver

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

Hi, just thought i would show my set of the Skywatcher Evostar 150ED

It is setup for imaging with a DLSR

Cables are a bit messy,  but looking to tidy them up via a separate hub

telescope5.jpg

• bob midiri, tog, George N and 7 others like this

#178 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

Hi, just thought i would show my set of the Skywatcher Evostar 150ED

It is setup for imaging with a DLSR

Cables are a bit messy,  but looking to tidy them up via a separate hub

attachicon.giftelescope5.jpg

Really nice setup Bluesilver! May I ask about your gear? What are you using to connect the dslr to the scope? What about the pier? Is it from SW? How is it working for you? Thanks!

#179 bluesilver

bluesilver

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:18 PM

Really nice setup Bluesilver! May I ask about your gear? What are you using to connect the dslr to the scope? What about the pier? Is it from SW? How is it working for you? Thanks!

Hi Tog, thanks.

The mount is a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 and the pier is also Skywatcher,  the scope was just too long without the pier and would hit the mount.

I control the camera via APT  ( Astro photography tool )

Also use this to select targets to slew to as well.

The camera is a Canon 600D with the full mod done by myself.

I run a asi290mm guide camera via phd2

I polar align using Sharpcap,  works very well with the guide camera and only take a minute or two at the most

I also run Stallerium to select targets to view and to slew to as well.

Everything runs of the laptop,  so no hand controller is used at all.

It all works very well, a bit of a learning curve to set up APT,  but i think i have it working well now,  no star trails with 3 minute exposures.

Still working on the processing side of things though.

• bob midiri, tog and CounterWeight like this

#180 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:31 AM

Hi Tog, thanks.

The mount is a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 and the pier is also Skywatcher,  the scope was just too long without the pier and would hit the mount.

I control the camera via APT  ( Astro photography tool )

Also use this to select targets to slew to as well.

The camera is a Canon 600D with the full mod done by myself.

I run a asi290mm guide camera via phd2

I polar align using Sharpcap,  works very well with the guide camera and only take a minute or two at the most

I also run Stallerium to select targets to view and to slew to as well.

Everything runs of the laptop,  so no hand controller is used at all.

It all works very well, a bit of a learning curve to set up APT,  but i think i have it working well now,  no star trails with 3 minute exposures.

Still working on the processing side of things though.

Thanks for the info bluesilver. This will help me with my own plans. 

• bob midiri likes this

#181 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:10 PM

Hi,

seriously thinking about getting one of these, primarily for visual, as my CPC925 is set up for imaging remotely. At the moment I only have an HEQ5 mount - has anyone tried the OTA that mount? I have put in a request to the other half for an EQ6R for my 70th birthday, so the HEQ would be a temporary solution. The HEQ5 would also be on a permanent pier.

TIA

Gary

#182 bluesilver

bluesilver

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:10 PM

I think you would want a bout that is rated for at lest 20kg.

These scopes are quiet long.

I know mine works fine with the mount i have,  but not sure think the HEQ5 mount might be a little less than that.

#183 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

Gonna need a AP800 or G11 at least for my taste or the bigger Celestron mounts.

#184 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:06 AM

Hi,

seriously thinking about getting one of these, primarily for visual, as my CPC925 is set up for imaging remotely. At the moment I only have an HEQ5 mount - has anyone tried the OTA that mount? I have put in a request to the other half for an EQ6R for my 70th birthday, so the HEQ would be a temporary solution. The HEQ5 would also be on a permanent pier.

TIA

Gary

If it is a temporary measure then the HEQ5 will be fine for visual.  A  permanent pier makes a big difference.

I used the the achromat version of this scope on a Vixen GP mount on a pier in the observatory for over ten years

for visual and some imaging and it worked fine. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#185 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:41 AM

Good Reminder for stability:  Mount + Base.  I've migrated to pedestals or surveyor tripods for my heaviest rigs.

• SteveG and ATM57 like this

#186 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:15 PM

If it is a temporary measure then the HEQ5 will be fine for visual.  A  permanent pier makes a big difference.

I used the the achromat version of this scope on a Vixen GP mount on a pier in the observatory for over ten years

for visual and some imaging and it worked fine. 

Thanks ! I had a chat with a friend who used to use a 6" Skywatcher achromat on an EQ5 and found it OK for visual, so I guess the HEQ5, will be fine as a temporary measure...

cheers

Gary

• bob midiri and Bomber Bob like this

#187 Iowaboy

Iowaboy

Sputnik

• Loc: Des Moines Iowa USA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

I am in need of advice. Sw150 or APM 150/1200 ? 
anyone have any experience with either. 

I have a ES ED127 essential series and would like color correction near what I have now- and I am mostly imaging with my scopes. 

is it possible either if these doublets can satisfy? 

ps - I have a 100wd pro and am pretty happy with the images from it other than a hint of pinch on bright stars which doesn’t bug me ...

• Bomber Bob likes this

#188 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

I had both and they were all great.

• George N, Bomber Bob and Iowaboy like this

#189 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:10 PM

I have a ES ED127 essential series and would like color correction near what I have now- and I am mostly imaging with my scopes. 

ps - I have a 100wd pro and am pretty happy with the images from it other than a hint of pinch on bright stars which doesn’t bug me ...

There's an APM 152 on eBay (IIRC, Seller is a Goodwill / charity)...

My 2017 APM 152ED was an amazing refractor, and worth every penny -- too bad I couldn't get it 20 years ago...

• Iowaboy likes this

#190 Iowaboy

Iowaboy

Sputnik

• Loc: Des Moines Iowa USA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:57 AM

There's an APM 152 on eBay (IIRC, Seller is a Goodwill / charity)...

My 2017 APM 152ED was an amazing refractor, and worth every penny -- too bad I couldn't get it 20 years ago...

Yeah, I’ve been watching that. Now let’s change it up. I just bought the Altair 150EDF because it was in stock and sounds nice. - 

wish me luck. 

• eros312, Bomber Bob and Lookitup like this

#191 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:55 AM

Please post a review once you get your Altair 150EDF (I’m interested in the scope).

#192 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: pa 19320

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

I had both, at differing times, presently the EVOSTAR 150 ED. To me optically I can't see a difference, both optically fantastic to my eye. I sold the APM, wasnt using it enough, was getting heavy and it sat in its case. I used it on a CGE. After I sold it I had sellers remorse, but didnt want to deal with the weight , and lugging out the big CGE mt. BUT sure missed the optical excellence. Took a chance on the EVOSTAR DX 150. Its a great match for my CGEM w extension and its not as heavy, and optically just as superb. I use it a heck of a lot more. So for me the SW Evostar 150ED is the right choice

• JKAstro, SteveG, Illinois and 3 others like this

#193 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:36 AM

Given they were so close, and the different diagonals being used wouldn't you be interested to see the difference using no diagonal in either scope? I know I would.

Didn't have extension tubes unfortunately.

#194 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:45 PM

I had both, at differing times, presently the EVOSTAR 150 ED. To me optically I can't see a difference, both optically fantastic to my eye. I sold the APM, wasnt using it enough, was getting heavy and it sat in its case. I used it on a CGE. After I sold it I had sellers remorse, but didnt want to deal with the weight , and lugging out the big CGE mt. BUT sure missed the optical excellence. Took a chance on the EVOSTAR DX 150. Its a great match for my CGEM w extension and its not as heavy, and optically just as superb. I use it a heck of a lot more. So for me the SW Evostar 150ED is the right choice

Good to hear that the Evostar 150 is as good as the APM.  I bought my APM 150 before the Evostar came out.  Like you, I miss those views!  But, I don't miss hoisting that hefty OTA up to the 6 ft cradle.  At a minimum, I had the OTA + tube rings + Bresser accessory rings + Tak FC-50 to add weight to the eye end to balance the tube & get the eyepiece at a comfortable height.  So... it takes a heavy mount to use the scope at high powers...

• bob midiri and CounterWeight like this

#195 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:42 AM

I recommend not paying much attention to any review done by an astronomy publication. I got very used to reading a lot of great to excellent reviews. Keep in mind the magazine needs those vendors to stay afloat.

Having said that, the SW150ED certainly gets a lot of praise from members here, and I'm considering one myself. When they first came out, John Isaak purchased one that came in damaged - ended up giving it a mediocre review. They stopped selling them because the packaging was inadequate, but they came back on the scene about a year later with great reviews.

Hi JK,

you have made a comment I really like! I`ve never read a review of an astronomy item on CN or elsewhere in the commercials punishing an item - the reviews were always on the bright side! Recent example: The standard Baader bino compared to Denis L. Zeiss Apo. Resumee of the comparison:  they are almost on pair!

So, everyone can make up his mind. Therefore I like unbiased infos on this forum by users smile.gif!

Cheers  Oliver

#196 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

On page 35 of the Feb. 2021 edition of Sky & Telescope, Dennis di Cicco writes about the SW Evostar 150ED:  "It is a very fine instrument for serious visual observers and delivers everything I expect from a 150-mm-aperture telescope."  He writes further: "If owning a high-quality, large-aperture refractor is on your bucket list, I can highly recommend the Evostar 150 APO.  Its optical performance for visual observing is on par with some of the finest refractors I’ve ever used, including ones costing three and four times the price of the Evostar."

These magazine reviews are purposely worded very carefully and sound like they say more than they actually do. They are meant to position products favorably in the reader’s mind.

I don’t get S & T anymore (after 40 years of subscribing) but if that’s what he said, let’s analyze it.

It’s a very fine instrument for the serious observer. And what does “serious” really mean? And what would you call someone who spends $10,000 for a 6” Apo – super duper serious? And what about the poor person with an 8” Dobsonian is he or she not serious. Using the word “serious” gives the reader a feeling that this is a “scientific research” instrument. It’s the same approach that Meade used when Meade dressed models in lap coats for their ads in S & T.

What I (di Cicco) expects. What does that mean? And how is that helping me with what I expect? Maybe his expectations are below mine.

Optical performance is "on par" with some of the finest… “On par”, what does that mean? Using “on par” is completely vague but still sounds like it might be “equal to” the high-priced spread as to not show any difference.  A Mustang GT and a Ferrari Superfast will both do 60 MPH and get you to the 7-Eleven. Does that mean the $44,000 Mustang is “on par” with the  $300,000 Ferrari Superfast?

What exactly were these refractors costing 3 and 4 times as much? AP guarantees optical quality at 98% Strehl. What was the Evostar 150 Strehl? What’s SW’s optical Guarantee – diffraction-limited I believe.

A Tak TOA triplet uses 2 ED elements in the TOA 150 for perfect color correction. What’s the glass in the Evostar 150 doublet? Was there a color crossing or spot diagram in the review? And if “on par” let’s see a bench test. I can point to amateur reviews that include spot diagrams.

The wording in these magazine reviews (and I’m not just talking about the Evostar) is flattering and sounds purposeful without being precise for a reason.

Anyone could write the copy used in the review.  The copy works with “any” telescope. Just give it a try, its kind of fun…

"It is a very fine instrument for serious visual observers and delivers everything I expect from a 180mm Maksutov telescope. If owning a high-quality, large-aperture Maksutov is on your bucket list, I can highly recommend the Sky Watcher 180mm Maksutov.  Its optical performance for visual observing is on par with some of the finest Maksutovs I’ve ever used, including ones costing three and four times the price of the Sky Watcher." (With that last sentence, the reader now congers up the image of a SW 180mm Maksutov being the equal of a Questar 7 – mission accomplished)

I’m not picking on the Evostar 150 just pointing out the "purposeful vagueness" in the statement posted from the S &T review.

To answer your question directly: if "on par" means equal to, then it is not a fair statement. If "on par" means the Evostar is a nice 150mm ED refractor but is 3, 4, 5  performance and mechanical ticks behind the high-priced spread, then the statement is more true. That's how using vague terminology can carry different meanings.

Bob

Hello Bob,

you share exatly my thinking - the reviewer must make his living and can`t be unbiased! (That`s what I wrote in the CN compo of Baader verus Zeis Apo by Denis)!

I`m in high end hifi gear - read over decades the hifi bulletins and my impression was: Who dropped the most adds got the best reviews - more or less.

I did what everyone should do: Went to shows and private people and in particular star parties and listen what I like and then climbed up the ladder.

There is no blame on those on a budget once beginning - for high end hifi it took me 40 years but the jouney is the fun! It would go now for me different but not any better - so play time is over! I enjoy what I have.

This said everyone should be happy what he intends to buy and the budget makes available and than ramp up if there is a need. Just funny to say what we all have expierenced: I bought my first Lichtenknecker Newton 115 mm 1" eyepiece used (before the Celestrons and alike were available) in 1974 and was always dreaming of a bigger scope. Now I`m there with my astro equipment but needed to earn the founds to finance over the time. Good that there is so much choice of decent good optics at present and everybody can decide for himself to have fun - the benchmark can always be increased!

And finally another goodie: Good stuff bought 2nd hand will keep it`s valuewink.gif !

Cheers  Oliver

Edited by Astrohobby, 15 April 2021 - 11:37 AM.

#197 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:16 PM

It is not unusual for astronomy manufacturers, or large retail brands, to use 'Tame' reviewers when they send out early release models for evaluation or beta testing.  If you care to dig back through old threads here related to the early ED150 release, you will find the comments of Dennis' in relation to his trial of the scope and the side by side comparison of another.  I do not doubt Dennis' evaluation of the visual experience with the scope, and imaging was never going to be its strong suit.

Today we might call this social media influencing, it is all around us now. Just have a look at the number of Utuber's trying to make a living reviewing electric guitars (provided by the various manufacturers). Or just about anything else you might be considering buying, cars, etc.

This is how marketing works now.  

There is no substitute for peer reviews, as long as you can be assured it is actually a peer doing the review; which is why waiting is always a good idea. There are certainly enough ED150 owners now to be able to get a balanced view on performance.

Edited by glend, 16 April 2021 - 08:22 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar and Petripher like this

#198 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted Yesterday, 11:57 AM

One thing I've thought for a while is that astronomy really needs blind reviews. It is too easy for people to "see the money" and assume that expensive equipment must be better, regardless of whether or not it is, or whether the differences are actually perceptible or not.

• bob midiri likes this

#199 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 PM

One thing I've thought for a while is that astronomy really needs blind reviews. It is too easy for people to "see the money" and assume that expensive equipment must be better, regardless of whether or not it is, or whether the differences are actually perceptible or not.

Amateur astronomy is a non standardized world. Blind reviews are not possible. There should be a consumer reports like agency and there aren't enough dollars sloshing around for it. What would help is some objective standards/devices that could be used to test stuff indoors. 

#200 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted Today, 05:38 AM

What would help is some objective standards/devices that could be used to test stuff indoors. 

But that device has been around for a long time, and the classical star test can be done and shown by anyone owning a phone, and maybe a phone adapter, very affordable accessory.

https://www.teleskop...s-am-Stern.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics