•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Win10 Networking

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:27 PM

I resisted as long as I could, But I've had to replace a couple of computers.  Win10 pro x64.  I have gone though & turned on all the file sharing & discovery options I can find.  But my Win7 can't find either new ones & the new Win10 can't see each other.  I really despise trying to learn new Op systems.  They always have make schitt harder in the name of security.

So what do I need to do to get all the computers to see each other? ( other then putting them in the same room) neener.gif

#2 robbieg147

robbieg147

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:43 PM

If you have network discovery turned on on both win 10 and win 7 machines with no luck, then I would try temporary shutting down your anti virus software and see if this cures the problem?

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

Are the computers each connected to your home WiFi network, or are they trying to talk to each other directly?  I believe Windows 10 removed the support for "ad-hoc" networking, which is needed for direct connections.

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:13 PM

Set up a small lab to troubleshoot the issue you are seeing. Get a small network switch which will cost you a few $ and a couple of ethernet cables. Go into the network settings of each computers network adapter (see many internet tutorials if your unsure how to do this)  and set an IP address of 192.168.0.100 subnet 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.0.1 and for the other computer repeat the settings other than the IP address of the second computer 192.168.0.101

Connect each computer to the switch with the ethernet cables and power the switch on. You have now set up a small trouble shooting network each computer on its own IP address but connected together on the same network LAN.

Turn the firewalls off on each of the computers (look on internet how to do this if not sure) then from each computer ping the other IP address you should get a response- just open up a command prompt and type ping 192.168.0.101 if your on the first computer -this tells you your nearly in business.

On each computer go the control panel system and select the settings shown. You can turn off the second tick box if you experience authentication difficulties.

From any of the computers open up a command prompt and type mstsc and press enter

This will prompt you for a box to enter the logon credentials of any of the computers you are trying to reach so on your first computer to reach the second you would type 192.168.0.101 you will also need the admin account and password of the computer you are trying to reach- see second capture.

If you type your connection credentials & password correctly you will be able to get into your windows 10 computer via RDP which is the connection method being demonstrated.

When this works on the bench you can then extend your network with either the switch with longer cables or a wifi connection- whatever works best. The same principles will also work for wireless connection- after all its only a network without a wire. On my system at home I have a server in the garage connected to a wi-fi repeater which allows me to reach my garden telescope from my warm office- great for the winter.

Good luck with your testing

network.JPG

network2.JPG

Edited by pyrasanth, 19 November 2020 - 05:22 PM.

#5 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:07 PM

I have the anti virus and firewalls shut off , and the computers are hardwired ( no wifi).  Thanks pyrasanth for your write up.  I will do this tomorrow.  

#6 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:22 PM

I have the anti virus and firewalls shut off , and the computers are hardwired ( no wifi).  Thanks pyrasanth for your write up.  I will do this tomorrow.  

That will make the task easier. Be careful that you check the network settings- get the ping working first then the rest should be fairly easy. I've just connected my new NUC I3 computer box using the steps I've just written out for you.

Edited by pyrasanth, 19 November 2020 - 06:24 PM.

#7 Tempus

Tempus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:00 AM

The issue is that SMB1 has been deprecated (for security reasons) . Do some google searches for this ans you will find some workarounds. Worst case you could enable SMB1 on the Win10 system (but only as a last resort).

#8 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

I went through all the computers yesterday & made a chart of what work & doesn't.  My tests where with using  " Windows Explorer", Ping, & VNC. Some of the tests made no rhyme or reason, Some results where I could connect with Win Explorer & VNC, but it would not ping.  That was a waste of time because today, while I was double checking a couple of things,  Wala, My new computer is visible to my main computer which is / was my main goal for image file transfers.  But during the tests, I found my Observatory control computer (win10) all of a sudden does not like VNC     (in or outbound).  It has been working for a couple of months.  I tried un & re-installing it , no joy.  I will uninstall it again, then make sure the registry is clear, & reinstall it.   

I tried to connect using Remote desktop.  It asks me for credentials. I have less then zero clue what their asking me for. None of my machines has a password setup. With my current computer setup, I need to VNC / RDT from Win7 to Win10.

If I can't get VNC to operate,  How do I do to use RDT?

#9 sbradley07

sbradley07

Messenger

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

If your Windows installation is tied to your Microsoft account (which I believe you have from registering Windows), those are the credentials that Remote Desktop is asking for.  If not, it's the user account creds of the machine your are remoting to.  In your Windows settings, under Accounts/Your Info is where your registered account is listed.  

#10 Lucky 777

Lucky 777

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlisle PA USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:59 PM

Can you ping the ip of any of your machines from any other machine?  You may wish to consider static ip addresses instead of dhcp if you haven't tried that.  

#11 Lucky 777

Lucky 777

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlisle PA USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:09 PM

Also, go to your system properties and make sure remote desktop is allowed.  I'd also uncheck network authentication 

Attached Thumbnails

• snip_Capture.PNG

#12 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:36 PM

If your Windows installation is tied to your Microsoft account (which I believe you have from registering Windows), those are the credentials that Remote Desktop is asking for.  If not, it's the user account creds of the machine your are remoting to.  In your Windows settings, under Accounts/Your Info is where your registered account is listed.  

From the win10 computer in the Observatory,  I logged into MS account, with my email address & PW.  From my Main computer (in the house), to connect to RDT, I used the email address for the username & the MS PW for the login PW. That got rejected.

#13 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:41 PM

Can you ping the ip of any of your machines from any other machine?  You may wish to consider static ip addresses instead of dhcp if you haven't tried that.  

I haven't tried that lately,  The last time I did that, I lost the ability to access the web. So I changes it back to dhcp.  The pinging seems to be blocked, both inbound & outbound by the hub I have in my office. I ordered a new one.

Even with that, I can still connect through Windows / File Explorer which was the main goal.

#14 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:48 PM

Also, go to your system properties and make sure remote desktop is allowed.  I'd also uncheck network authentication 

I did have these parameters set.

I uninstalled VNC again,  look in the registry but found no associated left over software.  I re-installed VNC, But as soon as I went to connect to another machine, The server window already had the IPs of the machines. So there must be a hidden file somewhere the the uninstall utility did not remove.

#15 sbradley07

sbradley07

Messenger

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

From the win10 computer in the Observatory,  I logged into MS account, with my email address & PW.  From my Main computer (in the house), to connect to RDT, I used the email address for the username & the MS PW for the login PW. That got rejected.

You sign in to Windows one of two ways:  with your Microsoft ID or with a local user account.  With Windows 10, MS recommends you use the MS ID.  Pretty sure that wasn't even an option in Win7.  The credentials to remote in to your Win7 PC will be the user account you sign in with when you boot it up.  For your Win 10 machines, the you need to determine which of the two ways you sign in with and use those creds when remoting to those machines.  And you should be using Remote Desktop as recommended by others above, not VNC.  

#16 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:27 PM

You sign in to Windows one of two ways:  with your Microsoft ID or with a local user account.  With Windows 10, MS recommends you use the MS ID.  Pretty sure that wasn't even an option in Win7.  The credentials to remote in to your Win7 PC will be the user account you sign in with when you boot it up.  For your Win 10 machines, the you need to determine which of the two ways you sign in with and use those creds when remoting to those machines.  And you should be using Remote Desktop as recommended by others above, not VNC.  

I have no boot up log in requirements for any of my machines.  What I'm going to be doing is from my office (win7) logging into the observatory (win10).  So if I read your write up correctly,  I use the MS ID and the MS PW to log into the observatory.  

This would be a lot easier  if I could setup the win10 machine with my  own user name & PW.

#17 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:48 PM

https://support.micr...66-32915af2a34d allows you to create a local administrator account. I have these on all my imaging computers so that there's no connection between them and my Microsoft or Google email or anything else. They are all called "astronomer" or something like that. If the machine previously had an MS account, I delete it. Now I have not done the deletion for a while so perhaps it's no longer possible but, as I said, my imaging computers DO NOT have an MS account. The local admin accounts DO have passwords. RDP would never work for me using an account without a password.

Rgrds-Ross

#18 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:31 PM

https://support.micr...66-32915af2a34d allows you to create a local administrator account. I have these on all my imaging computers so that there's no connection between them and my Microsoft or Google email or anything else. They are all called "astronomer" or something like that. If the machine previously had an MS account, I delete it. Now I haxve not done the deletion for a while so perhaps it's no longer possible but, as I said, my imaging computers DO NOT have an MS account. The local admin accounts DO have passwords. RDP would never work for me using an account without a password.

Rgrds-Ross

Thanks Ross.  Will try this tomorrow.  One question,  if I setup a friend's account,  will that force me into logging in when I boot the computer?  That would be tough since I remote boot  the computer.

#19 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:49 PM

I remote boot all my imaging computers. They come up, and when I RDP onto them (or use AnyDesk) they show the splash screen and request a password for the last account that logged on (or in my case a PIN). You can also change the account to log into on that splash screen. Maybe I don't understand your use case. If you want a solution that doesn't require a password or a pin, I don't have one for you.

Rgrds-Ross 

#20 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:13 AM

I remote boot all my imaging computers. They come up, and when I RDP onto them (or use AnyDesk) they show the splash screen and request a password for the last account that logged on (or in my case a PIN). You can also change the account to log into on that splash screen. Maybe I don't understand your use case. If you want a solution that doesn't require a password or a pin, I don't have one for you.

Rgrds-Ross 

As long as I can get in remotely,  then it's  not a problem.  Thanks for  the info.

#21 Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

https://support.micr...66-32915af2a34d allows you to create a local administrator account. I have these on all my imaging computers so that there's no connection between them and my Microsoft or Google email or anything else. They are all called "astronomer" or something like that. If the machine previously had an MS account, I delete it. Now I have not done the deletion for a while so perhaps it's no longer possible but, as I said, my imaging computers DO NOT have an MS account. The local admin accounts DO have passwords. RDP would never work for me using an account without a password.

Rgrds-Ross

Well Ross, This works just fine.  After I understood what MS was looking for, it's not bad to setup.  Thank you Sir.  Take two attaboys out of petty cash.bow.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics