•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Digital Cam to Pentax XW ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:58 AM

I have a couple Pentax XW's and have heard that it is posible to attach a dital camera directly to these oculars and I'm just wondering how one goes about doing this.

I have a Canon PowerShot A510, I would like to couple with my Pentax 20mm XW on my WO 80mm F7 APO and MK67.

What is the best way to do this?

I see Pentax has an adapter for their Optio cameras, is this the route to go?

If the solution is near $100 would it be better to just get a Phillips 900nc and move right into Webcam imaging even though I don't have a tracking eq mount?

Thank you,

-Chris

#2 Jim Easterbrook

Jim Easterbrook

Viking 1

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:11 AM

If you unscrew the XW's eyecup there is a 43mm thread around the eyelens, just visible in the attached picture of my 10mm XW. I don't know about your Canon camera, but for my Nikon Coolpix 4500 I was able to buy a 28mm to 43mm step ring to couple it to the XW. The result has some vignetting at the camera's widest zoom setting, but is not too bad.

PS The Baader Hyperion eyepieces also have 43mm threads. I have a brief comparison of afocal photography with the 10mm XW and the 17mm Hyperion on my web site.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1102532-xw10a.jpg

#3 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

Jim-

Thanks for the info. I'd really like to see the images on your site but the URL you provided is to the stored web page you have on your d-drive of your PC. Can you provide your www address?

Found it,

http://www.jim-easte...ocal/part1.html

Thank you.

-Chris

#4 Jim Easterbrook

Jim Easterbrook

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

D'oh! Thanks for pointing out the error. I've edited my original post.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics