•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Uranus - what color do you see?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 gamma_ari

gamma_ari

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

In last year's opposition, I mostly saw Uranus as whitish with a tinge of aquamarine blue. This year, I have been seeing it as "dirty white" without the slightest trace of color. The last two nights, I was surprised to see Uranus in the usual dirty white, but with a yellow tinge. Instruments used were a 4 inch ED refractor and a 5 inch SCT with different eyepieces.

What colors do you see Uranus in? Did you ever see it yellowish? Please specify the instrument used as it greatly impacts the perception of color.

Clear skies,

Viktor

Edited by gamma_ari, 20 November 2020 - 10:30 AM.

• jodemur likes this

#2 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:19 AM

With my mak, maybe due to its dimmer view, I see it with its "usual" aqua blue.

#3 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:24 AM

I see a green tint and for Neptune I see more aqua

• AndyBooth likes this

#4 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

Uranus = greenish aqua

Neptune = blue-grey

#5 icomet

icomet

Messenger

• Loc: Montana

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:33 PM

Years back, blue - green/greenish - blue for Uranus.

#6 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Messenger

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:51 PM

Since I hit middle age my color sensitivity in the blue-green has dropped off so I see Uranus as mostly grey in my 6" refractor. When I was young, I clearly saw it as greenish-grey and Neptune as blueish-grey, and that was in a 4" Sears reflector. Haven't looked at them in a while in the 12" so I don't know if the additional aperture would give me enough color signal to see them as anything than grey.

• jodemur likes this

#7 VNA

VNA

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

Hello: from 1 200 meters, with a 10" SCT the color is barely green or barely blue, very faint colors. Not yellowish, you may be pointing a star? With a friend's 18" Newton, the colors were similarly pale.

#8 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:24 PM

The one time I have viewed it, I saw it as pale blue, maybe with a very tiny greenish tinge. It reminded me of , what else? , a planetary nebula. 

Clear skies,

Matt.

#9 Stefano Delmonte

Stefano Delmonte

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Salou (Spain) & Broni (Italy)

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:38 AM

With different diameter from 8" to 16" and in different occasions grey or very light blue.

I think humidity can play a role disminishing the colour sensation.

Ste

• Dave Mitsky and jodemur like this

#10 luxo II

luxo II

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:09 AM

Aquamarine is a good description, both visually and photographically - I took a shot of it recently with my ASI533 through my 10” mak at f/20... and yup, pale green - blue, just like a Columbian beryl my wife wears.

Edited by luxo II, 21 November 2020 - 08:16 AM.

#11 jodemur

jodemur

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: mid. east., Michigan, USA--Bortle 4.5 skies

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

My first years of viewing Uranus and Neptune never gave me a consistent color rendition. They varied between shades and combinations of blue, green and grey. My first few years of viewing were through an 8" Dobs and now a 10". My eyepieces are good quality.

Now days I see mostly greys with occasional hints of color but no yellow.

Always, I had thought the determining factor to be sky quality and atmospheric stability; just my personal take on it. The skies have been the worst ever over the past year.

• gamma_ari and Stefano Delmonte like this

#12 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

Now yellow is one color I cannot understand in relation to either of the ice giants. Grey? Certainly. Most people seem to see blue or green. Aquamarine does seem to be a pretty accurate description of Uranus when it comes to color. In my 8 inch, the color was not subtle, it stood out from the stars. When I saw it, I reminded myself, that is exactly what William Herschel saw. It almost, pardon the cliche', blew me away thinking about that.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

• jodemur likes this

#13 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:47 PM

Tonight with my 115 and 140mm f/7 apo triplets I saw Uranus as a pale blue disc, at approximately 160x (5mm Vixen LVW for the former scope, and 6mm Ethos for the latter).

• payner likes this

#14 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Explorer 1

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:55 PM

Mostly grey with barely a greenish tint through my 6” SCT.

#15 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:58 PM

Sometimes I see Uranus as pale blue, other times there seems to be a bit of greenish coloration.  Neptune appears as distinctly blue.  Aperture and the conditions undoubtedly play a role in my color perception of these two ice giants.

• payner, chrysalis and jodemur like this

#16 jodemur

jodemur

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: mid. east., Michigan, USA--Bortle 4.5 skies

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:51 AM

When I put my 10" into service I expected to see awesome color in the two outer ice balls. No disappointment though; with these aging eyes I'm happy to still be able to pull down celestial wonders from the night sky and still feel the wonder of it all. 

• Scott in NC likes this

#17 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

• Loc: Lakeville, MA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

I haven't seen Uranus in a year or so now.

But from 2015-2019 I saw it often in a C-14, Meade 12" SCT, C-8 Edge and AT 8" Dobs.

About 150 feet above sea level, light polluted skies in the middle of a University

Every time I saw it, it was a disk of blue-green, more on the green side most of the time.

#18 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

Uranus is always a cream color or very light grayish white to my eye when using scopes from 3” to 11”.  But I don’t see colors on planets very well, except for Mars.

Bill

#19 Love Cowboy

Love Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

The one time I have viewed it, I saw it as pale blue, maybe with a very tiny greenish tinge. It reminded me of , what else? , a planetary nebula. 

Clear skies,

Matt.

Makes sense, since Herschel coined the term "planetary nebula" because one reminded him of Uranus :)

• chrysalis likes this

#20 mg07

mg07

Sputnik

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

Newbie here with an 8 inch dob and eyes that are only 31 years old. I'm very confident I've found both Uranus and Neptune on a handful of occasions. Particularly with Uranus I can tell it's a disk not a star. But disappointingly I see no color whatsoever in either. Just white.
  • Scott in NC likes this

#21 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

At 31 years old in an 8 inch Dob? Something isn't right if you cannot pick up a tint of blue or a bit of green at the very least. I viewed Uranus in an 8 inch, & my eyes were around 50 even at that time. No problem seeing color. You might be seeing something else, but maybe I'm wrong. After all, others up there a very few do not see much color.

Clear skies,

Matt.

#22 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

Color perception can vary widely among people, even healthy people with 31-year-young eyes, so the color variations that we’re reading here really don’t surprise me.  So many people have told me that they perceive a greenish tint on Uranus, but I’ve never noticed any green, only a pale blue.  And not just now, but a couple of decades ago as well.

• payner likes this

#23 E_Look

E_Look

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: near New York

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:44 PM

I have perceived Uranus from yellowish lime gree all the way to aquamarine-ish teal.  From my experiences, I suspect it strongly depends on aperture, magnification and... of course... sky conditions.

At low power, when it's rather bright in my field of view, I have seen it more than once as lime or yellowish green; I recall being surprised that first night I saw it that way.  But it was also under fairly clear and steady skies.

At higher powers, it goes back to being the expected green tinged blue shades.  Neptune is blue, on the teal side, but a shade that you can't say "green" with, only, "blue".  It kind of is so just about at all powers I've looked at it with, from 40x to 719x (also at 920x, but at that level, even though the color remained, it was a dim unfocusable blob.).

#24 luxo II

luxo II

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:46 PM

Here y'go... imaged at about f/20 through my 10" last month... it's blue-green.

Attached Thumbnails

• 23_55_21_Uranus.jpeg

Edited by luxo II, 22 November 2020 - 11:46 PM.

• Scott in NC, E_Look and greywulf4570 like this

#25 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:39 AM

Makes sense, since Herschel coined the term "planetary nebula" because one reminded him of Uranus smile.gif

Minor clarification:

From https://www.britanni...lanetary-nebula

Planetary nebula, any of a class of bright nebulae that are expanding shells of luminous gas expelled by dying stars. Observed telescopically, they have a relatively round compact appearance rather than the chaotic patchy shapes of other nebulae—hence their name, which was given because of their resemblance to planetary disks when viewed with the instruments of the late 1700s, when the first planetary nebulae were discovered.

Likely wouldn't have been the planet Uranus...

Edited by chrysalis, 23 November 2020 - 04:40 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics