•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telrad finder for CPC 11?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gustave

gustave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlottesville, VA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:57 AM

I recently mounted my CPC11 on a Wheely Bars resulting in a higher reach to the finder scope. I want to replace the included celestron finder with another straight through finder, one without rings in order to keep the finder as close to the tube as possible. The best solution I come with is the Telrad.  I'm  presuming 

Telrads can be used for first alignment. I'd appreciate any feedback from CPC / Telrad users on how well it works for 2 Star alignment. If there are other straight through finders that you may believe to be better than Telrad please advise.

Thanks reading and any replies offered.

#2 ajkrishock

ajkrishock

Vostok 1

• Loc: Perseus Arm

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:09 AM

I have a CPC 1100, too. I have never used the 8x50 finder. I use a telrad exclusively. I only use my telrad during alignment. I have a StarSense alignment accessory, and when it's done, I usually have to use the telrad to slew to a bright star to check the alignment accuracy. After my alignment is done, I turn it off. 

I have a smaller 5" Maksutov that I use the telrad with, too. I think I'd be lost without it.

#3 Maritime

Maritime

Mariner 2

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:18 AM

As per above, I do the same with a 60th anniversary 8 inch and a 127 mak.  Buy a spare base of two....  Telrad is butt ugly, but she sure can cook. 

#4 MarMax

MarMax

Messenger

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:33 PM

I've been using a Telrad finder on my CPC 1100 for several months and love it. To do it nice and clean you'll need a couple parts. First is the Synta style dovetail base. I use the one from Scopestuff (#RDPS). You need a couple longer #8-32 screws, like 1/2" or 5/8". I recommend a Telrad/Synta style ABS (3D printed) base from Dr. Benway (vendor here on CN). Here is a pic of my rig.

gallery_332504_14303_6471.jpg

Edited to add that I have home made wheels on my rig which makes it too tall for any other type of finder. The above Telrad set up works very well. I'm taking it off and putting in on each time I view and it rarely needs adjustment.

Edited by MarMax, 20 November 2020 - 09:36 PM.

• gustave likes this

#5 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:37 PM

I've used Telrads before but also like simple Red Dot Finders as they're light, cheap and only needed for two stars.  If you struggle with neck issues however the Telrad is a easier to use IME.

#6 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

When I use my C-11 on my AVX mount, I mount my Telrad on the scope with a bungee cord for alignment and star hopping. I use a spare base that has not had the glue strips exposed so, it can easily be rotated for a comfortable eye position when aligning with the AVX mount.

• gustave likes this

#7 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:01 PM

I’ve had a Telrad on my CPC1100 since I bought it in 2013 and a Telrad on my C8 before that (since 2008).  I can’t imagine using any other finder.  At times I may use my straight thru finder but rarely.

If you do buy a Telrad, get 2 things for it.  1.) some kind of dew prevention or dew shield if you observe from somewhere where dew is an issue.  2.) a momentary switch for the Telrad, it basically allows power from the 2 AA batteries to power the reticles for 2 mins then powers down, it helps save battery life especially since it’s easy to have the lever switch click on when stored with other equipment.  Nothing worse than getting out and finding your AAs are dead.

-Mike

• gustave and mlord like this

#8 Maritime

Maritime

Mariner 2

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:56 PM

Where did you get the momentary switch?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics