•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chance to Purchase A TMB

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rugby

rugby

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:43 PM

I would like to connect with other amateurs who own, have owned or used a 152 TMB. My intent is to purchase this pristine telescope but first want to know how others perceive its quality. I believe it was made in 2006. The lens is very clean and without sleeks or smudges. The focuser is smooth as far as it will extend. The paint is immaculate as is the sliding dew shield.

In the field , images are crisp. The sky is a velvet black. Using  a 5mm radian on a known double I could see light scatter. i think this an artifact of the eyepiece. The scope comes with test results.

i am after opinions, testimonials or caveats why I should  or should not purchase. Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to its current value.

#2 EricCCD

EricCCD

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:27 PM

Rambling post, apologies in advance.

Short answer: take it, depending on the price.

My first light impressions of mine:

https://www.cloudyni...ew-to-me-scope/

It's been my primary scope this year for nighttime observing. I even used it for some fun DSO imaging this year:

https://www.cloudyni...with-a-osc-ccd/

For this year, I decided to shelve a C11EdgeHD and its quirks (Is the blurry image from seeing? Collimation?) in favor of the TMB-152 for imaging the planets (I can at least say it's mostly the seeing!). I'm not the best planetary imager, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I got.

https://www.cloudyni...with-a-tmb-152/

I'm pleased as punch with what this scope is showing and imaging. In our light-polluted backyard globs are disappointing visually (the C11 eats those for lunch), but what the TMB does show it shows magnificently!

One recent visual impression of Mars: at about 384x (12.5 Ortho, 4x Powermate) through mediocre to good seeing, I could still recognize Sinus Meridiani easily (had to look that feature up!). The only thing marring my experience was floaters. But the view of Mars was great.

It's also been a great scope for tight doubles. I've occasionally surfed the double star database on my AP1200GTO, and it's pretty cool checking out those stars - and seeing Airy disks! That said, I've had no luck splitting Antares or Sirius with this yet.

Not sure what a fair price would be. I got mine for what I felt was a pretty fair one!

HTH,
Eric

• zjc26138 likes this

#3 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:30 PM

https://www.cloudyni...apochromat-r447

#4 StephenW

StephenW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:38 PM

Beautiful scopes - I have mine currently configured for imaging but I'm kinds looking forward to the day when I switch it back just for visual :)

Only caveat is that it is a heavy scope.  What do you plan to mount it on?

#5 rugby

rugby

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:49 PM

I will be using this TMB for visual use only.  As a test I mounted it on a DM 6 and there were no issues regarding balance or vibration. Yes it is heavier than the TEC 140 but no where near the weight of my TOA 150. A fair market value is not easy to come by. So far  a price fair to both sides is the sticking point. At least there is no freight or packaging involved. The scope does not come with a case.

#6 ismosi

ismosi

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:50 PM

I am going to echo a lot of what Eric had to say. I own the CNC version, #118, incidentally.

It was 'rigged' for imaging but I re-configured it to visual for the Martian opposition. My best views of Mars were through this scope, even though I have larger aperture telescopes at my disposal. I know an 18-inch Dob should eat the TMB's lunch, but where I live, guess what, it didn't. No telescope I own has given me better planetary views than my TMB. (Maybe I need to move, lol.gif ). I remember many nights watching the dance of the Jovian moons and being mesmerized at the beauty of Saturn.

I used it for Mars imaging and got much better result than with my 10-inch SCT. (Let's just say that I don't get along with that 'scope.) I'm happy with what I was able to capture with the TMB, even though I'm a new to planetary imaging.

It's a decent aperture for DSOs. My recently-acquired 18-inch DOES eat its lunch there though but the views through a quality refractor are unequaled.

I split Sirius at the 2006 Winter Star Party :) kind of by accident (I was using Sirius as an alignment star).

Scopes this rare are hard to price; mine is priceless though ;)

#7 rugby

rugby

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

Interesting to hear that I should buy but depending on price. Yes I agree. The closest I can find to this scope is the 150 APM LZOS. In USD including a freight charge it is approximately 10k. I think the TMB version this is a better product however. Any opinions?

#8 EricCCD

EricCCD

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:23 PM

Interesting to hear that I should buy but depending on price. Yes I agree. The closest I can find to this scope is the 150 APM LZOS. In USD including a freight charge it is approximately 10k. I think the TMB version this is a better product however. Any opinions?

I only mentioned price maybe because I'm price-sensitive. Honestly, since Thomas Back has passed you *know* the scopes personally certified by him will no longer be made. Though I believe a lot, including the APM LZOS scopes, unless I'm sorely out of date or really mistaken are still based on his design.

Actually, you can start with the price of a new 152APM LZOS triplet and go from there. BTW, my version is not the CNC version but the lighter-tubed version.

#9 knight_parn

knight_parn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Peterborough, UK

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:31 PM

Both the APM 152 f/7.9 and the TMB have the same LZOS lens cell. If the APM is equipped with a FTF, then mechanically it should be superior to a 14 years old TMB 152. However the TMB offers not only the optical quality but also some sentimental values.

#10 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:52 PM

Thomas passed away 13 years ago, and people are still talking about his scopes..... What does that tell you.

Edited by stevew, 20 November 2020 - 11:00 PM.

• payner, Colin exraaf and Kunama like this

#11 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:58 PM

I have a 2007 CNC II LW version with the FTF3545BCR focuser, it is perhaps the finest refractor I have observed with to date...... 

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7979.JPG

• Scott in NC, 3 i Guy, stevew and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics