•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Had a brief stop in Aries tonight!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:37 AM

20201120_220812.jpg

I did some observing tonight in my red white zone backyard light pollution.

It was an awesome night despite the transparency issues at times.  I was out looking at various targets for 3.5 hours at -12C.  I took some breaks to warm up inside my house. 

I observed a couple doubles in Andromeda before trying out something new - Aries!

I was just random scrolling on the Cambridge double star atlas via SS6pro which lead me there.

I starhopped from Mars with finding the bright trio of magnitude 2 to 3.9 stars of Aries, I centered the GT with the 30UFF over Sheratan and Mesarthim.

Wow what a sight.  Gamma1 Arietis is a splendid triple system, with it split with even my 30UFF. I enjoyed the view with the 12.5 Noblex and 6.5 morpheus.  I tried the 3.5 delos (234x) but conditions were not supporting it.

Mesarthim has a dual blazing white (almost a touch of yellow) stars close together, with a fainter outlier star to the East (reversed in actual viewing as I am using a diagonal). 

I found another double in Aries...this one Lambda Ariestis!

Yellow white primary and faint blue secondary.

Both of these were attractive selection of doubles in a constellation I have never visited before!  I highly recommend checking them out if you have not done so already.

Clear skies! 

• Cames, mauigazer, havasman and 4 others like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:34 AM

Aries is a favorite "small, obscure" constellation. It's got great galaxies too. And it's kind of a shock to discover all that content, as you note.

• flt158, Tyson M and rugby like this

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:24 PM

Aries is a favorite "small, obscure" constellation. It's got great galaxies too. And it's kind of a shock to discover all that content, as you note.

Yes I saw several galaxies in there as well, but I didnt even try to look for em haha.  Needed better conditions, a darker sky, possibly more aperture, ect

• havasman likes this

#4 c2m2t

c2m2t

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:10 PM

Hi Tyson!

Great report! Nice setup...and judging from the white stuff that permeates your observing area, I am going to guess Alberta.!!?? I am hailing from eastern Ontario, about 120 km west of Ottawa. We are expecting our first good snowfall tomorrow. Great to see that the white stuff is not keeping you from your hobby. Winter is my favourite observing/imaging season. Long nights which allow you to get 5 to 6 hours of observing in before midnight. The big bonus is no insects. I finally acquired a single bay POD and that makes the winter observing so much easier.

Your forray into Aries had me checking my double star archive and I realized that I have, as of yet, not processed any of the 60 systems that I have imaged in this small but very interesting constellation. So to build on your observations, I have added images of both Gam1 Arietis (STF 180) and Lam Ari (H V 12). Both systems have 4 components with Lam Ari being the more punchy of the two. I should tell the readers that the image of STF 180 is of a much shorter exposure (4 seconds) than H V 12 at 30 seconds. This was required to get a clean break between the close AB pairing. The additional systems that I have identified in the STF 180 image would have shown much better in a 30 second exposure. To complete the STF 180 story, I have roughed in the approximate location of the mag. 13.60 "D" component.

I have provided duplicate images of both systems, one with notation to highlight the data and another to give an unfettered view of what might be seen at the eyepiece. 

I am sure I speak for all here...we look forward to more of your observations and reports.

Cheers, Chris.

Attached Thumbnails

• STF 180-7379-pt-ns-ID-Notes.jpg
  • STF 180-7379-pt-ns-ID.jpg
  • H V 12-0211-pt-ns-ID-Labels.jpg
  • H V 12-0211-pt-ns-ID.jpg

• Magnus Ahrling, flt158, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

Hi Tyson!

Great report! Nice setup...and judging from the white stuff that permeates your observing area, I am going to guess Alberta.!!?? I am hailing from eastern Ontario, about 120 km west of Ottawa. We are expecting our first good snowfall tomorrow. Great to see that the white stuff is not keeping you from your hobby. Winter is my favourite observing/imaging season. Long nights which allow you to get 5 to 6 hours of observing in before midnight. The big bonus is no insects. I finally acquired a single bay POD and that makes the winter observing so much easier.

Your forray into Aries had me checking my double star archive and I realized that I have, as of yet, not processed any of the 60 systems that I have imaged in this small but very interesting constellation. So to build on your observations, I have added images of both Gam1 Arietis (STF 180) and Lam Ari (H V 12). Both systems have 4 components with Lam Ari being the more punchy of the two. I should tell the readers that the image of STF 180 is of a much shorter exposure (4 seconds) than H V 12 at 30 seconds. This was required to get a clean break between the close AB pairing. The additional systems that I have identified in the STF 180 image would have shown much better in a 30 second exposure. To complete the STF 180 story, I have roughed in the approximate location of the mag. 13.60 "D" component.

I have provided duplicate images of both systems, one with notation to highlight the data and another to give an unfettered view of what might be seen at the eyepiece. 

I am sure I speak for all here...we look forward to more of your observations and reports.

Cheers, Chris.

Excellent images!  And yes you are correct.

I agree, winter is great for those things, particularly the amount of potential observing time.  Only issue is this time of year typically is dreadful for cloud cover.  Jan and Feb should be colder but clearer.  Typically seeing tanks but transparency gets amazing.  Regardless, I will be out each session I can.

• flt158 and c2m2t like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics