•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BRAND NEW to Astronomy - Seeking Advice Please

beginner observing equipment accessories
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Neverstoplookingup*

Neverstoplookingup*

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nor Cal - Sonoma County, California

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:18 AM

Hello everyone.  I feel like I just found my long lost family wink.gif

I am a mother of five children, ages 5 to 18 and I need help.  Please.  My kids and I spend hours sky watching, star gazing... we are constantly looking up.  We watch all the launches live, we set alarms for 3 am and go outside together for sky "events" to catch those moments as they happen.  We LOVE space.  We are a family that is in love with the sky.  

I have been saving up and I finally, finally just ordered a 10 inch Dobsonian.  It is our very first scope.  My kids have no idea.  I am hoping I made the right decision on a 10 inch Dob as our first scope.  I went with the Sky Watcher, mostly based on reviews on numerous sites and that sweet younger girl in her backyard observatory from youtube, Helena I believe.  Zhummel was sold out.  Orion 10 classic I could not find.  Apertura was sold out as well.  Those would have been my first choices.   Was going with the Celestron Nexstar 130 at one point.  May have been a good call but I didn't want to mess with the electronics yet.  Why I love old cars and trucks, less parts to break and things I can work on myself.  I had an Orion 8 inch ordered and then I saw that young girls clip / her review and changed it up.  Although, I think I ended up with a lesser scope, unless the Skyline is a UK thing?  Regardless, decided to dive in to a 10 inch.  I am not scared of the size.  I have a huge Chevy to transport.  I lift weights.  I am good.  Figured I would like the extra light.  

It was just shipped and is on the way.  I do plan to set us up for Astrophotography next.  This is a love of ours.  My 11 year old takes his Iphone SE and tries and tries to capture planets.  He got an amazing picture of Mars recently when it was close in and although it was just a bright, orange, blurry blob, we were so excited about it.  It was like seeing into the past.  I was amazed by it.  That is the plan moving forward but for now, It's kind of like learning the guitar, you have to learn the chords first of you ever wish to play well.  I want my kids to learn the sky, manually, before we have a bunch of high end equipment.  I want to as well.  I am hoping the Dob was the right choice for that.  I know we won't get great shots but that will come down the line.  

So I am budgeted fairly tightly.  I just paid for the scope and now I want to make sure we have the lens or any accessories we need to get going.  I know from stalking all of your forums here for many months now smile.gif (you are all so helpful), that I need a barlow lens.  A few other eye pieces.  A 2 inch would be amazing but my goodness are they costly and I THINK my scope comes with one??  What it looks like.  I know I need a moon filter.  Right angle scope?  Culminate?  Ready set for that already?

Could someone PLEASE recommend a few key and crucial quality items, very specifically set for the exact scope I am getting?  It's information overload when you search for eye pieces and accessories for a 10 inch Dob.  I do not yet understand half of what I am reading.  I have zero experience with any of this.  I would really appreciate the tips.  

Skywatcher, Classic Dob, Model 250P 10”

10” (254 mm) Dobsonian-style Newtonian / 1200 mm focal length (f/4.7)
2” single-speed Crayford-style focuser w/ 1.25” adaptor
9×50 Straight through finder scope / Solid rocker-mount w/ Teflon bearings & tension clutch for altitude.

I appreciate you all in advance.  Doing my share to share the skies with the next generation.  Hoping it has a ripple effect.  I'll be grateful, always for your advice.  I hope I made the right call on the scope.  Trying not to second guess myself.  We are not wealthy by any means so it was a big decision to make.  Wealthy and rich in all other ways however and this addition to the family is absolutely EVERYTHING to me.  Sorry this turned into such a lengthy call for help.  

THANK YOU all so much.  Star Fam wink.gif

Randi 

• dswtan, kopite, CounterWeight and 5 others like this

#2 Justin Fuller

Justin Fuller

Viking 1

• Loc: Redondo Beach, CA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:51 AM

Welcome, you sound like a wonderful mom. You made a great choice on the 10" Dob I think. I had one as well and they are great workhorse scopes. Looks like you get a 25mm and 10mm eyepiece. That should suit you for a bit. I found the most useful thing for my 10" Dob were some navigational aids; a Telrad finder, a right-angle correct-image 50mm finder scope, a planisphere for near your latitude and a star map like Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas. I was able to find anything my scope could reach with that combo of items.
  • dswtan, CounterWeight, drd715 and 2 others like this

#3 lee14

lee14

Apollo

• Loc: CNY

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:51 AM

Put aside for the moment all the eyepieces and accessories you might be considering. Two eyepieces, one low power and one medium will be fine. The low power will be anywhere from 32mm to 55mm. The medium power maybe 12mm too 25mm. (You can calculate the magnification by dividing the focal length of the eyepiece into the focal length of the scope) What you need most at first, is a good guide to the sky that will give you an idea of the best objects for beginners to look at, how to locate them, and what to expect to see. There are a number of great intro books, but I'll leave the recommendations to the other posters.

Lee

• Jeff L and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#4 Jim T

Jim T

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern MO

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:57 AM

Line up your finder every time out.  A laser collimator is not necessary, but sure makes life easier.  Without it, a 2-person effort may prove easier with practice.  The astrophotography will initially be limited to the moon and brighter planets.  Some dob owners do well, with much additional effort.  Dobs are not inherently good at A/P, but they are great in affordable, great eyeball views.  Use CN for buying used equipment accessories whenever you can.   I also recommend www.skymaps.com for starters, and the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas later on.

• Neverstoplookingup* likes this

#5 vtornado

vtornado

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:58 AM

Hello Randi and welcome to the forum.

I think you made a good choice.   The 130 is a good scope, but the mount is quite wobbly.  Your 10 inch dob will show you more and be

rock steady.

You may need one or two eyepieces to round out your set.  Please post here what eyepieces the scope comes bundled with, and we can help.

The paradigm dual ed eyepieces are great for the price.  But don't buy any until you figure out what is coming with the scope.

Read about degree circles and angle meters on this site.  These are home made things that will help you point the scope at faint objects that are small

and difficult to find. 

https://www.cloudyni...degree-circles/

Download sky-safari app to a cell phone or tablet.  Along with your angle meter/degree circle it will tell you where to point the scope in the sky.

In addition to pointing the app has several pages on background of hundreds of objects.  On cloudy nights sometimes I just read from the app.

An f5 scope will have to be collimated each time it is used.  (just a tweak)  If you scope comes with at collimatation that might

be fine.  But you may have to go with a barlowed laser or a site tube. 

If kept inside, and brought outside, the mirror needs to be cooled to outside temp before the image becomes crisp. 

In a 10 inch dob, this takes about 45 minutes to cool 20 degrees F.  A simple solution is to set the scope out at dinner time

and it will be ready after dinner.

Red beam flashlight is very useful.

Edited by vtornado, 21 November 2020 - 11:02 AM.

• LIVE LONG and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#6 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:22 AM

1-Since your scope is controlled manually, skip any attempts at photography.

2-With a focal ratio of 4.7, the lowest power eyepiece that yields a 7mm exit pupil (young eye's nightime widest pupil opening) is 32.5mm. Any 2" eyepiece between 27mm-32mm and field of views between 62 degrees and 82 degrees would work fine. Expect to spend $170 to over $250 dollars however. That 25mm eyepiece will be fine for starters.

3-Technically, the highest power eyepiece would be a 2.5mm yielding 480x. 480x is not usable most of the time here in the states. A 5-6mm eyepiece would give you 240-200x and that is about the most you will use on typical nights. Try for an eyepiece with a fairly wide field of view to make it easier to keep your target in the field of view.

4-Books, Nightwatch by Terrence Dickerson is very good. My all time favorite basic pocket guide is "The Observers book of Astronomy" by Patrick Moore. It is out of print but can be found on ebay.

Have fun.

Cliff

• fallenstarseven and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#7 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:23 AM

Hi, and welcome and prepare for the flood,,,,,,,

The eyepieces that come with the scope are nice, but have a narrow field of view so what ever target you capture in the field of view will drift out rather quickly so movement of the scope will need to be smooth to keep up with the target.

When you get the scope it will need to be assembled, when assembling the base, you have the upright supports for the scope and the rotating base, on one piece are three teflon pads, the other section will have the little hard rubber feet that set on the ground.

Install the center pivot bolt and spin the top around several times, this sets a path for the teflon pads, now remove the center pivot bolt and separate the two pieces, on the bottom section there will be a circular path of the teflon pads, using bar soap, like Ivory hand soap coat that circular path evenly,

The soap acts as a lubricant and smooths up the rotation effort quite a bit, now assemble the base as per the instructions.

This solid tube dob will retain collimation quite well, but remember during adjustment of the mirrors to have the scope almost level, because if you drop a tool it won't slide down and hit the big primary mirror.

Simple collimation tools at first, a good Cheshire sighting tool such as the Catseye, very nice and out performs most others, go to Catseyecollimation.com and read up on how to properly collimate the scope, it will need adjustment from time to time.

https://www.catseyecollimation.com/

Replacing the secondary mirror adjustment screws with a set from Bob's Knob's is one of the first things to get, replace them one at a time, now using the Cheshire you can easily set the mirrors orientation to the focuser.

Eyepiece wise, the SW10" has a focal length of 1200mm, that divided by the eye lens focal length will give you the magnification level of the combination of the two.

200X is about the highest I suggest at first, most of the time the "seeing" conditions don't permit much higher, 

To explain this just a bit, our atmosphere is loaded with dust & moisture, when magnifying your view you're also magnifying all that stuff in out air, this is called "seeing Conditions".

So I would suggest for your first high mag eyepiece the ES 6.7mm 82° fov.

A well corrected eye piece for your scope, edge correction is improtant because you're going to be watching your target from edge to edge, and if the edge correction of the eyepiece isn't very good the usable area of the field of view is reduced, sometimes considerably.

Then for the medium power eyepiece, the ES 14mm 82°

For low power the ES 24mm 68°

These eyepieces will last you a lifetime of use with that SW10.

And with these three you'll not find a Barlow useful, so don't buy one..

• drd715, B 26354 and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#8 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:28 AM

Nice scope in some ways but it is wrong for getting images. Next concern is that to use a dobsonian mounted scope takes time. And that is not 5 to 10 minutes on a convenient night it is a couple of hours each person over say 8 to 10 nights.

Club here in effect binned a 10" dobsonian as no-one was able to use it on their outreach nights.

It is big and big seems to drive most people. Honestly never understood why other then it is a quick and easy way for one person to claim Mine is bigger then yours. As to Youtube I would not believe that if they said the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Ardent believer that Youtube is not to help you but get their name out there.

Slight "complaint": Why do people go and buy a scope, then say they are seeking advice?

It is too late.

You have ordered, paid for and are getting a 10" dobsonian mounted Newtonian reflector.

Just seems strange to ask after the event.

You will want a few additional eyepieces, for the scope try the Paradigms at $60 each, 8mm, 12mm and 25mm. Should cover you for most. Forget claims of 450x-500x magnification, just is not going to happen. 200x maaybe and 250x if lucky. But either will want good eyepieces.

You may want later a coma corrector although likely easier to just live with slightly odd shaped edge stars - people really only look at the center. Unless they are testing an eyepiece or want to find fault in it.

You will need a collimator. The Cheshires seem easier to use - don't own a reflector so not from experience.

When it arrives would like to know your initial reaction.

When things return towards "normal" I suggest you locate a reachable club that you like.

Add a location for yourself, it really helps.

US Clubs

#9 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:38 AM

I'm adding after thought's as a second reply rather than an EDIT to my first,

When I first got back into the hobby I was a "Set" sort of guy, all the eyepieces of a certain series, then after a while I found I was using like three or four of them, instead of the entire set, so now I just recommend the three that I used the most,,,,, well actually all the time.

I own a Sky Watcher truss 10" which is the same as your's they have very good mirrors and can yield incredible views.

I also found that a Telrad was useful, I found it easier to aim with the Baader Sky Surfer III

https://agenaastro.c...dot-finder.html

BTW, Agena has a great rep as a vendor, and so does Astronomics, between the two you'll find everything you need.

• JMP and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#10 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

Skywatcher, Classic Dob, Model 250P 10”
10” (254 mm) Dobsonian-style Newtonian / 1200 mm focal length (f/4.7)
2” single-speed Crayford-style focuser w/ 1.25” adaptor
9×50 Straight through finder scope / Solid rocker-mount w/ Teflon bearings & tension clutch for altitude.

Congratulations on your new scope. If you have binoculars, they make a perfect companion to the telescope.

That is an excellent choice, as long as you can deal with the size. It is very manageable with just a little planning.

Where will you store it?
Where will you use it?
How will you move it?

If you store it in the house you have to deal with stairs, most likely. If you store it in the garage or a shed then you can likely eliminate stairs. All of my scopes live in the garage. My 8" Dob lived on a cart. My 12" Dob lives on a hand truck to make it super easy to move around. See photos below.

Accessories to add to your Telescope
https://telescopicwa...ls-accessories/

Give serious consideration to an adjustable height chair. These can be bought or built.

How to Use a Telescope: First Time User’s Guide
https://telescopicwa...ope-user-guide/

Make sure you get the finder scope properly aligned with the optical tube. This is a daytime project. Do not leave it for the night or you will be very frustrated.

Now that you have the scope, your next big investment will be in eyepieces. Here is what you need to know, along with recommendations.

Understanding Telescope Eyepieces
https://opticsaide.c...-for-telescope/

A $75 Celestron/Meade/SVBony zoom plus a $30 2X Barlow will give you the full range of your scope to start.

A $70 to $100 2" 32 mm to 38 mm 65 to 70 degree eyepiece will help you find things and give you the wide view to view large deep sky objects. This is discussed in the article. If you need links to places to buy, just ask.

Understanding and using a Barlow Lens
https://telescopicwatch.com/?s=barlow

As your Dob is a manual AltAz type mount scope it will be very easy to use, and Dobs are very stable. But once you run out of things to point it at that you can see with your eyes, you will want to learn how to find deep sky objects that you can't see.

Seven Ways To Find Things In the Sky
https://www.cloudyni...e-there-others/

Using an angle gauge to help find targets – AltAz coordinates
https://www.cloudyni...y/#entry8120838

Photos:

My current 12" Dob next to my former 8" Dob. Your 10 will look like the 8.

How will you move it? - Depending on where you store it, you might want to consider using a hand truck to move it if you don't want to carry it around. The photo shows my 12" Dob on a hand truck. Makes it so easy to move this 90 pound scope around my property. $40

The scope on the flat cart was my 8" Dob, about 42 pounds, 20/22. Yours will be closer to 60 pounds, 30/30 - That cart works well on hard surfaces like a smooth driveway or sidewalk but not so well on dirt or grass. $25

Attached Thumbnails

• Apertura AD12 and Orion XT8i (240x320).jpg
  • Apertura fitted to red handtruck (240x320).jpg
  • XT8i on cart   269X480 .jpg

Edited by aeajr, 21 November 2020 - 12:07 PM.

• JMP, Second Time Around and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#11 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:54 AM

At some point you will need to learn how to collimate the optical tube.  It is scary at first but it is really a very simple and quick thing to do.  Like checking the air in your tires, it is something to do from time to time to get the best performance out of the scope.

The Defocused Star test of collimation - If you pick a bright star, center in at high power eyepiece.  Defocus it and you should get a dark area in the center with a concentric ring or rings around it.  As long as it is even all around your are in good enough collimation.  I do this at the start of every observation session.   If the image is off center then I know I need to do a collimation procedure on my scope.   I can use the scope tonight if I wish but it needs adjustment.  I just might not get the best views I could possibly get.
https://www.youtube....h?v=FrpldHJFABo

How to Collimate an Orion Reflector Telescope using a collimation cap or a laser.  Yours is done the same way.  In fact Orion and Sky-Watcher are made by the same company, Synta. 
https://www.youtube....h?v=YAVGcGEBmCE

If yours doesn't come with a collimation tool, this collimation cap will get you going.

https://agenaastro.c...t-eyepiece.html

Lasers are more convenient but not necessary.

Edited by aeajr, 21 November 2020 - 11:55 AM.

#12 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:57 AM

Welcome to the club!

SkySafari does a great job of showing you what's in the sky tonight, I use it all the time.
The Cambridge Deep Sky Album by Jack Newton is available from Abe Books for under $10. Gives a realistic view of what deep sky objects look like.
A basic 32mm plossl could become your favorite wide field eyepiece, the Meade series 4000 32mm is a good value for money.

One of my favorite accessories is a Harbor Freight hand truck with inflated tires. I can wheel the dob from the garage to a good spot in the yard in less than a minute.

Chances are there is a club or an experienced scope owner near you to show you how to collimate the scope. It seems mysterious at first but it makes a big difference. A collimated 10" scope will resolve globulars into hundreds of tiny stars, well worth the effort to learn.

#13 c2m2t

c2m2t

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

Hi Randi!

What a wonderful step you have taken on behalf of your family!! It will provide a lifetime of wonderment. There is so much stuff out there to make these kind of decisions an exercise in frustration. I see myself some 20 years ago making all the mistakes. I believe the best initial move you can make is to reach out to your local astronomy community to best access the local collective experience. Having made most of the mistakes on my own without any local astronomy buffs to mentor me, I have made it a goal of mine to assist anyone whom I can personally access to offer guidance and access to my equipment. I am sure there are like minded individuals near to you that share this passion I have to pass on the often, hard fought for, experience. Having someone to provide that initial guidance will only encourage your growth and flatten the learning curve. Something I have not seen in this discussion is a recommendation of a hard copy star chart. I am not quite a dinosaur but I did start into this hobby before electronic star charts/apps like Sky Safari and the like. A good map is indispensable to acquiring a good understanding of what is out there. Electronic apps can flood you with too much information since they contain far more dim stars that can muddy ones' star hopping exercise. Again, don't rush off to make a purchase but wait for an opportunity to talk with others who have been enjoying the hobby for some years and with any luck they can show you what they are using.

I wish you and the family many years of fascination and enjoyment. It is truly one hobby that can last a lifetime!!

Cheers, Chris.

P.S. One final note....always bring along binoculars when you observe.

#14 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:06 PM

Wow, good for you! You bought a telescope that far exceeds my first venture into this glorious adventure. Slow down and enjoy, become familiar with what you have. Get a good sky atlas, (I like Sky Safari on my iPad/iphone). Learn to "star hop" to find the dim stuff. You'll soon be comfortable as you learn the sky. The eyepieces that you'll get with the scope are ok entry level. I know years ago, I was satisfied with the Kelners that came with my 8" newtonian. Then one night I plugged in a 20mm Erfle and my whole world shook. Don't cheat yourself from that upgrading experience. Use what you've got, then go for a wider field eyepiece. There are many to choose from.

#15 river-z

river-z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

Definitely get an app like Sky Safari.  There are lists programmed in the app for things like "Best of Tonight" and you can just click on something listed and it shows you where in the night sky to look.  It's a good place to start with the new capability you have now using the telescope.  

You may find that the straight through finder scope is quite literally a pain in the neck.  Many of us buy a RACI (right angle correct image) finderscope because they are easier to use.

• Second Time Around and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#16 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

Welcome Randi.

#17 tommm

tommm

Viking 1

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:52 PM

Congratulations on your new scope!  I would just spend your time setting it up and getting familiar with collimating (aligning) the primary and secondary mirrors, and aligning the finder scope with the main scope.  The latter during daylight on a distant (several miles or more) target. That will get you close, may have to tweak it a bit by then pointing the scope at Polaris - since it doesn't move.  Then use it for a while with the supplied eyepieces.

No need to buy SkySafari or similar at first either.  There are a number of free online sites you can use to find objects to look at. Here are some:

https://tinyurl.com/yy4a8rpd
https://theskylive.c...ium?obj=c2020f3
https://telescopius.com/
http://stellarium.org/
https://www.timeandd...th=11&year=2020
http://www.atlasofth...om/5000lys.html

After using it a while you will get a better feel for what, if any, additional things you want.  Get comfortable with using it first.  When you want info on things, post in the Reflectors forum here on CN, or do searches.  You can find a lot of info that way.

Wonderful to hear you and your kids excitement with the night sky!

Edit: Here are some sites on getting familiar with your new scope:

https://optcorp.com/...e-for-beginners
https://lovethenight...se-a-telescope/
https://www.highpoin...ope-users-guide
https://skyandtelesc...cope-questions/

Again, use it for a while first, but you may decide to get one of these finders to make it easier to point the scope at a visible object, or specific area in the sky, if you find it difficult to do so with the little finder scope that comes with you main scope.

https://agenaastro.c...quikfinder.html
https://agenaastro.c...lex-finder.html

Edited by tommm, 21 November 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• Voyageur and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#18 Andynator

Andynator

Vostok 1

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:37 PM

As a parent,

Go on Amazon and buy H.A. Rey's book on finding the constellations. Yes, the same guy who wrote Curious George.
  • CounterWeight, vtornado, sbpb28314 and 1 other like this

#19 Sctom

Sctom

Lift Off

• Loc: Lancaster SC

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:34 PM

Hi Randi,
If you don’t already, get a subscription to Astronomy and/or Sky and Telescope. They will give you things to look for and that creates the fun in finding and seeing them. Of course you will never see anything like the photos in there but it is still a joy to see your way around the sky and all those Wow! Moments.
Enjoy
Tom

#20 Bree

Bree

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:13 PM

Whereas you said you have zero experience, remember, sometimes it's not so much what you have as how you use it.  This will come with time and practice and becoming familiar with your scope.  Take your time and don't get discouraged if it all doesn't fall in place right away.  And make sure your sights are set in well, and it only takes a small bump to knock them wayyy out of alignment.

#21 Rollo

Rollo

Viking 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

It might be a good idea to join a local astronomy club.   I did years ago and it helped me learn many things and made life much easier too.   Good luck !  smile.gif

• Jim T and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#22 CeeKay

CeeKay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:40 PM

Hi Randi -  another good book is "Turn Left At Orion", a reference that you can use throughout the year when searching for objects to view.

Sky Safari - excellent app for your phone or iPad

Welcome to CN

Chris

• rowdy388, Second Time Around, fallenstarseven and 1 other like this

#23 f74265a

f74265a

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:32 PM

Welcome, you sound like a wonderful mom. You made a great choice on the 10" Dob I think. I had one as well and they are great workhorse scopes. Looks like you get a 25mm and 10mm eyepiece. That should suit you for a bit. I found the most useful thing for my 10" Dob were some navigational aids; a Telrad finder, a right-angle correct-image 50mm finder scope, a planisphere for near your latitude and a star map like Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas. I was able to find anything my scope could reach with that combo of items.

Finder scope will be important as noted here . Finding what you want to look at can be frustrating and time consuming, especially with narrow field of view eyepieces.
A couple wider afov eyepieces are what I would add next.
It will take time to learn to use your purchase and get used to moving it around and setting up, etc. A healthy dose of patience is in order for starting out.
Also try to find pictures of what, realistically, images are likely to be in your scope so reality and expectations match.

#24 Waynosworld

Waynosworld

Mariner 2

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

Welcome Randi

I myself jumped in big time after getting a not so great used scope that did nothing for me except to want to buy something better, I went with a used 14.5" F4.5 truss DOB, it is taller than me, anyway I am resourceful guy, I made some of what I needed to collimate my scope, since I have a truss dob that makes it easier for me to collimate mine as I can look at where the returning laser is hitting the secondary mirror, that said you can make a sight tube and a collimation cap out of old 35mm film canisters and a cheap writing pen tube, my pen tube was a free pen from my bank made out of cardboard, but a laser is something that will make your life a lot easier, if your scope doesn't come with a laser you need to buy one, I bought a cheap one on ebay like in the photo below, the collimation cap made out of a 35mm film container with an eighth inch hole drilled in the center of it, the sight tube also made out of a 35mm container with the pen tube put through the center of it, and the cheap laser.

004.JPG

Here is the collimation cap upside down, I cut the bottom off.

005.JPG

Hopefully your mirror comes with a donut in the center like the one in my mirror in the photo below, if yours doesn't have one your going to need to put one on it, do not touch the mirror with your fingers, oils from your finger will get on the mirror, you only touch the mirror if your washing it and you do not need to do that right now.

008.JPG

Everything I just showed you made it possible to collimate my telescope good enough to see details on Mars surface on a good seeing night, when you can afford it a lightpipe might be a good investment to fine tune your collimation but I did fine without one myself.

You will likely need to buy a couple eyepieces, they can be very expensive, I have bought a couple of them in the classifieds here on this forum, all my favorite eyepieces are UWA(ultra wide angle), I found a Meade 6.7mm UWA on ebay for $120.00 shipped, I bought a 6mm televue Radian which is also a UWA type for around $150.00 shipped, but there are good eyepieces out there that are UWA that are way less money, and they are way cheaper in this forums classifieds, I also would buy a barlow lens, I believe this is the one I bought except for mine does not have the Celestron logo or say made in China on it.

https://www.ebay.com...CLK|clp:2334524

That 2X barlow I got was in a set with a 25mm, 10mm, and a 4mm eyepieces, I would never suggest buying the set because the 10mm or 4mm are worthless in my opinion, the 25mm and barlow were great but you already have a 25mm and 10mm eyepieces coming with your scope so all you want is the barlow, the barlow is alright, but that barlow lens it has is removable and makes my Meade 6.7mm eyepiece into 4mm eyepiece, which is great when the seeing is good, it will also turn your 25mm eyepiece into a 12.5mm with that barlow, and your 10mm into a 5mm eyepiece, but these eyepieces coming with your scope are likely not UWA and I don't want anything else anymore myself, I don't have to have my eye centered in the eyepiece, I can see everything at just about any angle which makes looking thru them a lot easier.

I am still under a $1000.00 in eyepieces and barlows barely, but you don't need to do what I am doing/did, I bought stuff that I didn't need because I don't use 2" eyepieces very often anymore and they are expensive, the 1.25" eyepieces are a lot cheaper and just as good if not better for looking at planets, I could make due with the used Meade 6.7mm UWA eyepiece with that barlow and be very happy but I am looking at the planets right now, I also have a used 2"/1.25" Meade 14mm UWA eyepiece, with them 2 eyepieces and the barlow I can see/find everything I want to right now.

I will repeat, you can find cheap eyepieces in the classifieds on this forum if you wait and are quick.

Edited by Waynosworld, 21 November 2020 - 10:44 PM.

#25 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:32 AM

You may some of the general information on astronomy, amateur astronomy, and observing in my post (#22) at https://www.cloudyni...mers/?p=5184287 useful, Randi.

An adjustable observing chair is a good thing to have.  The 82-degree 5.5mm Meade UWA is a fine wide-field eyepiece that will provided reasonably high-power views in your telescope.  The 70-degree 30mm APM 30MM UFF eyepiece is worth considering at some point to maximize your telescope's true field of view, which will make locating objects easier and which will be useful for observing objects that are large in apparent size.  The Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas is an inexpensive and very useful stellar atlas.

• GaryJCarter and Neverstoplookingup* like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, observing, equipment, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics