•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BRAND NEW to Astronomy - Seeking Advice Please

beginner observing equipment accessories
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:17 PM

Randi,

Welcome to CN ! You made a great decision on buying a 10" Dobsonian. A perfect sized scope, even for beginners.

You have already have gotten a ton of great advice. I will give you a simple list of items I purchased for my 10" Dob.

1) SkySafari Plus: an absolute must have purchase "IMO" . I am never under the star's without it!!!

2) Telrad: makes it easy to find your target

3) StarBound adjustable chair: your back will thank you !smile.gif

4) Book's: Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson

Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas- Jumbo edition.  A great star atlas for the beginner!!!

Good luck with your scope!

Clear Skies,

Bill

• GaryJCarter and Neverstoplookingup* like this

#27 Neverstoplookingup*

Neverstoplookingup*

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nor Cal - Sonoma County, California

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:05 PM

I am so grateful for all these replies.  I have so much information here to go from, THANK YOU all so MUCH!!!  I managed to reply to all of the PM's but I cannot YET reply to all of the posts.  I run a massive company and run all the payroll and HR and we are so busy with year end, especially with COVID. I am in school with finals approaching, this on top of all my kids homeschooling now, add in my new love and obsession with astronomy and all things sky I am a bit overwhelmed. 

I have been reading each of your replies through my email server as they came in over the last week, I have read each one carefully and made my attempts to absorb the information you all have given me.  It really is a bit like learning another language that you all speak and I don't.  I am trying.  I just wanted to thank you all. 

My scope is being delivered TODAY!  I just got the notice.  I ordered it from Woodland Hills, great company as far as I can tell, they were very helpful by phone and I could actually reach a real person.  I did pay for shipping but it was minimal and I did not have to worry about all talk of hundreds receiving a scope but no base or a base and no scope.  Both are set to deliver today.  I cannot wait to assemble everything. 

I have a list of things you all said I need and I am trying to narrow it down.  A very kind member here is sending me an eyepiece, (a 32 mm I believe), a fellow Dad and astronomer to "help my cause" and I am so grateful for that.  I would thank him by name but I am not sure he would want that.  Still, it means a lot.  So helpful.  I love this community.  

I have my list going: RACI, Barlow Lens, Telrad, sky atlas / sky safari... basics of what I took from the majority of posts here.  Made a more extensive list but these are, as I see it, the very base line basics of what I need.  I have more detailed notes, more specifics noted but generally I think that is what most of you are saying I really should get to get going out the gate.  Only questions I would have now, (there will be more):

Barlow brands matter?  2x, 3x?  The options are confusing and I am not sure.  

RACI is that for the viewing or for finding?  Or do some do a right angle for both?  I have not yet seen the scope so I am a bit clueless.  Actual newbie here.  ZERO experience.  I have never looked through a real scope.  No knowledge from experience whatsoever.  

Telrad brands matter?  Riser or not?  Is this in place of the finder it has or in addition and are the illuminated laser options better or something completely different?  Again, I have nothing to go off of.  I have never once used a real scope.  Please excuse my ignorance on the subject.  

I have a few books noted as well so thank you all for those suggestions. 

Thank you all again for your advice and guidance.  I must say, I don't understand the people in online forums complaining about the "space" these things take up, there is nothing greater I would rather have consuming my existence.  I cannot wait to see this thing taking up my living room ;) 

• JMP, lee14 and Justin Fuller like this

#28 river-z

river-z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:15 PM

RACI is that for the viewing or for finding?  Or do some do a right angle for both?  I have not yet seen the scope so I am a bit clueless.  Actual newbie here.  ZERO experience.  I have never looked through a real scope.  No knowledge from experience whatsoever.  

It's not for viewing.  It's just for finding.  If I recall correctly, your telescope comes with a straight through finder, which is fine.  But a right-angle finder is much more comfortable to look through.  Happily you can just give the stock finder a try and decide if you like it or not.  If you do, you're set.  If you don't, the RACI is very helpful.

#29 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:05 PM

Your scope has an 8x50 straight finder, like half a binocular.

I have an 8x50 RACI, right angle correct image, which is similar except that mine has a right angle to point the finder eyepiece at a more convenient angle. On a Dob the RACI is preferred but not required.

You can use them for observing, as you would use a binocular, but the primary use is as a finder.

I also added a Telrad to mine as a second finder. Each finder has its advantages an so make a good team.

I look at these two plus my low power/wide view 2" eyepiece as my finder trio having successively higher mag but narrower field of view.

Edited by aeajr, 25 November 2020 - 01:11 PM.

#30 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:18 PM

Barlow

If you have the budget, Tele Vue, Explore Scientific, and others are good choices. However I have had good experience with GSO at much lower cost.

I like the GSO 2x that have a removable Barlow element that gives 1.5x which I use with my Zoom eyepieces.

#31 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:24 PM

Telrad is the brand. You can go without a riser at first and add a 2" or 4" later. I have a 4" for mine but have never used it.

An alternative is the Rigel QuickFinder.

#32 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

Welcome to the online community here.

If you have a laptop available, take a look at the FREE download "Stellarium"  LINK.  It's a fantastic program.

If not already mentioned along with H A Rey I'd recommend looking for a copy of "NightWatch".

I've never been big on Barlowing eyepieces.  I also recommend an alternative finder, know as a 'red dot' (or the Telrad) as they are very simple and just an extension of 'tube sighting'.  At first try you'll need to get it set (aligned) for your scope but they make finding things and sighting them relatively simple and easy.  Instead of a Barlow I'd get another eyepiece, there and so many that are at least decent at many price points.

Consider buying used gear wherever you can, both here in the Shop and Swap and my favorite place called 'Astromart'.  Most of us take good care of our astro gear and it's a great way to save a little.  Often if you don't like or find useful you can turn around and sell for what you paid.

Your decision to start with a 10" is great as you'll actually see a lot !  When my daughter was young I'd often ask her and her friends to sketch what they saw at the eyepiece while taking turns at the eyepiece, helps hold their interest and have something to do while not actually gazing.

Again welcome to the online community here and best luck!

• GaryJCarter likes this

#33 fallenstarseven

fallenstarseven

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA, USA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:24 PM

Hi Randi -  another good book is "Turn Left At Orion", a reference that you can use throughout the year when searching for objects to view.

Sky Safari - excellent app for your phone or iPad

Welcome to CN

Chris

The first thing I have told everyone to buy is Turn Left at Orion.   It's a perfect match for your dob and is so well organized and presented.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, observing, equipment, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics