•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding autofocus capability to a Vixen ED81S

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:21 AM

I'm building an "annex" to my ROR that will be used for remote operation for DSO imaging.  This will include my AP 130mm GTX on a Mach2 mount.  I'd like to add a small refractor for very wide-field DSO imaging. In the past my Vixen ED81S served this role quite well.

Here is the problem.  If I am imaging remotely I won't be able to adjust focus. The AP 130mm GTX is setup with a Feather Touch Microfocuser that I can control with SGP.  However, I don't have that ability with the Vixen ED81S with its stock dual-speed manual focuser.

Is there a way to add an motorized focuser for the ED81S that I can control through the SGP autofocus routine?  I've looked around and haven't found one yet.

Thanks!

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:39 AM

This guy makes ASCOM focusers for anything.  I have one, like it.  One man operation, CNer, excellent customer service.

http://www.rigelsys....eppermotor.html

"Got a focuser that's not one of the ones listed on our website? We've probably already done it! With a couple of photos and a few measurements we can make a stepper motor kit that will fit your focuser at no additional cost"

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 November 2020 - 11:42 AM.

#3 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:33 PM

This is an excellent suggestion!  Many thanks. I was unaware of this operation and appreciate you bringing it to my attention.  I've already sent an email to him.

My backup plan involved a Moonlite focuser and stepper motor which is substantially more costly. 

Marty

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics