•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Watery eye syndrome

eyepieces observing optics
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 big eye

big eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:47 PM

I find it very annoying when I'm looking into the eyepiece and my eye begins to water it can give the impression of a double image or even out of focus effect then I try blinking to clear my eye and if that does not work I rub my eye witch at times makes the problem even worse. I think it is due to the cold air most of the time. Maybe getting a camera is the only way around this problem that is if the CCD does not tear up. Any suggestions does this happen to you.

• Augustus likes this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:35 PM

I’ve read it’s worse if you’re dehydrated and found drinking more water helps
  • big eye likes this

#3 big eye

big eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:48 PM

I’ve read it’s worse if you’re dehydrated and found drinking more water helps

Thanks for the tip I will give that a try and if it works there will be no more tears. Ian.

#4 flt158

flt158

Vanguard

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:58 PM

You might consider getting eye drops from your local chemist, big eye. 

Best regards, 

Aubrey. 

• jcj380 and big eye like this

#5 big eye

big eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:10 PM

You might consider getting eye drops from your local chemist, big eye. 

Best regards, 

Aubrey. 

Thank you and I will do that there are drops for dry eyes I will ask about your suggestion thanks again. Ian.

• flt158 and Augustus like this

#6 Atlantic Devil

Atlantic Devil

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:13 PM

I think that just this time of year with cold and dry weather will do it. I know i was dealing with it last night. best thing i found to do is just relax. When i'm staring so hard, i forget to blink! You just have to step back and give your eye a break on a regular basis.

• Augustus, DSOGabe and big eye like this

#7 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:37 PM

Yes, cold and dry weather can have that affect in my experience. For me, a bit of wind can make it worse.

• Augustus and big eye like this

#8 big eye

big eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

Yes, cold and dry weather can have that affect in my experience. For me, a bit of wind can make it worse.

Maybe something to setal your stomach will help.lol.gif Sorry I could not resist.

• MichoFreakshow likes this

#9 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:20 PM

Also, you might find a longer eye relief ocular may help.  Eye strain can cause this too and that can happen when you are just a bit out of focus (or collimation) or viewing through binoviewers.

Charlie

• ShaulaB likes this

#10 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:59 AM

Seasonal allergies can also cause watery eyes at seemingly random times according to my doc.  I take a one-dose-per-day OTC allergy med and it seems to help with mine when observing.

• flt158 likes this

#11 tommm

tommm

Viking 1

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

Yes, when I ride my bicycle or hike in cold weather my eyes and nose constantly drip, the more wind the more they drip.

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

It's your body's way of punishing you for loving astronomy....

#13 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:15 AM

My eyes are watering now ... I too have that syndrome .

I've got running nose and every time I eat a spicy meal , my eyes starts to water . But no watering while observing with scope .

#14 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:08 AM

I find it very annoying when I'm looking into the eyepiece and my eye begins to water it can give the impression of a double image or even out of focus effect then I try blinking to clear my eye and if that does not work I rub my eye witch at times makes the problem even worse. I think it is due to the cold air most of the time. Maybe getting a camera is the only way around this problem that is if the CCD does not tear up. Any suggestions does this happen to you.

Get a large rubber eyecup that seals your eye against the outside air

#15 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

I think that just this time of year with cold and dry weather will do it. I know i was dealing with it last night. best thing i found to do is just relax. When i'm staring so hard, i forget to blink! You just have to step back and give your eye a break on a regular basis.

Agree. I try to alternate eyes and usually will take a break every 20 minutes or so to avoid any kind of eye strain. Also wearing an eyepatch will help some in minimizing eye strain.

#16 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hobbs nm

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:39 PM

Try to blink more often.   At first it will be harder to remember to do it but I find if I purposely blink I get less watery eyes.  When we observe we keep our eye open trying to see but your body knows our eyes need moisture hence the overflow of tears.   I hope that helps.

#17 genedalton

genedalton

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

My eyes are constantly tearing.. one doctor prescribed drops which did not help. She later considered surgery on both lower lids.  Another doctor indicated that surgery would not help and prescribed Theratears ....basically a fish oil supplement.  That also does not work with my only solution being to frequently wipe especially under blustery conditions. Eye drops or this supplement might work for you.... the doctor even calls it "dry eye syndrome"  having temporarily blocked the duct that drains into the nose... figure that!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces, observing, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics