This is Barnard 33 the Horsehead Nebula, a dark nebula in the constellation of Orion. The dark nebula which forms the horse’s head is illuminated from behind by the bright emission nebula IC 434.
This is my first winter target and my first Orion target.
Right next to the Horsehead Nebula is the Flame Nebula and a small blue reflection nebula NGC 2023.
I took 49 frames at 300 seconds each. I had to throw away eight frames. I stacked the 41 light frames along with 50 dark and 60 flat frames in PixInsight.
The following processes were performed in PixInsight:
- Dynamic Crop
- Dynamic Background Extraction
- Background Neutralization
- Color Calibration
- Photometric Color Calibration
- MultiScale Linear Transform
- Histogram Transformation
- Curves Transformation (X2 with a range mask. Inverted mask for the background and then non inverted for the target)
- Color Saturation
- Morphological Transformation (Generated StarMask using default settings)
- Local Histogram Equalization (Performed with a range mask)
Once I found what I liked, I saved the files and went to Photoshop. I played around with the levels, vibrance, and saturation a bit. I then ran Topaz AI DeNoise. This is an amazing plugin that works like magic.
- Telescope: Explore Scientific ED127 Air-Spaced Triplet Apochromatic Refractor
- Camera: ASI2600MC Pro
- Guide Scope: Orion ST80
- Guide Camera: ASI290MM Mini. Dithering every image at 1 pixel each time.
- Mount: iOptron CEM60
- Software: NINA for image acquisition. PixInsight used for stacking and editing. Imported to Photoshop for final touchup and watermarking.
- Other Accessories: AstroZap Dew Heater, Starizona ApexED 0.65 Focal Reducer/Field Flattener, MoonLite CFL 2.5" Focuser, High Res Stepper Motor, V3 Controller, Pegasus Astro Power Box Advance
- Filters: Optolong L-eNhance 2"
- Exposure Time: 3 hour 25 minutes (41 x 300 seconds) -10°C.
- Exposure Start: 01:25
- Date: November 09, 2020
- Location: Voorhees State Park, NJ, United States
- GPS Coordinates: Lat. 40.68187, Long. -74.89797
- Temperature: 58°F/14.4°C
- Bortle Dark-Sky Scale: 4
Edited by rupeshjoy143, 21 November 2020 - 02:03 PM.