•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoresen 7x35’s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alder1

alder1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

I inherited these binoculars from my dad, he used them on his sailboat. They’re made in Japan and are at least 30 years old. I have a friend who’s interested in looking at the night sky and I cleaned them up for her. In checking the collimation I was surprised to see how sharp the image was. Very clear and precise, in short, dandy binos. I may keep them. :-) Anyone ever heard of them?

#2 WALL.E

WALL.E

Ranger 4

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:01 AM

It appears that Thoresen was an importer with offices in the United States and Canada.

I freely confess I have never heard the name before.

Some advertisements from the 1950's claim that they were importers of "fine" German binoculars although no manufacturing source is mentioned.

Making an assumption (risky), perhaps they also imported Japanese binoculars as you claim yours are.

Do you see any JE or JB numbers stamped on it?

Photos would be wonderful!

I would not get my hopes too high that they are of tremendous value, but you claim that they work very well and that is one of the most important factors.

Appreciate them!

Eric

#3 alder1

alder1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:55 AM

Here’s a picture. The number, which is hard to see, is 124857. On the front, on the little doo-dad you remove to attach a tripod brace, it says Made in Japan. 
Yeah, I don’t imagine it has much value, but it’s really an excellent binocular. I had it out this morning for a cruse around Orion, Canis Major, and Puppis, and it provided clear views of the DSO’s there. I’m hoping it will encourage my friend to explore binocular astronomy. 75E2154B-1831-4A3B-BE67-DAAD01F14809.jpeg

#4 WALL.E

WALL.E

Ranger 4

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:36 PM

Undoubtedly Japanese.

They actually appear to be of quite decent construction.

I can't see forward of the prism housings, but it surely appears to be a solid body style.

Please do take a small flashlight and search around the bridges and frame to see if you can find some small markings with a "JB" and a number behind it. This would tell which Japanese company assembled the binocular. A "JE" number would indicate which company made the component parts.

I suspect by what I see in the photo, the body style, the eyepieces, I feel sure that those are much older than 30 years.

Likely 50+ years I think.

If the images are as good as you say, whether you or your friend, somebody should keep those and respect them.

Eric

#5 alder1

alder1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for your time and knowledge, Eric. I couldn’t find any other numbers on the body of the binos. And you’re right about the age; I remember that we had these binoculars on the sloop Shango, which puts the date at the late 1960’s. Sometimes I don’t realize how old I actually am! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• B161119C-6054-48E0-8266-AEAA0302529D.jpeg

#6 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

I think they may very well predate the jb/je numbers period. The knurling of the eyepiece parts is more typical of the earlier period.                                                                                                                       Regards, Pat

• WALL.E likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics