•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Heavy Duty Tripod Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 weis14

weis14

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:19 PM

I have a Losmandy GM811G with the lightweight tripod. While this was (and is) an excellent combination with my Stowaway and AT92, I recently bought a TEC160 and this mount and tripod are at their limit with the new scope. Long term, the plan is to upgrade to a heavier mount, which will probably an AP Mach 2 assuming I come up on the list next year. In the meantime, I think upgrading the tripod makes a lot of sense.

The obvious choice is a Losmandy HD tripod, but I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking other options. Would a Berlebach planet be better? Some sort of portable pier? I travel to dark skies, so something that folds for transport is preferred.

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:09 PM

Another less expensive option is the iOptron Tri-Pier $598 Max payload of 220 lbs.

Easily handles my 25 lbs C9.25 with 20 lbs counterweights on the left!

Given the long length of the TEC 160, I belive you will need to add the Mini Pier to clear the legs....still very stable.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200724_154959022-a.jpg

Edited by Xeroid, 21 November 2020 - 10:12 PM.

#3 weis14

weis14

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:00 AM

Thanks Xeroid. I'll have to check that pier out.

#4 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:41 AM

I use two tripods with my AP 155 edfs, which is mounted on a DM6.   Both are rock solid.

This one is heavy, so I keep it on wheely bars and roll it out: https://www.buyteles...-mounts-164267 

When I want something more portable, I use a Rob Miller 36M.  Unfortunately, as you probably know, these are no longer available new, but they appear from time to time on *stromart.

Best of luck to you.  I used to own a TEC 140, which I loved and sold only to raise money for the 155.  I'm sure the 160 will be a pleasure.

#5 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:44 AM

p.s.  Just to be clear, the Takahashi is the more heavy duty model: weight 34 lbs, capacity 1000 lbs.

I use two tripods with my AP 155 edfs, which is mounted on a DM6.   Both are rock solid.

This one is heavy, so I keep it on wheely bars and roll it out: https://www.buyteles...-mounts-164267 

When I want something more portable, I use a Rob Miller 36M.  Unfortunately, as you probably know, these are no longer available new, but they appear from time to time on *stromart.

Best of luck to you.  I used to own a TEC 140, which I loved and sold only to raise money for the 155.  I'm sure the 160 will be a pleasure.

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Vostok 1

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:12 AM

How about Parallax Instruments portable pier.  Does not fold, 10" diameter, legs come off.   If you get the FHD  by Losmandy,  use some sort of neoprene rubber at the bottom of the legs so the leg does not hit the pavement or cut into the dirt and sink       Joe

#7 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:45 AM

I have a Losmandy GM811G with the lightweight tripod. While this was (and is) an excellent combination with my Stowaway and AT92, I recently bought a TEC160 and this mount and tripod are at their limit with the new scope. Long term, the plan is to upgrade to a heavier mount, which will probably an AP Mach 2 assuming I come up on the list next year. In the meantime, I think upgrading the tripod makes a lot of sense.

The obvious choice is a Losmandy HD tripod, but I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking other options. Would a Berlebach planet be better? Some sort of portable pier? I travel to dark skies, so something that folds for transport is preferred.

If you plan on a Mach 2, then pick a tripod that AP recommends for that mount and that can be easily converted to the M2 when it comes.

HERE is a link to the AP site and the tripods that they suggest for the M2 mount. Personally, and if you can handle the weight, I would consider the Losmandy HD tripod for that TEC 160.

Bob

#8 Mikoka

Mikoka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Germany

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:36 AM

Berlebach Planet with Losmandy type head.

Greetings  Michael

#9 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

A lot of that is "It depends..."

If you were to stick with the Losmandy mounts, your additions could be used across the line.

You could get the HD tripod, and an EX12 extension, and have your portable pier.

If you wanted to, you could get the G11G Dec to get an extra 10 pounds of capacity. (not something I feel would be practical at this point, not something I would do.)

But the most practical would be to get a Titan Model, where you would get the HD tripod, and a mount that is top of the line. Other parts and features could interchange in the future.

I see the TEC 160 is 24 pounds. Do you plan on a heavy load of photographic equipment? Your 811 has 26 pounds left, a G11G would have 36 pounds left, and a Titan would have 51 pounds left, at full recommended Photographic Instrument Load.

You can see what I did with my GM811GHD in this picture.

Losmandy 1w

My deal is I have to carry my mount out and back in each night. So I modularized it into easy to handle chunks. Normally my HD tripod remains setup on my leveling adjustment blocks, and covered. The rest comes indoors. (Safe, sound, climate controlled, under the CFO's watchful eye. lol.gif )
No balancing acts, or counterweight removal needed.

Chunks W

Tripod To extension close Up W

The Bottom Line? Maybe a second mount (your choice), and have your GM811G for the smaller telescope, and a monster mount for the Monster Telescope.
No screwing around. You may see an engine hoist in your future, for assembly.

#10 weis14

weis14

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:01 PM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful comments. At the moment, I'm not planning on mounting a lot of photography equipment on the 160. I'm mostly a visual observer, but dabble some in EAA. Thus. I'll remain well within the GM811G's weight capacity.

The issue I'm having is with vibrations, which will probably be addressed with the heavier tripod. The comment about a heavier mount is only if I decide to take a deeper plunge into AP. I'd probably start my AP journey with my Stowaway anyways.

I'm going to post a wanted ad and see what I shake loose. The Losmandy HD probably makes the most sense, but I love the look of the Berlebach (I have a UNI24 for my M2C) and I can't see ever exceeding the capacity of that Takahashi tripod.

#11 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:24 PM

If you travel with your setup, the Avalan TPod series (110 or 130) are a great option. They are lightweight but incredibly rigid and will support up to 220 lb wt. Much less expensive if you buy from teleskop-express in Germany. I have the 110, I like the lower height for imaging, less distance to heave the scopes up to.

You might also look around for something like a used Meade Giant Field tripod - they are quite heavy duty. If you can get your hands on a pier from an HDX110 / EQ-8, I would think that would work well also, although these are a little hard to find. But these last two options are far less portable than the TPod. 

#12 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:45 PM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful comments. At the moment, I'm not planning on mounting a lot of photography equipment on the 160. I'm mostly a visual observer, but dabble some in EAA. Thus. I'll remain well within the GM811G's weight capacity.

The issue I'm having is with vibrations, which will probably be addressed with the heavier tripod. The comment about a heavier mount is only if I decide to take a deeper plunge into AP. I'd probably start my AP journey with my Stowaway anyways.

I'm going to post a wanted ad and see what I shake loose. The Losmandy HD probably makes the most sense, but I love the look of the Berlebach (I have a UNI24 for my M2C) and I can't see ever exceeding the capacity of that Takahashi tripod.

Those Berlebach's are absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. And may be your best next move.

It would sure look great under that big telescope.

I was able to get more stability out of my flyweight AVX by hanging an 11 pound weight under it with heavy cord.

You might try it as an experiment and see if it gains you some stability.

It dampened my problem enough to make a noticeable improvement for me.

It looked hokey, but it worked. And since I'm a backyard guy, nobody poked fun at me. lol.gif

#13 weis14

weis14

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:36 PM

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  I found a Losmandy HD tripod (the old version) that I can pick up in person on Friday.  It won't be as elegant as the Berlebach, but it is a lot easier on my wallet.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics