•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New 10Micron mount

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

I just got a new 10Micron GM1000 mount, and I'm learning to use it. 

The control box is its own computer with a local IP address (currently connected to my LAN using ethernet).

I have installed the ASCOM driver and the VirtualKeypad on Windows 10.

I can ping the mount from Windows on an indoor laptop, and have entered the IP address in the VirtualKeypad.

When I attempt to connect I get a message that says "Connecting" on the VirtualKeypad. After about 30 seconds an error pops up that says "Unable to connect."

Anybody know how to get the mount to connect to Windows (or mac or linux) software via ethernet/IP?

• R Botero likes this

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

For the money you spent on that mount,  I would call 10 Micron and let them provide some service.

• Hobby Astronomer and niccoc1603 like this

#3 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

I think there are only a couple of 10Micron dealers in the US, and those are known to have excellent after purchase customer support.  Have you contacted your dealer and asked for guidance ?

#4 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:32 PM

I will call Tolga on Monday.  He's incredibly helpful!

In the meantime I am still learning the mount.  Working with just the hand controller for now.

I think there are only a couple of 10Micron dealers in the US, and those are known to have excellent after purchase customer support.  Have you contacted your dealer and asked for guidance ?

• tolgagumus likes this

#5 magsterone

magsterone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mobile, AL

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:04 AM

Go to the 10u forum as there is a lot of info regarding your issue.

#6 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:41 AM

The issue is *most* likely a network configuration mistake. Check that the IP address assigned is on the  *same* sub-net as the rest of your network. That is pay attention to the sub-net mask value and the assigned gateway address.

A cross check is to set the mount to ask for an IP address via DHCP (tick the dhcp option on the real hand controller) - one you know what IP address was assigned (you such be able to see from the real hand pad) then see if you can connect via the virtual keypad.

Also did you try to connect the 10uM clock sync app?

If you are not sure can you tell us the assigned IP, subnet mask and gateway address of the real keypad and also tell us the *internal* (LAN) IP address of your network router (not the external WAN address - you dont want to tell us that). We can go from there.

• psandelle, airscottdenning and mworion like this

#7 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:06 AM

Thank you!

Sure enough, "network configuration mistake" (a.k.a. "operator error").

Rebooted control box and router, checked IP address, and all is well with VirtKeyPad and Windows now.

Next challenge: getting INDI driver to work via IP ... but that's a different post I think.

The issue is *most* likely a network configuration mistake. Check that the IP address assigned is on the  *same* sub-net as the rest of your network. That is pay attention to the sub-net mask value and the assigned gateway address.

A cross check is to set the mount to ask for an IP address via DHCP (tick the dhcp option on the real hand controller) - one you know what IP address was assigned (you such be able to see from the real hand pad) then see if you can connect via the virtual keypad.

Also did you try to connect the 10uM clock sync app?

If you are not sure can you tell us the assigned IP, subnet mask and gateway address of the real keypad and also tell us the *internal* (LAN) IP address of your network router (not the external WAN address - you dont want to tell us that). We can go from there.

• psandelle likes this

#8 mworion

mworion

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

Hi Scott,

you have your mount, congrats! If you have some issues with INDI setup, please let me know as I also use an INDI setup in my environment. IP in driver should be no problem as you just have to config the driver to IP and enter the IP address.

Michel

#9 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:16 PM

Thank you!

Sure enough, "network configuration mistake" (a.k.a. "operator error").

I did the same thing on my first 10Micron.

Paul

#10 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Michel, but the "Ethernet" toggle in my INDI driver does nothing at all. Clicking the button circled in your post on the INDI forum has no effect. Only "Serial" can be selected.

I may try again with a different bistro (eg, RaspPi OS), but I'm flummoxed.

Hi Scott,

you have your mount, congrats! If you have some issues with INDI setup, please let me know as I also use an INDI setup in my environment. IP in driver should be no problem as you just have to config the driver to IP and enter the IP address.

Michel

#11 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

Congratulations on your new mount. Enjoy!!!

HA

#12 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Michel, but the "Ethernet" toggle in my INDI driver does nothing at all. Clicking the button circled in your post on the INDI forum has no effect. Only "Serial" can be selected.

I may try again with a different bistro (eg, RaspPi OS), but I'm flummoxed.

The 'Connectivity' chapter at https://indilib.org/.../10-micron.html shows :

• connection mode to ethernet
  • server address ( I set gm2000hps here as I made a local DNS entry for the mount. You can type the mounts' IP address)
  • server port 3490

That should get you going.

• psandelle likes this

#13 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:38 PM

I was able to get this working as advertised in kubuntu 20.04.1 on the R Pi.

Now trying a different install of ubuntu-mate. kubuntu works ok but is pretty slow on the pi

The 'Connectivity' chapter at https://indilib.org/.../10-micron.html shows :

• connection mode to ethernet
  • server address ( I set gm2000hps here as I made a local DNS entry for the mount. You can type the mounts' IP address)
  • server port 3490

That should get you going.

• psandelle likes this

#14 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:28 PM

For the OP: if you haven't already, consider registering on the 10Micron forum. There are a couple of incredibly useful posts (under the Blog subforum) by one of their developers that go into details on the following topics (I'm copying the post titles):

• Polar alignment and residual field rotation
  • Pointing models, synchronization, refinement
  • Network connection
  • Modeling and pointing: J2000.0 and Jnow coordinates
  • Clock synchronization

And enjoy the mount!

• airscottdenning and Raginar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics