•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would this work for flats?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DRK73

DRK73

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, United States

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:01 PM

My routine for taking flats is kind of cumbersome and I'm thinking about getting a flat panel to do them inside at my convenience. I seldom disassemble my optical train so dust motes are not really something I'm worried about - mainly just want to get well-calibrated flats.

I'm looking at this thing from B&H. It should work, right? The ones designed for astro seem expensive for what they are or (such as with the Gerd Neumann ones) use a 12V connection that doesn't connect to any of my power supplies. 

Alternatively (for another $50 or so) there's a Pegasus Astro flat panel that'll still work with all of my OTAs. 

Any thoughts?

#2 imtl

imtl

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: On earth

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:06 PM

Expensive. You get the same thing for 30$ on Amazon.

• aa5te and DRK73 like this

#3 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:07 PM

I use this (link below; $106 less than the one you linked to) without issue; uses a 5V USB connection for power. Some have mentioned uneven lighting with it; I diffuse with 2 layers of white t-shirt and move the panel all around to ensure even illumination in the final master flat file. I've had no issues with it whatsoever, and I really haven't noticed any uneven illumination.

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07H7FLJX1/

Edited by aa5te, 21 November 2020 - 08:08 PM.

• DRK73 likes this

#4 AZ Maverick

AZ Maverick

Viking 1

• Loc: Prescott, Arizona

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:26 PM

I also bought one of the sub $50 Huion light pads from Amazon and it works well.

But beware of the ones that have a metal underlay used for holding the paper on the light panel with magnets because they have a hole pattern that can show up in the flats.

Another issue with some of these is that even at the minimum setting they tend to be too bright so you may need to place some printer paper or neutral density sheets to tame down the brightness a bit.

Edited by AZ Maverick, 21 November 2020 - 08:28 PM.

• DRK73 likes this

#5 DRK73

DRK73

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, United States

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:31 PM

Thanks all! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics