•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution + Wedge + StarSense + Skysafari Pro

Celestron mount beginner
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 changks

changks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:25 PM

Hello,

I have tried several nights with the wedge and star sense on Celestron Evo 6. I tried to auto align the telescope with the Skysafari Pro on an iPad. It ends up with an error message: not enough stars, but in fact there are many stars in the sky. 

Here is my step (that does not work):

Step 1. connect to Evolution's Wi-Fi (Celestron Wi-Fi )
Step 2. select Equatorial GoTo (Fork)
Step 3. select Align Using StarSense Auto
Step 4. enable StarSense Wedge Align (I also enable wedge on the hand controller)
Step 5. check the two marks and the optical tube points to S
Step 6. Connect and Align on Skysafari Pro

Please let me know where I have messed up.

Thank you for your help.

ps. StarSense works fine without the wedge. I have updated the latest firmware.

Edited by changks, 22 November 2020 - 10:35 AM.

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:35 AM

Back in December 2018 Celestron completely rewrote the All Star Polar Alignment (ASPA) for wedge routine to eliminate the infamous 'Starsense on wedge bug' and released new firmware for the Starsense HC. This also works fine with Celestron's CPWI software for PC.

By contrast, the SkySafari and SkyPortal APPs are offered by Curriculum Simulation, and are not Celestron products. At that time, the also failing wedge align routine in these APPs was NOT updated. I have not read anywhere since that this has been more recently remedied, but you will need to put a support ticket into Curriculum Simulation (not Celestron) if you can't get guidance in here. But I suspect it might not be fixed.

The regular Starsense hand controller process now requires you to do a Starsense Auto-Align first, then a ASPA where you will adjust wedge knobs to eliminate the Polar Alignment Error, then finish with a Starsense Auto align. I think that the APPs might still have only the former (now redundant) wedge align. I would initially try with Starsense HC to check everything  is working. Then that narrows it down to a problem with the APP' wedge routine. 

If you want to use a wedge, you might possibly be limited to Starsense HC or CPWI. The latter works fine on a laptop (PC) and can embrace Celestron WiFi. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 22 November 2020 - 02:37 AM.

#3 audioengr

audioengr

Messenger

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:27 PM

I use the HC to do auto alignment and then SharpCap or ASPA to do the polar align.  SharpCap is easier as I only have to mess with the wedge and not the slewing controls and the wedge.  Also, I only need to watch the numbers on the screen rather than trying to center a star with both wedge controls.  The two wedge adjustments are more independent with SharpCap IME.

Edited by audioengr, 24 November 2020 - 02:28 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, mount, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics