•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Nebula (M 42) - Afocal Projection - Smartphone and C8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maurizio

Maurizio

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

Several years ago I had some experiences with afocal projection, in particular for taking pictures of the moon and the planets with my old 114 newton. A few months ago I motorized my Celestron C8. Since I have not a camera suitable for deep sky imaging (currently I use my C8 only for planetary imaging and visual observing), I experimented with afocal projection using a smartphone. I was quite skeptical about obtaining any interesting result. However, the seeing was bad for Mars and so I tried... hmm.gif

The obtained result have surprised me jawdrop.gif . Obviously it is far from the quality of the pictures that can be seen here taken with more "usual" methods, however I'm quite satisfied. In particular considering the usage of a smartphone and 8 seconds long shots (and a very simple eyepiece).

I don't know whether M42 is the only deep sky object that can be successfully photographed with this technique (given its brightness). May be also M27, do you have any suggestions?

Moreover I'm quite doubtful concerning the white balance level to set in the smartphone (in kelvin). What do you think is the correct value for deep sky imaging?

Here the image:

https://flic.kr/p/2k95DGN

Afocal Projection with Smartphone, average of 14 frames

Smartphone: LG G4 (16 megapixel at F/1.8)
Eyepiece: Celestron SMA 25mm + Universal Cell Phone Adapter
Telescope: Celestron C8 (203 F10 SC Telescope) + 0.63x Focal reducer
Mount: EQ5

Elaboration: GIMP, FastStone Image Viewer

Frames details:
2 frames 8sec ISO   400
7 frames 8sec ISO   800
5 frames 8sec ISO 1500

Edited by Maurizio, 21 November 2020 - 08:34 PM.

• Scott Mitchell, Jerry Lodriguss, deepwoods1 and 3 others like this

#2 MarMax

MarMax

Messenger

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

You should check out the Smartphone Astrophotography thread. The link puts you at post #1229 which is a good place to start. I've not tried stacking with DSOs. I only take individual pictures and you can check my gallery for examples, including M42. I like a wider field for M42, 1600 ISO and 15 to 30 second exposure with my Galaxy S10.

• Maurizio and vtornado like this

#3 Maurizio

Maurizio

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:02 AM

Thank you for the precious suggestion MarMax waytogo.gif , I will continue this discussion there #1353 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics