•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M81 up close and personal- C14 Edge

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:42 AM

It was a pretty miserable saturday- murky, cold & raining. I had that sinking no astronomy feeling- you know the one I mean.

At 2.00AM Sunday morning I happened to glance out of the window and the Sky was really clear- I mean unusually transparent for my region and quite dark.

I knew that the local group galaxies were high- M81 & M82 were nearly on the Meridian. I swung the C14 into action.

I have always wanted to capture M81- but either it was never well placed or the weather was not co-operating.

The image I managed to capture came out good for my conditions-  I'm probably Bortle 8 at best.

I took 12 RGB 3 minute subs in each channel and 22 3 minute L subs. All at 2x2 bin on the ASI6200 with Baader LRGB filters. C14 Edge at F11.

A larger image is posted here https://www.astrobin.com/380v2s/

It is a shame that I can't position my camera sensor to suit as it slightly cropped the galaxy however when rotated it kind of gives the effect of falling in which I really like.

As always let me know what you think of the image

Best wishes

Mark

........stay safe in these troubled times.

M81_CROP_CN.jpg

• Jim Thommes, StephenW, Magellanico and 39 others like this

#2 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:53 AM

Nice image. Tight core too. I’m almost more impressed you can take 3 min subs in bottle 8. In my neck of the woods, that’s a white washed out image unless I got darn near narrowband
  • elmiko and pyrasanth like this

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:37 AM

Nice image. Tight core too. I’m almost more impressed you can take 3 min subs in bottle 8. In my neck of the woods, that’s a white washed out image unless I got darn near narrowband

Whilst I am in Bortle 8 my garden has high sided walls & my telescope is in a corner which helps a bit. There are very wide changes in Sky brightness. I get the darkest sky after a rain storm which happened last night.

• elmiko likes this

#4 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:38 AM

Always impressed what people lost from such light polluted skies. Now the next thing to overcome will be the massive influx of satellites being put into orbit!
  • ShaulaB likes this

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:43 AM

This turned out great Mark!

• pyrasanth likes this

#6 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:11 AM

Very nice!

One bonus of your camera orientation is that you got UGC5336 showing very nicely.  Well done!

• Scott Mitchell and pyrasanth like this

#7 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:44 PM

Thank you all for the kind comments. I face the challenges with a smile- the hard work does eventually pay off.

• elmiko and SkyHunter1 like this

#8 SkyHunter1

SkyHunter1

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island NY

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:23 PM

Thank you all for the kind comments. I face the challenges with a smile- the hard work does eventually pay off.

I think its a shot like this that keeps most of us going in this hobby... So many challenges, but when you have those nights where you get great data and a shot you're proud of is the result it makes all the headache worth it. It rejuvenates you and keeps you going and forgetting the nights it didn't go so well, or not at all...

Excellent work!

Regards,

Skyhunter1

• elmiko, ShaulaB and pyrasanth like this

#9 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:49 PM

I have removed several posts from this thread which devolved into bickering and mutual ad-hominem attacks. The posts didn't have to take that direction--it all started rather innocently and then one slight led to another and so on.

I would like to remind everyone a few things, all parts of the "play nice" spirit:

1) When someone asks for criticism, please try to be gentle *even if the poster made no such requirement*. Remember that standards differ. 

2) When someone makes an honest if apparently over-critical comment, it's sometimes best to ignore it. It may well have been made in good faith. It may also be wrong. It's only an opinion. 

3) If someone steps outside the bounds of civility, do NOT step out of bounds yourself. Post a moderator alert, and happily browse other threads pending resolution. 

4) No poster "owns" a thread on CN. If you post, you accept that any member in good standing may reply, as long as it's done in the "play nice" spirit and stays within the TOS. 

Thank you, and let's go back to admiring/discussing the image posted in a pleasant way. 

• John Miele, John Gauvreau, elmiko and 2 others like this

#10 EhJHornig

EhJHornig

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:04 PM

I absolutely love these images of galaxies up close, of which we normally see wider shots of. Really changes the perspective in a fresh way...great work :)
  • ShaulaB and pyrasanth like this

#11 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:12 PM

I absolutely love these images of galaxies up close, of which we normally see wider shots of. Really changes the perspective in a fresh way...great work smile.gif

The C14 at 4 metres focal length gives this perspective out of the box- however you then enter a world of pain with guiding requirements and all the equipment to match. I would estimate that I must have spent £50K on the equipment I have and too be honest the spending can go on infinetly because there is always some desireable new gadget.

#12 nfotis

nfotis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:14 PM

Very nice 👍
Looks like a nice future target for my C9.25.
You are tempting me to spend more money for a dedicated monochrome sensor and filters etc.

N.F.

#13 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:57 PM

Very nice
Looks like a nice future target for my C9.25.
You are tempting me to spend more money for a dedicated monochrome sensor and filters etc.

N.F.

I know that feeling too well.smile.gif

#14 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:46 PM

Very nice.  Looks 3D to me.  I see that top spiral arm rising up out of the plane of the galaxy and extending upwards.

• pyrasanth likes this

#15 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:35 AM

Very nice.  Looks 3D to me.  I see that top spiral arm rising up out of the plane of the galaxy and extending upwards.

I have that impression as well- it felt I was being grabbed by the center black hole and was being pulled in

#16 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

Congratulations for a wonderful image! The close-up perspective is truly awesome.

Michael

• pyrasanth likes this

#17 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:13 PM

Congratulations for a wonderful image! The close-up perspective is truly awesome.

Michael

Thanks Michael- its a truly wonderful Galaxy- I'm so glad it is part of local group and being available all year you can just keep on practicing your skills all year round. I need to work on the stars but currently I'm more than happy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics