•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Budget binos with decent clear glass 100 or less ?

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

Hi all,

I was looking for some used binos for general use and maybe a larger 15 or 20x pair for use at one spot.

It seems I have been dreaming, ebay etc full of used counterfiets or cheap copies all seem to be above 50au.

Went looking for some new ones, seems many Tasco, Bushnell, Nikon, Olympus etc can be bought for around 100.....BUT....covid has meant most not available.....shelves are empty in a lot of places.

I am open to some links you have for good well known budget binos from os....if they have stock...

I may even post some links of local shops with multiple choices, would like to hear experiences with any of them.....

#2 WALL.E

WALL.E

Ranger 4

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:50 AM

Consider an Oberwerk 12X60?

#3 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:23 PM

Check out the Oberwerk website. They have a LW (light weight) series that offers good low cost values in binoculars. I've been satisfied with mine. Good luck with your choice.

#4 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:32 AM

I will have a look and see if that brand ships to Australia by anyone and the ship cost......

#5 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:36 AM

I went to one local outdoor store yesterday, they had about 12 different pairs listed as in store.

Tasco, Bushnell and others....

Go in, and they had only 3 types, one I know is childrens junk, the 10 dollar ebay eqv, another called wanderer in plastic wrap so you cannot look at them, and a brand going by a well known magazine, nat geo. The last ones actually did not look terrible, about 50US eqv.

Went to another retailer, they say they carry Olympus, Nikon, Pentax etc, all they had were the 10 dollar junk toys,,,,sigh.

Both places said no stock, said that a lot of stock on order and 200day wait....glad I am not a retailer, they may be open, but not much to sell, thanks Covid for stopping the world :)

#6 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:36 AM

A few Aussie options:

For "budget" new stock, you could try Matthew Lovell in Adelaide. His website isn't the best (!), but he has lots of strange things in stock and it would be worthwhile to give him a call. http://www.telescope...ular_25x100.htm

Andrews Communications are usually very helpful: http://www.andrewsco...m.au/binoculars Again, their website leaves a lot to be desired so give them a call. 

You could give Claude a ring, if you don't mind a long chat.  ;)  

http://www.astronomy...m.au/index.html

He is the Aussie Takahashi dealer and he operates from Cleve in SA, but he has a lot of miscellaneous stock and may have something. 

...and of course there is the Used section at IceinSpace. http://www.iceinspac...isplay.php?f=27

Lots of great deals there.

All the best,

Dean

#7 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:18 AM

I never could justify spending mega bucks for another 5% gain in performance.  Someone in one of my classes bought this 15X70 Celestron Skymaster from B&H for $69 and it was such a nice binoc that everyone in the class got one.  Me too.  And I recommend it to subsequent classes even if the price has edged up.  Good performance with no color.  Clean.  Lightweight so that it can be easily handheld if you're using a strap brace.  And inexpensive.

https://www.bhphotov...arch=yes&sts=ma

#8 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:56 PM

Any thoughts on these Tascos.....

Please view this ad:

Tasco 10 x 50 binoculars,
https://www.gumtree....roid_VIP_sticky

#9 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:16 PM

You could try Orion.

They ship to Australia and have quite a few options under $100

Personally.....I would choose Oberwerk if they meet your shipping criteria. 

Edited by sonny.barile, 23 November 2020 - 06:18 PM.

#10 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:35 PM

B&H do ship here and have used them before....

Oberwerk or the celestions above ?

I will see what else bnh have later tonight....

#11 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:38 PM

Some of these larger magnification binos could double as a spotting scope for 50 and 100 yard ranges.....

Are any of the zoom binos any good at all, or best stick with fixed and buy dedicated spot scope....

#12 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:53 PM

Some of these larger magnification binos could double as a spotting scope for 50 and 100 yard ranges.....

Are any of the zoom binos any good at all, or best stick with fixed and buy dedicated spot scope....

I have read only bad things about zoom binoculars.......but I can not say I have ever peered through any...

Edited by sonny.barile, 23 November 2020 - 06:53 PM.

#13 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:56 PM

" Are any of the zoom binoculars any good at all?"

NO!

NO!

NO!

• Albie, 71North, WALL.E and 1 other like this

#14 DrJ1

DrJ1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:49 PM

I never could justify spending mega bucks for another 5% gain in performance.  Someone in one of my classes bought this 15X70 Celestron Skymaster from B&H for $69 and it was such a nice binoc that everyone in the class got one.  Me too.  And I recommend it to subsequent classes even if the price has edged up.  Good performance with no color.  Clean.  Lightweight so that it can be easily handheld if you're using a strap brace.  And inexpensive.

https://www.bhphotov...arch=yes&sts=ma

I went to a binocular sale at a rare telescope store several years ago and they had the Celestron Skymaster 15x70 and 12x70 on sale for about $70.  There were several of each model on the sale table and I carefully evaluated them using my B&L Discoverer 10x50 as a reference standard.  The 15x70s were good, but there was variation in sweet spot size.  I tried the 12x70 and the sweet spot was larger and more symmetrical than any of the 15x70s.  Furthermore, the 12x70 rivaled my excellent B&L for center sharpness.  I bought that 12x70.  I had a friend who wanted a 12x70 and I returned several days later and none of the 12x70s was as good as the pair I bought.  Celestron can make (or have made) some nice optics for an excellent price but I like to see the actual pair I'm buying.  I recognize that my eyes are part of the optical chain and it is possible that another individual may find a pair sharper than the pair I like.  DrJ1.

#15 michaelcaba

michaelcaba

Lift Off

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:05 PM

I have used the Celestron 15x70 Skymasters previously. They are under $100 and pretty good.

Mike Caba

#16 sunrag

sunrag

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

My Celestron 15x70 came severely out of collimation. It was too much of a hassle to send back and get another one as i was told that this is very common. So i ended up collimating it myself, but it is still not as sharp as i would like. 

I also have a Zhumell 25x100. I am quite happy with the views. It is heavy and you would need a sturdy tripod. Also the straight thru eyepieces is hard on the neck. So i am thinking of using a first surface mirror in the front and look at its reflected image through the bino instead.

Edited by sunrag, 23 November 2020 - 09:15 PM.

#17 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:38 AM

Have you looked  at the simmons prosports 10x50 - pretty basic  10x50  but it is reliable- that's something to be said for a mass market  big box retail product- reasonably cheap (though with BK7 prisms - boohoo). A useful tool. I see that amazon AU  list it as available.   Regards, Pat

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics