•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA for Macs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 david.shadrach

david.shadrach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:36 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone know if a Mac based package is under development or planned for the future? BTW I have no intention of switching to Windows.

Thanks

David

#2 sbradley07

sbradley07

Messenger

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:29 AM

No Mac support in sight.  

#3 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:38 AM

No there isn’t and there are no plans for it. NINA is built using software frameworks that are available only on Windows.

I am a Mac person through and through, myself, but I do run Windows for NINA and my Windows-only mount software on a low power industrial minipc on my mount. The minipc that I use is expensive but you can get effective i3-based ones for only a few hundred. I Remote Desktop into it using my macs or iPad/iPhone over the WiFi network that I extended to reach well into my yard. It’s a compromise that works quite well, and I am reminded of this whenever I grab my iPad in bed to check up on the session, occasionally as I watch tv, or on my main Mac as I catch up on work in my nice climate-controlled office.

#4 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:40 AM

You can use one of those emulators on a Mac to run Windows software, no?  But yah, as Steve said, there is no Mac version planned.  It's solidly a .NET solution.

#5 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:37 PM

I'm exclusively Windows and personally am not a fan of Apple's approach to just about everything, but I see that .NET 5 is available for MacOS here https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download

Edited by tjay, 22 November 2020 - 04:38 PM.

#6 Isbeorn

Isbeorn

Vendor - Creator and head of N.I.N.A.

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:08 PM

N.I.N.A. is built on .NET Framework 4.8 and WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) as its UI framework. Both are not cross platform. While .NET 5 might indicate an easy transition - it is not, as it uses .NET Core which cannot be transitioned to just by flicking a switch but rather a complex upgrade, with changes to code etc. And then still the UI Framework WPF is not cross platform capable.

• Ken Sturrock likes this

#7 Alfredo Beltran

Alfredo Beltran

Viking 1

• Loc: Bogota, Colombia

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

I guess the new Apple Silicon chips will also imply modifications because of its new architecture, right?

#8 david.shadrach

david.shadrach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:31 AM

No there isn’t and there are no plans for it. NINA is built using software frameworks that are available only on Windows.

I am a Mac person through and through, myself, but I do run Windows for NINA and my Windows-only mount software on a low power industrial minipc on my mount. The minipc that I use is expensive but you can get effective i3-based ones for only a few hundred. I Remote Desktop into it using my macs or iPad/iPhone over the WiFi network that I extended to reach well into my yard. It’s a compromise that works quite well, and I am reminded of this whenever I grab my iPad in bed to check up on the session, occasionally as I watch tv, or on my main Mac as I catch up on work in my nice climate-controlled office.

Thanks for the info. But it seems like too much of a challenge for my computer skill levels.

David

#9 david.shadrach

david.shadrach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:34 AM

N.I.N.A. is built on .NET Framework 4.8 and WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) as its UI framework. Both are not cross platform. While .NET 5 might indicate an easy transition - it is not, as it uses .NET Core which cannot be transitioned to just by flicking a switch but rather a complex upgrade, with changes to code etc. And then still the UI Framework WPF is not cross platform capable.

What a pity. A lot of people rave about your software. Thanks for the info.

David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics