•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Arp 145

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris MN

Chris MN

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cedar, MN

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:49 AM

Arp galaxies can be big, small or anywhere in-between and come in all shapes and sizes.  Some are common and some are not.  Arp 145 seems to fit the "not very common" category.  And with good reason.  Less than 2' in size and a very bright star nearby can make this difficult.  I have seen other pics of Arp 145 but 145 was more of an afterthought.  This pic is by no mean spectacular but it does focus only on Arp 145.

Arp 145 is an odd one.  Arp 145 is listed as "Material emanating from elliptical", do you see that? 

Anyway, I'll add this Arp to my "capture" list.  On to the next small Arp.

Taken with a C11 at f/11.3 riding on a MI-250 using a ST-8XME.  Six, 10 min subs.

Gotta have some focal length to bring these small Arp's in!

Chris N

Cedar, MN

Attached Thumbnails

• Arp 145.jpg

• Ptarmigan, rwstanley, astrovienna and 6 others like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:56 AM

Nice capture. I appreciate the technical difficulties with these small objects. I'm using the C14 at F11 and even that barely has enough image scale for the smaller fuzzies.

My latest challenge is ARP 273 and its proving a pig from my light polluted skies. I've also come to realise that a starry nice does not neccessarily mean its going to be transparent which is so important for these smaller objects to get any detail.

Good luck.

Edited by pyrasanth, 22 November 2020 - 07:57 AM.

#3 Chris MN

Chris MN

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:08 AM

Arp 273 with the C11........

Good luck with yours!

I'm 20 miles north of Minneapolis so yeah, not the best skies.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• Arp 273.jpg

Edited by Chris MN, 22 November 2020 - 10:09 AM.

• rwstanley, astrovienna, R Botero and 2 others like this

#4 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

Nice capture. This is one I haven't had a chance to go after with my 12" RC (definitely shorter than your C-11). I looked at my old AT6RC image and it is barely there beyond being small.

Thanks for posting,

Dan

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

Arp 273 with the C11........

Good luck with yours!

I'm 20 miles north of Minneapolis so yeah, not the best skies.

Chris

Hi Chris,

That's a nice smooth L channel. The capture is going well however the data in each sub is much fainter than I thought it would be. I'm using 3 minute subs which is about the maximum under my sky condition before signal gets covered by noise pollution. I'm currently running RGBL capture but when I have enough RGB I will switch to exclusive L capture. I will need probably 20 RGB subs in each channel & perhaps 50 L subs to really smooth the background.

Did you capture any RGB for your image?

If not let me know & I can send you the 3 calibrated RGB masters to add to your image when I'm done.

Best wishes

Mark

Edited by pyrasanth, 22 November 2020 - 03:13 PM.

#6 Chris MN

Chris MN

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:35 AM

I di not capture any RGB subs.....

Chris

#7 astrovienna

astrovienna

Gemini

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:08 AM

Chris, that's a really interesting object. I wonder if it's really a galaxy?  It certainly could pass for a planetary nebula.  And nice capture on Arp 273. I'm working on this one right now.

Kevin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics