•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dual threads

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:14 AM

Looks like I need to do better research before purchasing. Snagged an L-extreme and figured it would be like other filters I've seen and the one I have that are threaded on both ends.

It only has a male thread that I can put in my T ring but then I can't attach anything after that. With other filters it would go camera, t ring, filter, flattener/reducer, telescope.

Is there any fix to this at all? Seems odd that Optlong only threads one side of a filter. How else do other people use these?

http://imgur.com/a/I54uy6d

Edited by pcardinal42, 22 November 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:53 AM

You could look at the various "adapters" on ScopeStuff.  smile.gif   They probably have something that will work for your setup.

• pcardinal42 likes this

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Vanguard

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:55 AM

I've got a couple filters that only have the male thread. The only solution I've found is for visual use only - installed in the barrel of the diagonal or the eyepiece.

• pcardinal42 likes this

#4 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:43 AM

You could look at the various "adapters" on ScopeStuff. smile.gif They probably have something that will work for your setup.

Checking it out now thank you

#5 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:44 AM

I've got a couple filters that only have the male thread. The only solution I've found is for visual use only - installed in the barrel of the diagonal or the eyepiece.

Unfortunately this is for imaging so unless I find a solution fast I'll be returning the filter for something else.

#6 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:36 PM

Mine found it's place in my manual filter wheel (position 4), and has been performing great for me.

374301-_op_l_ext_filter_testing_w.jpg

• pcardinal42 likes this

#7 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:58 PM

Mine found it's place in my manual filter wheel (position 4), and has been performing great for me.

I'm not quite at the level of needing a filter wheel. I just use a dslr and I'm wanting to upgrade to a color camera so probably still won't use a filter wheel.
374301-_op_l_ext_filter_testing_w.jpg

#8 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:04 PM

"I'm not quite at the level of needing a filter wheel. I just use a dslr and I'm wanting to upgrade to a color camera so probably still won't use a filter wheel."

You might eventually want a filter wheel though. I don't really use mine like most do. I tend to use it as a filter storage, and can crank my wanted filter into place. (Manual type wheel, OSC camera)

Maybe if you called where you got it they can offer a better idea. Or a different option.

Maybe even a snap in version for your Sony.

Mine is still very new to me, and it seems to still be attracting clouds like all new equipment does. lol.gif

But tonight is supposed to be clear.... cool.gif wink.gif

#9 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:07 PM

Found my solution. Just need to figure out how to unmount my filter so I can mount it back inside this..
https://www.baader-p...).html?___SID=U
  • wrvond likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics