•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss Deltrintem question.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ruger

Ruger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:04 PM

A friend has a mint pair of Zeiss Deltrintem 8x30's, he just had them professionally cleaned and serviced. My questions are, below the "8x30" is a symbol kind of like an alarm clock with an arrow pointing through the 12:00 o'clock position, what does this indicate? Second, what is a fair value for both buyer and seller? Thanks.

#2 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

Check eBay for prices, but clean ones should pull $150 or more. The leather cases hurt older ones but the 80s model ones are often clean inside AFAIK. I personally avoided UK ones due to humidity there.

Prices are likely limited by a very healthy supply. But cleaned and serviced ones, no clue on the price boost, I doubt over $200 despite the cost of a service being $250 or so.

There are a couple of 'Jenoptem fake' detector sites are well as Deltrintem history sites on the web.

Jenoptems were supposed to be the same guts in an easier and less expensive to manufacture housing.

Love my multiciated 80s Deltrintems, but my Nippon Kagaku Nikon 9x35s just nudged them.aside a bit. The Nikon's are really sharp and contrasty. So good that even seemingly minor oil smears impaired them, something I did not expect, and now pay more attention to before evaluating binos. My 50s Nacht Dialyts jumped ahead in contract and even sharpness when really minimal fogging was removed from the Abbe Koenig prism faces.

IIRC the symbol is a superimposed Q1, briefly used to indicate 'export quality' Deltrintems. It was not used long, and its absence is not a problem for CN shoppers. Any bought in the US or western Europe are likely to be export quality (and I doubt the home market models were generally worse).

Searching for 'Deltrintem Q1 ' on duckduckgo got faster hits than I've gotten before.

One of many

https://www.allbinos...intem_8x30.html

Edited by markb, 22 November 2020 - 12:47 PM.

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#3 cnuser

cnuser

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

The pictures from allbinos don't show the 1Q-Sign. There are a lot of pictures in german EBay.

https://www.ebay.de/...nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

With start of multiple coating (MC, multicoated) in 1978 Deltrintems get an other label, "Jenoptem multicoated" (without 1Q-sign). 1Q or Q1 stands for first quality. Other qualities weren't not produced, all bins from the start of labeling has this sign. ;-)

1Q was selled not only for export, all later Deltrintems for the people in East Germany (German Democratic Republic) was also labeled with 1Q. Export Products has often the label "Jena" or "aus Jena", not Carl Zeiss Jena. There was a label conflict between Carl Zeiss Jena and Zeiss West (Oberkochen) after division of Germany first in 4 occupation zones, then in 2 states after World War II.

Evaluation, Separation genuine vs original: http://holgermerlitz.de/jenoptem.html

Usually Ebay-value without warranty and return (cat in the bag) for Deltrintems and Jenoptems in Europe are 70...90 Euro (used but very good) to 150...180 Euro (like new). Jenoptems are labeled with multicoated, most Deltrintems are single coated, darker, lower contrast. Jenoptems 8x30 have more veiling glare then Deltrintems. Jenoptems 10x50 are better. The best CZJ bins are series Nobilem, Octarem, Dodecarem and military EDF 7x40 (yellow radiation resistent glass, laser filter, reticle) or civil late CZJ and Docter 7x40 B/GA without reticle, without laser filter, without yellow radiation resistant glass. But with a mass of around 1 kg and IF. 

Edited by cnuser, 22 November 2020 - 03:04 PM.

#4 Gumball

Gumball

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:11 PM

Post your question on this forum, there are several members who are very knowledgeable:

https://www.wehrmach...ics-forum?f=113

#5 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:21 AM

A friend has a mint pair of Zeiss Deltrintem 8x30's, he just had them professionally cleaned and serviced. My questions are, below the "8x30" is a symbol kind of like an alarm clock with an arrow pointing through the 12:00 o'clock position, what does this indicate? Second, what is a fair value for both buyer and seller? Thanks.

Very informative and accurate answer from cnuser.

I own a Jenoptem and a Deltrintem. I personally find the Deltrintem much more comfortable due to the design of the eyepiece. I noticed less glare in the Deltrintem despite not having the T3M multicoatings of the Jenoptem. here my review:

https://www.cloudyni...ss-jena-review/

in any case, both are amazing vintage binoculars.

Clear skies!

Carlos

• j.gardavsky likes this

#6 cnuser

cnuser

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:31 AM

Very good report/review, Carlos. Are you sure about the different eyepieces of Deltrintem and Jenoptem? Imho both have wide angle Erfle eyepieces with 5 lenses. Very early (before 1945?) Deltrintems had König eyepieces with 4 lenses. Between Jenoptems 8x30 and Deltrintems there are at least small mechanical differences, simplifications  - besides T3M coating. Maybe you notice small differences in the field of view due to changes of the eyecups - not changes in the eyepiece optics? Or you mean the mechanical box (I have no better term) of eye pieces? Best regards and much fun with your classic unmortable bins.

Edited by cnuser, 23 November 2020 - 05:48 AM.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#7 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:39 AM

Very good report/review, Carlos. Are you sure about the different eyepieces of Deltrintem and Jenoptem? Imho both have wide angle Erfle eyepieces with 5 lenses. Very early (before 1945?) Deltrintems had König eyepieces with 4 lenses. Between Jenoptems 8x30 and Deltrintems there are at least small mechanical differences, simplifications  - besides T3M coating. Maybe you notice small differences in the field of view due to changes of the eyecups - not changes in the eyepiece optics? Or you mean the mechanical box (I have no better term) of eye pieces? Best regards and much fun with your classic unmortable bins.

Hi cnuser,

Is my impression that both my Deltrintem and Jenoptem have the same eyepiece lens construction and the difference in the perceived field of view is caused by the difference in diameter of the eyecup (4 mm wider in the Deltrintem).

MfG / regards!

Carlos

• cnuser likes this

#8 cnuser

cnuser

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:05 AM

Sorry Carlos, I hadn't read the thread that far down. This is completely new to me and also incomprehensible that CZJ reduced the diameter of the eyepiece lenses for the same field of view and eye relief of Deltrintem and Jenoptem 8x30. Thanks for the info and stay healthy.

https://www.cloudyni...ss-jena-review/
(Post #18)

Edited by cnuser, 23 November 2020 - 10:49 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics